Old September 8th 07, 09:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default Fussiness at the breast

Sounds like your child is having a reaction more likely from your
milk. Believe it or not they can taste certain flavors and spices
from food we eat ourselves distrubutited in thier breastmilk. It is
very important in the first few weeks of nursing to consume a very
bland diet.

That's rarely true. Some babies will dislike particular tastes, but
they're the exception rather than the rule. (I've heard some babies can
actually prefer the spicier tastes!) Of course, a mother *may* find
that she needs to avoid particular foods, but that's unusual and there
is no way I would advise this as a general measure to nursing mothers.
Any kind of reasonably healthy diet is almost always fine.

absolutely, roll on the blue cheese!

Also do not wash your breasts with soap when nursing as
infants will react to the bitter taste left behind from the soap and
not latch on.

Again, I really doubt that this is anything other than a rare problem.
Wash your breasts with whatever you like, unless you specifically think
there's a problem in which case you could try without soap for a while &
see how you get on.

hmm, it's not that infrequent that I've used a product on my hands,
probably not rinsed thoroughly enough and then put something in my mouth
with my fingers and got a nasty taste, but I have a suspicion that's not
happened with plain soap, but things like acne skin care products, or
anti dandruff shampoo, so it might not be a ridculous think to watch out
for - but it really shouldn't be a problem, it's not as if you have to
wash your breasts prior to feeding...

Anne