Old June 19th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob W

Default OT Verizon DSL Dropping alt Newsgroups

"Gini" wrote in message
As of 6/24/2008, I will no longer have access to alt.child-support. As of
now, there don't seem to be any acceptable free newsreaders and I'm not
inclined to pay for access to alt groups since this is the only one I
read. Heh, I've been here for 11 years now, so maybe it's time to go--But,
damn it has been fun!

Welcome to the People's Republic of China. Dropping all alt.* newsgroups is
the same as China regulating Internet traffic.

We have NY democrat Cuomo to thank for this change. What I want to know is
how did Cuomo find 88 newsgroups with some child pornography on them out of
100,000 alt.* newsgroups? Forcing the shutdown of 100,000 groups to stop 88
doesn't seem like the American way of approaching law enforcement.

I went through the exploratory process for an add-on news service a few
years back because of crappy newsgroup access/service from my ISP. As long
as you don't download binaries very often you should easily find solid
newsgroup access for $5-8 per month. I went with Giganews' low-end GB
service at $7.99 per month and have been very pleased with their
reliability. There are others that cost less than that.