Birth Weights

Old September 14th 04, 09:22 PM
Kazh

"Karen" wrote in message =
k.net...
Hey, nothing at all wrong with an 11 pound baby! My second birth (11=20
pound baby) was a lot faster and easier than my first (8lb 15oz). All=20
natural too, at a birth home. (I am a little concerned however, that=20
shold I have a third child that it would be 13 pounds!)

-Karen, mom to Henry 4 and William 4 1/2 months-

----------------
This my worry......my labour has shortened but I *ripped* during births. =

DS (Adopted) - 8lb baby was a 24 hour labour and I had an epistotomy, =
and needed 10 stiches 5 in and 5 out.
DS =3D 9lb baby was long and I ripped when his head came out, requiring =
4 stitches
DD =3D 10lb baby was shorter but fatter, I ripped when her shoulders =
came out.requiring 3 stitches.

Doctor told my lasy DH I ''looked like a patchwork quilt'' down there =
when he was sewing me up............nice !!

Old September 14th 04, 09:24 PM
Kazh

"Sophie" wrote in message =
Does anybody know if birth weights increase the more pregnancies you =

have.

Not for me. The sizes of mine corresponded with when they were born. =
The
one who cooked the longest weighed the most.

#1 - 38 weeks - 6 lbs 9
#2 - 40 weeks - 7 lbs 14
#3 - 39 weeks - 7 lbs 1
#4 - 39 weeks - 6 lbs 12

-------------------
Sounds about right -=20

#1 - 40 weeks bang on EDD to the day- 8lb 12oz
#2 - 8 days earlier than EDD - 9lb 13oz
#3 - 5 days later than EDD - 10lb 9oz

That would means #2 would have been bigger had he *cooked* longer =
.................I pray for a 38 wk for #4 !!!

Old September 14th 04, 09:25 PM
Kazh

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message =

Statistically they tend to go up, but that
trend doesn't hold up very well on an individual basis,
so there's no telling. My second was more than two
pounds heavier than my first, but my third was more
than a pound less than my second.

Best wishes,
Ericka
---------------
With #3 doctor said ''it was a petite little girl'' I complained after =
she was born at 10lb 9oz !!! bg

Old September 14th 04, 09:28 PM
firedancer623

#1 - 7lb 9oz
#2 - 8lb 6oz
#3 8lb 5oz

They were all born within days of their due dates. My weight gain was the
most with my first, but I was really thin and needed the extra weight. I
gained 30 lbs with her, and 28 lbs with both boys.

Also, the first birth was my most diffucult but hardly so - 10 hr labor, 15
minutes pushing. She was chubbiest and had the largest head The boys were
1.5 inches and 3 inches longer respectively.

And I just ate how I eat normally. I didn't diet but I didn't pig out
either. Except on ice cream with #2

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (5) and Xander (11 mos)

Old September 14th 04, 09:39 PM
Kazh

#1 - 7lb 9oz
#2 - 8lb 6oz
#3 8lb 5oz

They were all born within days of their due dates. My weight gain was =
the=20
most with my first, but I was really thin and needed the extra weight. I =

gained 30 lbs with her, and 28 lbs with both boys.

Also, the first birth was my most diffucult but hardly so - 10 hr labor, =
15=20
minutes pushing. She was chubbiest and had the largest head The boys =
were=20
1.5 inches and 3 inches longer respectively.

And I just ate how I eat normally. I didn't diet but I didn't pig out=20
either. Except on ice cream with #2

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (5) and Xander (11 mos)=20
-------------------------
Thanks Kari,

Old September 14th 04, 10:00 PM
Denise Anderson

"Kazh" wrote in message
Does anybody know if birth weights increase the more pregnancies you have.

I'm a tad worried my baby will be big.

My past babies weighed -

8.lb 12 oz
9.lb 13 oz
10.lb 9 oz

I don't want an 11lb baby !!! ouch

They're supposed to, but mine haven't. Mine are
7lb 3oz
6lb 12oz
5lb 14oz
and 5lb 12oz

Denise

--
Karen
DS 10th Aug 1986

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/kazh/familypictures.htm

Old September 14th 04, 10:33 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Kazh wrote:

This my worry......my labour has shortened but I *ripped* during births.

What position were you in while delivering?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 15th 04, 01:16 AM
Circe

Kazh wrote:
Does anybody know if birth weights increase the more pregnancies
you have.

As others have said, statistically, birth weights go up over subsequent
pregnancies, but for any individual, the rule may or may not hold. And keep
in mind that length of gestation is a factor--a baby born at 41 weeks is
probably going to be bigger than one born at 39 weeks, all other things
being equal (which, of course, they rarely are).

All of my babies were quite average in weight (though they all had rather
large heads, relative to the rest of them), and my first was actually the
largest of the three:

#1 8lb. even at 41w4d
#2 7lb. 5oz. at 39w2d
#3 7lb. 15oz. at 40w2d

If you look at the gestational age at birth, however, you could argue that
they were getting bigger. If I'd always given birth at 40 weeks and is they
were all gaining the regulation.5 lbs. per week at term, their birth weights
would have been:

#1 7lb., 4 oz.
#2 7lb. 10 oz.
#3 7lb. 13 oz.

Of course, I'm not sure I believe that all babies gain the regulation .5 lb.
per week, anyway, but it's interesting to see how the gestational age at
birth might change the picture!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Four More Wars!"

Old September 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Circe

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Kazh wrote:
This my worry......my labour has shortened but I *ripped* during
births.

What position were you in while delivering?

And did you have someone providing good perineal support and helping you
slow down during the pushing stage so your perineum could stretch?

Old September 15th 04, 01:22 AM
Unadulterated Me

Kazh wrote:

Does anybody know if birth weights increase the more pregnancies you have.

I'm a tad worried my baby will be big.

My past babies weighed -

8.lb 12 oz
9.lb 13 oz
10.lb 9 oz

I don't want an 11lb baby !!! ouch

Mine have gone up and down all over the spectrum
#1 10lb
#2 10lb 7oz
#3 9lb 11oz
#4 9lb 50z
#5 9lb 7oz
#6 9lb 20z
#7 10lb 4oz
#8 and 9 (twins) 7lb 2oz and 8lb 8oz
#10 11lb
#11 8lb 11oz

My next could be 8lb or 10lb I have no idea, I'm hoping it's closer to
10lb as the tiddly 8lb one got herself stuck and I'm sure it was because
she wasn't big enough.

Andrea