Old January 14th 05, 12:29 AM
Catherine Woodgold

"Jeff" ) writes:
I believe in natural consequences. The natural consequence if I pee in my
snow suit is that I have to wash it, my pants, underwear, etc. If you make
your son do this when he has an accident, I bet this will solve the problem.

Just explain to him that he may pee in his snowsuit all he wants, but he is
the one who gets to wash it and his clothes next time it happens.

I think that could do a lot more harm than good,
especially since he probably doesn't have complete
control over his peeing. I doubt he wants to
pee in his snowsuit at all.

A better natural consequence is that he's required to pee
just before going outside to play, and has to come in
perhaps every 2 hours to pee.

Whatever the natural consequence is, I think it's best
to present it very gently and tactfully to the child:
gently suggesting that the child pee before going out,
then getting more insistent if the child doesn't want to;
avoiding saying "you have to" or even worse "you can't".

Once you tell the child he has to wash his pants,
you're stuck: if he refuses, you have to either "give in",
or apply some other consequence or
harsh coercive tactic. Neither is a good
choice. He may be likely to refuse because he feels
it wasn't his fault and because he's embarassed.

Not a very positive way to introduce a child to the
everyday task of doing laundry!
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.