Old April 9th 05, 12:09 AM
Kevin Karplus

On 2005-04-08, Dawn wrote:
An 46 year old friend of mine recently told me that he has just learned
he has been tying his shoes wrong his whole life. He never understood
why his would untie so often -- he was skipping the initial knot. So I
think the record is safely out of reach for your son!

He may be too old for this, but I still sometimes use the "bunny ear"
approach -- tie a simple underhand knot and then fashion two "bunny
ear" loops, and tie those in a second underhand knot. I find this
actually holds better than the traditional way.

If you want an easy-to-use, unlikely-to-slip way to tie shoes, I
recommend the method in
http://www.becomingtheparent.com/all/subsection15.html

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.