Old January 28th 04, 09:39 PM
Sophie

Default The Prenatal Yoga Deck

"Karen" wrote in message
k.net...
I haven't seen the cards you're referring to, but I took prenatal yoga
through pg #1 and am again with this pg. Best time, money, and effort
spent, in my opinion, which is why we've made it a
come-hell-or-highwater priority this second time around. And yoga is a
lot more than just becoming "limber," it builds a lot of strength and
stamina, which believe me you WILL need for a vaginal birth,

I'm, having a c-section, specifically why I said I need it anyway, not for
the birth.

especially
if you're going natural, and the breathing and relaxing techniques you
learn are also directly applicable to birth. Many of the poses are
things that can help you feel more comfortable during labor and a lot of
things we do in class focus on opening of the hips and on relieving
physical strain and difficulties which are particular to being pregnant,
such as sciatica pain.

I had sciatica with my first pregnancy. How moly, was that ever painful.
Another reason why I want to do this - I'm older, 4th time, I don't want to
feel bad, especially in the hot summer months. I'll be big, that's bad
enough - lol.

The book Larry mantioned is also quite good, we took a one day partners
workshop based on a lot of material from that book.

So I definitely recommend prenatal yoga to anyone of any fitness level
and any stage of pregnancy, but I do think that if you've never taken
yoga before that you should be in a class with an experienced prenatal
teacher, rather than home alone with a book or a tape or what have you.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-