Old May 23rd 04, 08:09 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:38:34 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

So you think that correct pronunciation is only an opinion?

Yep.

That's going to bring you a lot of trouble.

It hasn't thus far, and I'm past the age of 50, and have held that
position since kindergarten, when they tried to teach us that the
"correct" way to pronounce "which" was NOT exactly like "witch", but
more like "hwich". The fact that no one outside of class pronounced
it that way, including all the adults I knew including highly educated
ones, convinced me that pronunciation rules are not really followed.

If your present job is sweeping floors at McDonalds, when you go for a
job interview, if you pronounce "sweep" as "****" and "floors" as
"goats", you might say in response to the question, "What do you do in
your present job?", "I **** goats.", and this will cause great confusion
and misunderstanding.

Then the flaw is in my failing to make myself understood, not in my
mispronouncing words. There is a difference.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group