Old December 22nd 05, 11:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:32:56 +0000, Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm really confused as to why you or your doc think there is mastitis, you
can have mastitis without a fever, but only with obvious signs of infection
in the breast, which usually means lumps of some sort. Just pain would imply
thrush to me, not mastitis.

Dr Sears recommends delaying on the antibiotics and following the cure of
nurse nurse nurse, on the affected side, it clears everything out, including
the infected material. From what you have said you don't currently need
antibiotics, but you might in 24 hrs. see
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp

The next breastfeeding drop ins in town are both on Friday, I can send you
details if you want.

Anne

Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear. There are no lumps such as a blocked
duct but what I have matches quite a few on that list. Specifically:

# Part or all of the breast is intensely painful, hot, tender, red,
and swollen. Some mothers can pinpoint a definite area of inflammation,
while at other times the entire breast is tender.

My whole areola and around it is as described above. It is also feeling
quite hard, which according to the GP is another symptom.

Also:

# You feel tired, run down, achy, have chills or think you have the flu.
A breastfeeding mother who thinks she has the flu probably has mastitis.
Mothers with mastitis will sometimes experience these flu-like symptoms,
even before they get a fever or notice breast tenderness.

I don't feel like I have flu but the first 3 apply and I was sure I was
coming down with a cold as DS and DH have one.

# You are feeling progressively worse, your breasts are growing more
tender, and your fever is becoming more pronounced. With simple
engorgement, a plugged duct, or mastitis without infection, you gradually
feel better instead of worse.

I certainly noticed between the two feeds the night before last it was
getting worse, where the second feed was very painful.

# Recent events have set you up for mastitis: cracked or bleeding nipples,
stress or getting run down, missed feedings or longer intervals between
feedings.

Definitely stressed and run down .

I have been pumping every two hours except at night where I pumped
after 4 and he fed after 5. Each time I made sure the breast was as empty
as it can be. Already I feel better and this mornings feed was far less
painful so I will go back to full on nursing. The problem is as I said
before, he pulls hard on the nipple and areola area (possinly a change in
the taste of the milk, as sugged in that article and on kellymom I think)
so it really hurt. Now the swelling has subsided a little it's bearable.

I don't it's thrush as there are none of the usual symptoms on me or him,
but thanks for the info.

Jeni