Names in preschool

Old September 17th 03, 01:40 PM
llama mama

Default Names in preschool

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in
:

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
| Chianna
|
| Wendy, who clearly doesn't give her kids weird enough names

Chianna was on our list, but I was going to spell it Kiana or Kianna.
Thankfully I "found" Alegra and knew that was what my daughter was
supposed to be named :-)

i think Allegra is a very pretty name (and her middle name is an
excellent choice ). if Boo had been a girl he would have been Branwen
Feijke. originally we were going to use Feijke as the first name, but we
figured it would be too difficult for people to deal with. i also wanted
to use Augusta, but my friend Augusta said she's had to spend her whole
life telling people how to spell it, so....
lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old September 17th 03, 01:50 PM
Naomi Pardue

I never thought about it before but they are all slightly unusual (sometimes
it is the spelling)
This is a small town in the Midwest.

The preschool where I work would have a lot of 'odd' names by typical
middle-America standards -- but when you realize that a lot of the kids are
Israeli (and a few are Korean!) the mix doesn't seem so odd.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 17th 03, 01:51 PM
Wendy Marsden

dragonlady wrote:
Why is this tragic? Lots of women don't change their last names when
they get married, it means nothing. The three with two mommies have an
in tact family with two parents who love them. Out of 26 kids, only one
with a single parent is actually pretty good!

I didn't find it tragic at all, just a snapshot without
judgment. Actually, judging by the parent's name & addresses, only one of
the children seems to have parents who aren't together - excepting the one
with only a Mommy.

As for the single parent, I don't know enough to know if it's sad or
not. It could be death - that's tragic. It could be he walked out -
that's sad (no father is mentioned at all) or it could be she chose and
cherishes this kid and found a way to do it without a father. The Murphy
Brown scenario. I don't think that's tragic at all.

But anyway, I only posted it because I was amused by the way the world
changes. I don't think "they should have" is a necessary place to bring
this thread.

Wendy
Old September 17th 03, 01:54 PM
llama mama

Wendy Marsden wrote in news:3f678e18
@nap.mtholyoke.edu:

Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

snip
Boo's preschool class:
Brennan
Kamren
Ryan (male)
Jeremy
Daphne
Yelena
Lucas
Nathalie
Ria
Joey
Matthew
Rosemary
Ashley (female)
Logan
Katharina
Kelly (female)
Dietrich
Aslan
Emma
Aidan

there's a Beau in the upper elementary class. that's a very unusual name
for New England.
lee
Old September 17th 03, 01:54 PM
Wendy Marsden

Clisby wrote:

In my son's preschool class:

Joseph (mine)
Joseph (not mine)
Jaron
Blake
Sam

I did my absolute BEST not to name my son the same as everyone else. I
read all the birth announcements. The year my son was born the names all
had "y" as the second letter. Every other boy was named Tyler. (It was
so common that it was a joke - my husband would ask how many Tylers there
were today in the birth announcement. Everyone we met with a son had
named him Tyler. We figured some midwife kept exclaiming how much she
loved that name, or maybe was NAMED Tyler.) The ones that weren't named
Tyler were named Kyle. Girls were Wylie or Riley.

Soooo... his preschool has no Tylers. But two Samuels. It's Murphy's
Luck of Names. (I haven't met another Joseph in years around here!)

Wendy
Old September 17th 03, 01:57 PM
llama mama

Wendy Marsden wrote in news:3f678e18
@nap.mtholyoke.edu:

one other thing...
Boo wants a brother so we can name him Cyril. maybe the next dog...
he got the name from a Thomas video, i think.
lee
Old September 17th 03, 02:02 PM
Clisby

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Clisby wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I never think of Joseph as a trendy name - I'd better go look it
up on the SSA list and see where it falls for his year. I was a little
surprised to find another Joseph in his class (and they're both called
Joseph, not Joe or Joey.)

Clisby

Old September 17th 03, 02:07 PM
Wendy Marsden

Denise wrote:

Skewing this data would be something like my family though. Two of my kids
are old enough to be in the same preschool class (only one goes though). My
last name is different than my husband's, but we're very much a "traditional
family." I also have kids with weird names Weird enough to be in the
top 100 anyway.

Denise, don't worry, it's not data. It's anecdote. :-)

(All it speaks to is naming trends, if you ask me.)

Wendy
Old September 17th 03, 02:11 PM
Sophie

In my son's class there's the usual Brianna, Jacob, Matthew, etc.. The only
different name is Keegan, which isn't so unusual anymore. My Patrick is the
only one in the class.

My daughter's class has 2 Camerons, mostly obvious gender names like
Tiffany, Alex, Justin, Denise, April (whose birthday is in September - lol),
Anthony, Joseph, Ashley. The trendy names IMO are Skylar, Cody, Makayla
(soooo tired of this one). My Charlotte is the only one in her class.

I'll assume Lewis will also be the only one in his class -ever.

We're really out of ideas for #4. It's easier to know what names I *don't*
want.

As for different last names - means nothing. I have my maiden name, my
husband has his last name, and the kids have a 3rd last name - for reasons.
Doesn't make us any less of a family than one who all have the same last
name.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4