Well, is this child abuse? I would say so!

Old January 3rd 04, 08:45 AM
c1c0

Default Well, is this child abuse? I would say so!

It's not child abuse, it's just brainless. I never considered Irwin
intelligent, he often underestimates the danger of animals believing to be
untouchable. One day there'll be a croc showing him how nature works.

Anna

Old January 3rd 04, 08:46 AM
c1c0

"The Ranger" ha scritto nel messaggio
[misc.consumers trimmed from cross-post]
Wm Harmon wrote in message
Irwin Takes Baby to Crocodile Feeding

[snip]
This may not be abuse but definite "endangerment!"

BFS! Steve Irwin's man-child was never in ANY danger! None. Nada. Zip.

There was no abuse. No risk. _No_ _danger_.

The Ranger

Who are you, Steve Irwin? LOL!

Anna

Old January 3rd 04, 08:56 AM
york

George Stillwell wrote in message ...
Irwin Takes Baby to Crocodile Feeding

i wish he'd strap me to his chest and wave me in front of his croky-dile!

lucky kid.

john
Old January 3rd 04, 09:33 AM
P. Tierney

"John Smith" wrote in message
r.com...

borders on endangerment but not abuse

"Borders" at worst, I agree.

It also goes well over the border of something that would be
completely ignored were he not a celebrity.

But, it's important that people be allowed to make
distant judgements upon the actions of the rich and famous.
Ben. J-Lo. Jacko. They are my life.

P. Tierney

Old January 3rd 04, 09:36 AM
Rubystars

"George Stillwell" wrote in message
snip

I think Steve knows what he's doing. It's not like he was dangling the baby
over the crocodile.

I'm also not really clear on the details.. was Steve up on one of those
platforms, or really close to the croc?

-Rubystars

Old January 3rd 04, 11:33 AM
Liz

"Rubystars" wrote in message
y.com...

"George Stillwell" wrote in message
snip

I think Steve knows what he's doing. It's not like he was dangling the

baby
over the crocodile.

I'm also not really clear on the details.. was Steve up on one of those
platforms, or really close to the croc?

-Rubystars

The footage shows him holding Bob sort of tucked under one arm (no head
support at all) and with meat held out for the croc in the other. As the
croc snaps at the food his jaws wouldn't be more than 2 feet from the baby.
As well, Steve kind of "dances" the baby along the ground in the enclosure
near the pool but you can't see where the animal is.

I just think it was a really stupid thing to do in public. Surely someone
might have pointed out to him that people would have an issue with seeing a
1 month old being hauled around in an enclosure with a rather large croc.
All the more seeing that one young man was recently killed rather nastily by
a wild croc that had his 2 friends treed overnight while it moved around
underneath. He seemed very less-than-impressed on TV tonight about the fuss
being made.

Liz

Old January 3rd 04, 12:39 PM
Arklier

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:45:00 GMT, "c1c0"
wrote:

It's not child abuse, it's just brainless. I never considered Irwin
intelligent, he often underestimates the danger of animals believing to be
untouchable. One day there'll be a croc showing him how nature works.

Anna

I very much doubt it. He's been working with crocs and deadly snakes
for decades. As for the child endangerment situation, I doubt the
child was ever in danger. He must have had complete confidence in the
situation, else he wouldn't have done it.

--

If you can't figure out my address, you need help.

Girl gamer since 1984,

Atari/NES/Genesis/SNES/DC/GBA/GC/PS1-2/Xbox/PC gamer
Old January 3rd 04, 01:17 PM
c1c0

wrote:

It's not child abuse, it's just brainless. I never considered Irwin
intelligent, he often underestimates the danger of animals believing to

be
untouchable. One day there'll be a croc showing him how nature works.

Anna

I very much doubt it. He's been working with crocs and deadly snakes
for decades. As for the child endangerment situation, I doubt the
child was ever in danger. He must have had complete confidence in the
situation, else he wouldn't have done it.

You CAN'T say 'the croc was completely under my control'. It's impossible to
keep control over a free roaming (beeing in the same room with it makes it
free roaming) animal of that size. That's overestimation. I remember once he
was waiting in the cave where lived several big anacondas. A big one entered
and attacked and constricted him. If it wasn't for the other members of the
team he would've been death now. One day there'll be noone to save him from
himself.

Anna

Old January 3rd 04, 01:39 PM
simpleton

steve reminds me of one of those loser parents that leaves their kid in the
car when they run into a store, only to find their car was stolen while they
were inside. neither thought they were endangering their child but the
reality was quite different.
the guy is a dweeb with really flawed judgement.

"Liz" wrote in message
u...
y.com...

Old January 3rd 04, 03:11 PM
Me

In article ,
"Sue Larson" wrote:

I would not say this is child abuse; I would say that it is poor judgment
and a pathetic excuse to get attention from the cameras.

I agree. This "event" was shown on one of the TV news show last night.
What seemed worse to me than having the baby so close to the deadly
crockodile is the way the guy was holding his baby, not supporting his
head. He needs some lessons on how to hold a baby.