Old March 25th 04, 04:04 PM
Nikki

Default Opinions on induction??

Jill wrote:
I highly doubt I'd agree to an induction without a very darn good
reason, but I have been wondering "what if", if the doctors offer me
an induction because they think the baby is big.

I wouldn't do it for that reason in a million years and I had a successful
induction with #2 (induced post EDD for high blood pressure - no pitocin
needed).

it would take a lot of the unknown out, allow my husband to
have a better chance of being able to get off work without penalty,
alleviate my fears of the unknown etc,

I suppose everyone approaches this decision differently but for me the
induction caused enormous anxiety. The risks of induction, in my mind, far
outweighed any of those other factors (and we had some) because the
induction risks had to do with the actual process of birthing the baby. The
other things were all peripheral. I'd look for ways to address the other
issues without having to have an exact date because really that is all the
induction is offering you and there is a real possibility you could go into
labor before the induction anyway so should have a backup plan.

Would you rather deal with figuring out the other issues you are concerned
about now or end up with a disastrous, long, miserable labor and a c-section
and not being able to do a damn thing about it?

The long disastrous labor is not a given but it is a risk. The other issues
are just risks though too. You could avoid or decrease the risks of both by
letting the baby decide when he is ready and making arrangements ahead of
time for the other things.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)