Supernanny..have you seen it yet?

Old February 14th 05, 11:45 PM
shinypenny

Circe wrote:
I agree that it seems to be the recommendation, but it does assume

that
the fire never starts in the room you're sleeping in! I mean, if the
fire starts in another room, of course the door will keep the smoke
from coming into your room, but if it starts in the room you're in,

it
might help everyone else in the house to have your door closed but

it's
not much help to you!

I'm sure it's very much safer to sleep with the doors closed if there
are smoke detectors in each individual room. My feeling, though, is
that if the smoke detectors are in the hallway (which seems to be the
case in many homes, including my own), then it is actually safer to
sleep with the doors open because if the fire starts *behind* a

closed
door and there's no smoke detector on that side of the door, it will

be
very much longer before anyone realizes there is a fire at all.
--
Be well, Barbara

Well, I'm no fire expert, but I believe the issue is that if a fire
starts, you don't want to suck air into it because that would cause it
to spread a lot faster. So, even if the fire starts in your own
bedroom, if the door is closed, I should think it would spread slower
than if the door is open and it has a flow of air feeding it.

jen (who's DD10 slept for a long time with her blankie pinned to her
jammies, because she feared fires and wanted to ensure she had blankie
with her in the event of an emergency)

Old February 15th 05, 08:06 AM
bizby40

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
jen (who's DD10 slept for a long time with her blankie pinned to her
jammies, because she feared fires and wanted to ensure she had blankie
with her in the event of an emergency)

DS, who is 6, for a while slept with every one of his favorite stuffed
animals stuffed into his pillow case so he could grab it and run in case of
a fire.

Bizby

Old February 15th 05, 01:31 PM
shinypenny

bizby40 wrote:
"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
jen (who's DD10 slept for a long time with her blankie pinned to

her
jammies, because she feared fires and wanted to ensure she had

blankie
with her in the event of an emergency)

DS, who is 6, for a while slept with every one of his favorite

stuffed
animals stuffed into his pillow case so he could grab it and run in

case of
a fire.

When my DD went through this stage, we just happened to have the
firemen come around collecting for their annual fundraiser. The fireman
who knocked on our door was great! I told him how DD was worried about
fires and fretting over her blankie. He patiently explained to her the
safety rules, and reassured her that in the event of a fire they would
do their best to make sure blankie didn't get left behind. Then DD
(must've been about 4 - preschool age) gave him some quarters from her
allowance to contribute to the cause. It was so cute! Later she drew
him a picture and had me mail it to the fire station. She slept a lot
better after that.

jen

Old February 15th 05, 03:21 PM
Irene

Here to there wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005 11:25:48 -0800, Irene wrote:
A lot of building codes around here (Illinois) require smoke

detectors
both in an area close to the bedrooms, *and* in each bedroom. They

are
also required to be interconnected, so if one goes off, they all go
off. Of course, this only applies to new construction.

It also depends on your local building department. We finished

off
the basement in our 50 year old house two years ago. But in order to

get it approved, we needed to have interconnected, AC powered alarms
installed in all of the bedrooms, as well as the adjoining hallways,
on the other floors. As far as I could tell, our local building

dept.
was requiring the new alarm system for ANY kinds of interior work
that required a permit.

For the sake of simplicity, I skipped over remodeling issues - sorry!
Of course, it all depends on the local codes. (I'm an architect, btw,
so this is near & dear to me...)

The cynic in me wonders how much of a kickback they're getting
from the local electrical contractors. ;-)

Usually those changes are actually requested by the fire departments -
though I'm sure the electricians like to get those calls! Around here,
some places are requiring sprinklers in all new houses - I'm sure the
sprinkler contractors are doing much better on that requirement than
the electricians are for a few smoke detectors!

Irene

Old February 15th 05, 03:44 PM
LisaBell

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:50:27 -0600, toto
wrote:

On 12 Feb 2005 16:29:26 -0800, "shinypenny"
wrote:

With that said, I've always thought we're all supposed to sleep with
our doors closed because it's safer in the event of a fire.

That seems to be the recommendation.

http://www.firesafetytips.com/default.htm

Conduct a family meeting and discuss the following topics:

Always sleep with the bedroom doors closed. This will keep
deadly heat and smoke out of bedrooms, giving you additional
time to escape.

Fire is not a big hazard for us. Homes here are almost always
constructed from concrete/concrete block, with ceramic tile floors and
very little wood. Very few people have an open fire. I don't think
smoke detectors are required at all for private dwellings - I don't
know of any home that has them, anyway, either in the bedrooms or out.

--Lisa bell
Mom to Gabriella (6.5) and Michaela (almost 5)

Old February 15th 05, 11:32 PM
toypup

"jojo" wrote in message
m...
Hi all, I have watched 2 episodes of the Supernanny and have to tell you I
have
learned a lot.
No, I do not have a screaming out of control biting kicking backtalking
temper throwing kid.
(well, yeah, occasionally)
;-)

I just watched my first episode last night. I admit, I didn't really want
to watch it because I figured it was a know-it-all coming in to fix things
and a really messed up family. The know-it-all would get things done,
because it's easy for a stranger to get kids to do things Mom and Dad can't.
However, I was impressed that the family was a normal family with normal
issues and I really liked it because the nanny made a bunch of
recommendations that we are already doing. :0) Hey, I didn't know I was
that good a parent. :0)) Now that I know it's not going to make me feel bad
about my parenting abilities, I'll watch it for tips.