Baptism...

Old August 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Christine

Default Baptism...

Chloe is getting Baptized on Aug 22nd,,,,

are we supposed to have a dinner or get together after?
Or is that just totally up to us?

Also, should we be thinking about God parents?...I'm not Catholic, is
this a Catholic tradition?

do god parents Legally take the baby and raise the child if both parents
die. ie. plane, car wreck.

TIA..

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 5th 04, 08:33 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Christine wrote:

Chloe is getting Baptized on Aug 22nd,,,,

are we supposed to have a dinner or get together after?
Or is that just totally up to us?

Up to you. I think it is generally traditional
in most cases to have a brunch or something afterwards,
but it's not necessary if you don't want to do it.

Also, should we be thinking about God parents?...I'm not Catholic, is
this a Catholic tradition?

It is a Catholic tradition, but other denominations
have godparents or sponsors too. They all have a different
take on the roles and responsibilities and sometimes even
the rules for who's eligible, so check with your minister/
pastor/priest/leader/etc.

do god parents Legally take the baby and raise the child if both parents
die. ie. plane, car wreck.

Old wives' tale. They only do that if you specify
it in your will.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Nikki

Christine wrote:

are we supposed to have a dinner or get together after?
Or is that just totally up to us?

Totally your choice. Most people that I know do.

Also, should we be thinking about God parents?...I'm not Catholic, is
this a Catholic tradition?

I'm Catholic and we do it. Dh is Lutheran and he has a Godmother. Each of
our kids (baptized Catholic) has a Godmother and a Godfather. Only one of
them has to be a practicing Catholic. I'm sure there are different rules
for different religions.

do god parents Legally take the baby and raise the child if both
parents die. ie. plane, car wreck.

Nope that is a legal thing and you have to have a legal will stating who you
want/has agreed to raise them if necessary.
--
Nikki

Old August 5th 04, 08:53 PM
Jane Thorpe

are we supposed to have a dinner or get together after?
Or is that just totally up to us?

Up to you and depnds how many people you are inviting - if any but normally
yes I think something is expected - even just a tea or small gathering with
a cake. Many people keep the top teir of their wedding cake for the
christening cake which would be cut at the gathering after the ceremony but
these days it's a personal choice!

Also, should we be thinking about God parents?...I'm not Catholic, is
this a Catholic tradition?

You will need to pick Godparents even if not Catholic. Normally it is two
Godfathers and a Godmother for a boy and two Godmothers and a Godfather for
a girl but often people just pick one set of Godparents these days.

do god parents Legally take the baby and raise the child if both parents
die. ie. plane, car wreck.

No - God parents agree in the Church to help raise the child as a Christian
and to follow God. That is basically it!!! They have nothing to do with
being responsible for the baby in the event of an accident. If you want the
same people to have your child in the event of your death then you need to
see a lawyer about this and have it put specifically in your will. You
should also make financial plans for this situation so that the people who
care for your child are not burdened financially form the situation.

HTH

Bws
Jane

Old August 5th 04, 09:37 PM
Christine

what if you do not have a will?
and both parents would die....what happens?

would'nt my mother just automatically get her?

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 5th 04, 09:50 PM
Denise Anderson

"Christine" wrote in message
what if you do not have a will?
and both parents would die....what happens?

would'nt my mother just automatically get her?

No. Its more complicated than that and she'd be guaranteed some time in
foster care. There's no reason to not have a will when you have kids. I
always thought since my husband and I don't *own* anything, we didn't need
one, but my mom made me have one done up after I had my first child.

Denise

Old August 5th 04, 09:58 PM
Mary W.

Christine wrote:
what if you do not have a will?
and both parents would die....what happens?

would'nt my mother just automatically get her?

In Georgia, the state decides. A fact that
had worried us enough that when we learned it
we were in a lawyer's office within the week
doing our will.

Mary

Old August 5th 04, 10:11 PM
Tori M.

"Christine" wrote in message
Chloe is getting Baptized on Aug 22nd,,,,

are we supposed to have a dinner or get together after?
Or is that just totally up to us?

Also, should we be thinking about God parents?...I'm not Catholic, is
this a Catholic tradition?

do god parents Legally take the baby and raise the child if both parents
die. ie. plane, car wreck.

TIA..

Chrissy & Chloe....

We baptise in our church.. we are not Catholic. God Parents are usualy
chosen from friends, we chose a couple but I know of a Family that the older
kids are the God Parents of the youngest (family of 8 kids) You can have
your God Parents also be the people you chose to take them if something
should happen but it is not legal unless you put it in a will.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old August 5th 04, 10:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Christine wrote:

what if you do not have a will?
and both parents would die....what happens?

A lot of unhappy stuff that will be awful for
your children, most likely. Almost certainly your
child would be put in foster care while the state
sorted things out, which can't be a wonderful thing
while having to deal with the loss of your parents.

would'nt my mother just automatically get her?

In most cases, the state would get to decide,
and there's no guarantee they'd decide what you would

Get a will. Now. A simple will won't run
you a fortune, and if funds are really tight there
are usually places where you can get assistance to
have one done. Some employers provide assistance as
well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 5th 04, 10:36 PM
Jane Thorpe

Not necessarily. It depends where you live - in the UK they do all they can
to NOT put children into foster care and if there is a suitable person to
care for the child in the interim then the child goes with them - normally a
Grandparent or Aunt. Sometimes it isn't a relative though - perhaps a best
friend etc. Then anyone who wants to care for the child applies and social
services does an investigation and a report (takes months) into who is best
fit to care for the child. This includes police checks and psychological
tests if necessary and talking with the children ( - if they are able) about
where they want to live.

If social services are not sure where is suitable for the child in the
interim then often the child will be placed in foster care - but that is a
last resort (cost in finances to the authorities as well as cost emotionally
to the child mean they prefer to keep them out of foster care).

Often if the child is happy and settled in the interim home, and that person
wishe to have permanent care of the child, then the child stays there so
they are not moved too much. But basically it depends on the welfare of the
child.

Of course this is why it so important to write a will about the care of your
child after your death - to avoid all of this stress on your family! But
wills can always be fought by others who want your child too so a will may
not necessarily stop all of the above from happening.

Most lawyers have a will clinic or a free 30 minute consultation so why not
call one and make an appointment just to go and talk?

Bws
Jane

two headed baby St. Matthew General 100 February 15th 04 12:15 AM
Godparents Janey General 14 August 11th 03 05:03 PM