Old March 12th 07, 02:04 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

Default Behind the ear Discharge?

"Professor of sour cabbage soup" wrote in message
My 1 year 3 month old son has some strange discharge behind the
ear. That's not from inside the ear, it is from behind the ear, in a
crevice where the skin of the outer ear meets the back of the
head. The discharge dries to a substance that looks like dried egg
yolk. The kid is not scratching that area, and looks generally
happy. I cleaned that area with water and dried with tissue paper, but
the discharge continues and that area stays wet.

Should I worry, and is there a medical term that I should read about.

-Poscs

It sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, which is similar to cradle cap, but
commonly appears behind the ears, in the naso-labial folds, and the
eyebrows, and can plague adults as well as children. It flares up in the
winter, gets better in the summer, and is more common in fair-skinned
people.

Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a yeast , so shampoos like Nizoral or
T-gel will help, or a doctor can prescribe a cream.