Old August 9th 05, 06:29 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:02:56 -0400, V. wrote:

This is way premature, but I was thinking about whether using Benadryl
during early labor would be a good way to get some rest while I still
can.

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, but I do know that once
labour starts, your hormones will take over control. You may not need any
sleep for 30 hours and you will still be able to have an intervention free
birth. It is truly amazing, but your body is build for it and you will
make up for the lost sleep afterwards.

What would be good to discuss with your doctor is how to get enough sleep
in the months and weeks *prior* to labour, since sleeping gets more and
more uncomfortable. If they can prescribe you a sleeping aid that is safe,
you will be as fit as possible. That is far more efficient than trying to
catch sleep during labour.

From personal experience: I got a pethidine injection (pain killer), and
due to that I drifted off between contractions with DS. I was overwhelmed
by each next contraction and this made it a lot harder to cope with them.

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)