Old May 26th 05, 07:06 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Zara wrote:

I went for my first ultrasound last monday, at 8 weeks, and the doctor
found out a big mass coming out of the baby's tummy, and they suspect
it can be omphalocele. It is more or less as big as the tummy itself.

I'm going back at 10 weeks for the second u/s, and if it's still there
they'll probably offer to do a CVS.

Is there anyone out there that saw this so early, and when did they
confirm the diagnosis?
And especially, did anyone see this, and then it disappeared and their
baby was fine?

Hmm...my understanding, which may be out of date, is that
it's not really an omphalocele until and unless the intestines
fail to go back into the abdomen in the 10-12th weeks--and most
of the time they do. Some even go back later than 12-18 weeks.
It seems like maybe 10 weeks is a bit on the early side to be
rechecking. On the other hand, since omphalocele is associated
with a higher risk of chromosomal defects, doing CVS gives you
the earliest heads up as to whether something more serious is
going on, but it comes at a risk and seeing this mass at 10 weeks
isn't necessarily a great indicator that there will be an
omphalocele.
Bottom line: it's common for something like this seen
at 8 weeks to disappear, and it's certainly possible that one
detected at 12-18 weeks will disappear (especially if it's not
a very large one).

Best wishes,
Ericka