Old February 23rd 04, 12:54 AM
Cheryl

Default info on inductions

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:43:51 +1300, "Amy"
wrote:

However, everything I've read since has opened a real can of worms for me,
and I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I (foolishly) didn't even
consider that induction for a live baby might be done differently. Best case
scenario I can think of for me, is that I go into labour early naturally
just before a planned induction. That would save worrying about all this.
One thing I'm wondering, is it possible and safe to attempt to ripen the
cervix by prostaglandins etc beforehand, and see if I don't go into labour
naturally before trying anything with pitocin? Or could there be
complications with that too?

The fact that you've had one vaginal birth before, regardless of how
it happened or when, gives you a huge advantage when it comes to
having your second baby induced. There was a poster here year before
last who had an unexplained term stillbirth and was induced for the
same reason as you with her next baby. It went well from what I
remember. She had gone backwards and forwards on the induction issue
right up until 39w and then made the decision that it was more
stressful to wait for spontaneous labour than to have the induction.

Generally most inductions are started with cervical ripening anyway
but you have to be careful about which medication they use. If your
cervix is very ripe they might start the induction with AROM or
pitocin but usually they will try to make sure that the cervix is very
ready before either of those.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)