Old November 22nd 05, 11:24 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Homework for a 5 year old - how much involvement needed.

In article .com,
wrote:

They do really require that homework be handed in. So about the best you
can do is to slough off on the assignment and turn in a poor product. But there
are two problem with that:

1. My son wanted to do a decent job. Letter grade or no.
2. Is this something I'd ever want to teach anyway??!? (Even skippin the
homework?)

I had an advisor in grad school who told me that the most important
thing to learn was what jobs should be done poorly. I've never been
sure what to make of that, but there's probably something there.

Of course there is. If I'm measuring medication or my child, I will put in
some effort to get the amount right. But I don't measure the amount of pepper
I put in a stew. You make things as good as they need to be. If homework is
worth 5% of the final mark, you don't spend much time on it -- if it's 80%,
you do.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.