Old December 21st 05, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics

I have just been prescribed antibiotics to clear up mastitis . The GP I
saw advised me not to feed on that side for while but pump. Can I keep the
pumped milk for later use? He said it's no problem bf'ing with the
antibiotics so I can't see a problem but thought I'd check.

Thankfully I caught the mastitis before I got a fever or any other nasty
effects. There are no lumps or blocked ducts. I assume I don't need to
feed on this side because there is nothing to clear - is that correct?
It's horribly painful so I don't want to feed on that side for a few days
if it's not necessary. I think pumping will be hard enough but at least I
only have to do enough to relieve engorgement. DS has a very tight grip
and has taken to pulling in the nipple, so it would be worse than pumping.
Last night was agony but I kept going for 20 mins before I couldn't bear
it any longer and had to switch sides!)

Thanks

Jeni