Old December 21st 05, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:50:09 +0800, Lara wrote:

Jen wrote:

I have just been prescribed antibiotics to clear up mastitis . The GP I
saw advised me not to feed on that side for while but pump. Can I keep the
pumped milk for later use? He said it's no problem bf'ing with the
antibiotics so I can't see a problem but thought I'd check.

There is absolutely no medical reason to stop feeding on a breast with
mastitis. On the contrary, frequent feeding with complete emptying will
speed its resolution and help prevent abscess formation. Sometimes extra
pumping after a feed can help this further (or possibly expressing one
or two sessions if feeding is just too painful - but only if you empty
really well while expressing. Just taking the top off engorgement raises
your risk of mastitis complications), but please don't feel like you
should stop feeding!

Lots more here
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Lara

That's very helpful, thanks. It has been much less painful to express then
feed the bottle than have him feed. Also, he's still a bit of a lazy eater
and has never been good at draining the breast, so it actually works out
better if I express fully. I'll only do it until the pain subsides, except
his 4/5am feed when I'll just have to grimace and bear it. I'm not faffing
around with pumps at that time of the morning!. Mind you, he always sleeps
longer when he has bottles so he might actually go longer tonight as he's
already had two 60ml bottles since lunchtime (plus the other breast at
each feed).

Jeni