Old March 1st 04, 06:43 AM
Kereru

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

"Marie" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:31:22 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:
1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

If the man is going to be a father he really should get over it and
want the best for his children!

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

Ok that's just an odd excuse. I think mine are unattractive but they
sure make the babies grow.

3) it's just *icky*

Yeah those are really silly reasons!

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

Sometimes you have to be "selfish" I didn't breastfeed for long and I don't
make excuses, I had a reason for giving up. I had PND with my babies and it
was crucially important that my life was as easy as possible. I didn't find
breastfeeding easy it really stressed me out.

I was able to breastfeed and I have no hesitation in saying I made the right
decision in giving up.

Judy