Used infant/child carseats - what the heck to do with them?

Old September 20th 06, 02:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

Default Donating baby stuff. Was: Used infant/child carseats - what the heck to do with them?

Tori M wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Tori M" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"bizby40" wrote in
news
Of course there are sometimes drives for specific things
-- shoes, coats, backpacks, and books for example -- that
will be distributed directly to those in need at no cost,
and that's great. But then many of these drives are
looking for brand new things. The Salvation Army
Christmas tree for example requires everything to be
brand new. As did the Katrina and Iraq school supplies
drives that my school and church participated in.

you know, that ****es me off... the *truly needy* don't
CARE if the stuff is new or used. while i think those who
"donate" thier broken trash are contemptable, i find the
"needy" who *demand* new, unused items to be pretty
contemptable too. there *is* such a thing as being
grateful for what you receive, especially if you get it as
a gift.

One of my favorite "new" pieces of furnature is my couch..
it is old and it is ugly and really if it was at a yard
sale I wouldnt have bought it but my SIL brought it to us
and we just love it.. I must admit though I have day dreams
of owning a couch set that actualy matches :P

i *love* "side of the road" furniture. usually out here it's
stuff that didn't sell at the yard sale (which i don't get.
don't people haggle at yard sales? if i offer you $5 for that
dresser, & you say 'no', then i come back after the sale &
pick it up for free, who wins?g), but my friend in NYC has
some really cool stuff from off the curb.
we did get one fold-a-bed thing that had belonged to a heavy
smoker & was kept in a basement or shed, because it *reeked*
and we could NOT get the smell out (3 bottles of Febreeze &
one of Clorox odor remover. only made it smell worse. Febreeze
stinks!)... so it went back by the road & on to the next
person...
as to 'matching' your couch to other furniture, you can do a
couple things. the easiest is to declare your decorating style
as 'eclectic' & presto! everything matches
or you can cover your furniture in matching sheet sets
(cheap) or chair/couch covers (more expensive). i've used the
sheets for years, but my current couch has a denim cover.
still use the sheets on the back porch comfy chair though.
lee

I had covered the couch with a really pretty bed spread and even Jeff liked
it. I wish I knew something about recovering couches but I dont think I
have yet to get it to stop smelling like a wet dog. Jeff doesnt mind and he
sits on it more then I do. We have a love seat given to us by a lady at
church. It is 30 years old and the only thing wrong with it is that the
zipper on one of the cushins broke when I was trying to figure out if I
could take it off to wash it..

Tori

Our couch and matching chairs are old ( vintage 1920's) and used,
purchased at a 'students furniture exchange' back in the grad school
days. We used them in their 'used and crazy and why would they
upholster it with *that* mode' for about 10 years, then sent them o
prison to be reupholstered. Took a looong time (3 months? 4 months?),
cost about $750 total for 1 couch and 2 chairs, and it's really
spectacular now. Heavy as anything, but just great.

Perhaps your local prison offers reupholstering services? It's worth
checking out; we're determined to keep these pieces for the next
umpty-ump years, and feel that all told, $750 was worth it.

Caledonia

Old September 20th 06, 04:39 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On 18 Sep 2006 14:15:46 -0700, "-L." wrote:

We also had a specific charity in Evanston

Evanston, Illinois? IME, private charities in the Chicago 'burbs do a
pretty good job of supporting the communities.

Yep, Evanston, IL. And yes, the suburban charities were good in our
area and in most of the burbs on the northside. I don't know anything
about the south or west suburbs, but ours were very good.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits