Old December 22nd 05, 05:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:02:28 +0000, Anne Rogers wrote:

great stuff, sounds like mastitis really is what you have and that you
should be taking the antibiotics, hope things are beginning to feel better,

Thanks. TBH I wasn't 100% as I didn't have the blocked ducts and high
fever, but that has clarified things for me.

I would still encourage you to nurse nurse nurse on the affected side as
much as possible, particularly as you mention your nipple is tender,
pumping puts pressure on it in a different way, if I am feeling sore at
all, bad though feeding is, pumping is worse!

Normally this would apply to me too but because DS keeps pulling on it it
was worse. But back to nursing now - or I would be if he would wake u.
Been out for our work Xmas lunch and he's been asleep in his car seat
since DH left to pick me up an hour and a half ago!

Hope you get better

soon

Thanks. Feeling much better already.

Anne

PS I particularly feel for you just before Christmas I had mastitis just
before Christmas 2 years ago and was on a 10 day course of antibiotics
with a higher dose for the first 3 days, Christmas morning was day 5 and
when I woke up my breast was a mess, at about 2pm I gave in and called
the doctor, expecting stronger antibiotics, but he sent me straight to
the hospital and I ended up with IV antibiotics!

Uggh, how horrible for you.

The next 2 times I
stopped antibiotics exactly the same thing would happen, next morning,
hugely inflammed, I guess there must have been a really stubborn bug in
there. I'm now having a big of a panic as I have a plugged duct in the
same location as the section that was infected that time and I've just
looked and my nipple looks red :-(

. It's certainly not a thing to hang around and wait to see if it's get
better really is it. I'm not keen on the side effect of antibiotics
(although I seem ok with this lot so far) but it's better than the
horriblness of mastitis. It's typical because I was feeling that at least
the chance of me getting it were less as DH still feeds so often!. Clearly
not so.

I hope you are ok.

Jeni