Old December 22nd 05, 02:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics

great stuff, sounds like mastitis really is what you have and that you
should be taking the antibiotics, hope things are beginning to feel better,
I would still encourage you to nurse nurse nurse on the affected side as
much as possible, particularly as you mention your nipple is tender, pumping
puts pressure on it in a different way, if I am feeling sore at all, bad
though feeding is, pumping is worse!

Hope you get better soon

Anne

PS I particularly feel for you just before Christmas I had mastitis just
before Christmas 2 years ago and was on a 10 day course of antibiotics with
a higher dose for the first 3 days, Christmas morning was day 5 and when I
woke up my breast was a mess, at about 2pm I gave in and called the doctor,
expecting stronger antibiotics, but he sent me straight to the hospital and
I ended up with IV antibiotics! The next 2 times I stopped antibiotics
exactly the same thing would happen, next morning, hugely inflammed, I guess
there must have been a really stubborn bug in there. I'm now having a big of
a panic as I have a plugged duct in the same location as the section that
was infected that time and I've just looked and my nipple looks red :-(