Announcing. . .

Old September 25th 04, 10:06 PM
Mary W.

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Mary S. wrote:

Baby Elizabeth was born at five o'clock on Thursday morning, weighing
just over 6.5 pounds and just over 19 inches (almost exactly her
sister's stats),

My goodness, what a tiny little thing.

Oops, missed this, forget my question Mary. I swear, I did actually
read your birth story.....

Mary W.

Old September 25th 04, 10:48 PM
Sophie

Awww congrats! And what a pretty name

Old September 25th 04, 10:50 PM
karlisa

Congratulations! what a great birth experience you had!

lisa
micksmom
26 months old
baby boy 2: edd 2-7-05

"Mary S." wrote in message
. . . our beautful, sweet, perfect little baby!!!!

Our newest wee baby-sprout was born on Thursday, after about 4 hours of
back labor. We are totally, blissfully in love.

What a completely fantastic birth experience! I can't believe I ended
up with another posterior baby. LOL. If you've got to do back labor,
though, short and sweet is the way to go.

I was having very irregular contractions all evening (one an hour,
etc.), and they slowly started to get closer together. We put Sproutkin
to bed, and I tried to sleep between them, and took two or three hot
showers. I started timing them at 10 minutes apart, and when they were
5 minutes apart (and at that point very painful, with that familiar fire
in the back that didn't go away between contractions -- ugh!), we left.
We dropped sleeping Sproutkin off at my mom's house, and were off to
the birth center.

When we arrived, I was checked at 4 cm. "Disappointed" doesn't even
begin to describe the despair I felt to hear that. The whole hellish
labor I had experienced with Sproutkin seemed to be repeating itself,
and I knew that, at least in her case, I would still have an endlessly
long night of impossible pain ahead of me. I couldn't have been more
wrong! A (quite intense) 40 minutes later, I was almost completely
dilated. I couldn't believe it. The midwife reached in to hold back
the last lip of cervix, and with that huge, gut-churning THA-LUMP, I
felt the baby turn around. She smiled and said, "You're complete."

I said I wanted to get into the birth pool -- and ahhhhhh, the hot water
felt wonderful. My body did that 10 minute "rest" period before the
pushing contractions started. It was a sudden moment of peace and
stillness -- the candles flickering, me completely relaxing in the
water, with my head on DH's shoulders. The midwife took some beautiful
pictures of that moment. Then UNGH! I'd forgotten what hard work
pushing is. I spent 10 minutes pushing in the birth pool, decided I
wanted to get out (and the midwife said I had a better chance of not
tearing if I were side-lying where she could help support things with
her hands), so we went over to the bed. I spent another 10 minutes
pushing on the bed. DH and I reached down and "caught" her, and brought
her up to my chest. And --

It's a GIRL! A perfect, tiny, shell-pink little daughter. I was
laughing and crying both; I could not believe it was over.

Everything after that was so gentle -- no suctioning, no poking at the
baby at all. The midwife put a warm blanket over us, and retreated into
the corner, taking some pictures. We held her and stared at her, and I
got her latched on right away. After about 20 minutes, the cord stopped
pulsing. DH cut it, and a few minutes later I felt my last contraction,
and delivered the placenta. We scooted up to the head of the bed,
cuddled up together with the baby in our arms, and the midwife left the
room. We stared at her, she stared at us. We named her. I was still
in shock that it was over, and was feeling the rush of exhileration and
birth high coursing through my system.

Baby Elizabeth was born at five o'clock on Thursday morning, weighing
just over 6.5 pounds and just over 19 inches (almost exactly her
sister's stats), with Apgars of 9 and 9, and just as beautiful as could

be.

After 20 minutes, the midwife came back and did the newborn exam --
weighed and measured her, put a diaper on, gave us the eye goop waiver
to sign, and prepared the Vitamin K shot. I asked if we could do it
while nursing, so we got her latched on and then did the shot. That was
the first time we heard her cry: an indignant wail, and then right back
to nursing. She must have spent 3 of her first 4 hours on earth nursing
-- she was born with two little sucking blisters on her wrists, so I'm
thinking she's going to be quite the comfort nurser.

DH was exhausted from being up all night, and baby Elizabeth was content
to nursenursenurse. The midwife turned out all the lights and left us
to get a couple hours of sleep before discharging us (she said we could
leave after 4 hours, rather than the standard 6, if we wanted -- which
we did). I felt EXCITED and happy and energetic and like I could scale
a mountain! LOL. DH slept, the baby nursed and then fell asleep, and I
drank some juice and stared at her. It was dark except for the candles
in the room, and once again time slowed down and imprinted that moment
of total peace and stillness onto my brain.

I feel great! Wow, what a difference between the four stitches I had
with Sproutkin and an intact perineum. I remember at this point last
time I was easing myself out of bed, using a peri-bottle to pee, and
generally moving around slowly and feeling pretty ouchy. I can't
believe how normal I feel already, energy and everything else.
Sproutkin is doing well with the transition (she really wants to be
touching and holding and helping, *all* the time). She fell asleep last
night across my lap, as I patted her back and nursed the baby in my
other arm, and she said sleepily, reaching out to touch the baby's hand,
"Dis... is... my... sister." DH is spending a lot of time with her,
going to the playground or the ice cream store or the grocery store or
the mall, and all in all, she's adjusting well. I know, I know --
newborn is the easy part, it's when the baby starts getting into her

stuff!

Such a wonderful birth. Thank you, everyone, for your support and
encouragement over the last nine months! Maybe next time I'll get that
anterior baby, eh?

Mary S.
mommy to two beautiful girls

Old September 25th 04, 10:58 PM
Unadulterated Me

Mary S. wrote:

Such a wonderful birth. Thank you, everyone, for your support and
encouragement over the last nine months! Maybe next time I'll get that
anterior baby, eh?

Mary S.
mommy to two beautiful girls

Congratulations Mary! Welcome earthside baby Elizabeth :-) That's my
Lydias middle name too, it's very pretty :-)

Andrea
Old September 25th 04, 11:42 PM
A&G&K&H

"Mary S." wrote in message
[...]

Oh Mary ... *sob* ... that was so wonderful to read that I can't bear to
snip even a bit of it. I've got goosebumps all over and tears streaming
down my face.

Such a beautiful birth, such a beautiful name, such a beautiful mother, such
a beautiful family ... baby Elizabeth is so blessed.

Please share some pictures soon...

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old September 26th 04, 12:32 AM
The Watsons

"Mary S." wrote in message
Such a wonderful birth. Thank you, everyone, for your support and
encouragement over the last nine months! Maybe next time I'll get that
anterior baby, eh?

congrats....

Jess

Old September 26th 04, 02:08 AM
Nan

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:24:23 -0400, "Mary S."
scribbled:

. . . our beautful, sweet, perfect little baby!!!!

Congratulations :-)

Nan
Old September 26th 04, 02:32 AM
newfy.1

"Mary S." wrote in message
. . . our beautful, sweet, perfect little baby!!!!

Our newest wee baby-sprout was born on Thursday, after about 4 hours of
back labor. We are totally, blissfully in love.

Congrats Mary! Thanks for sharing your awesome birth story.

JennP.

Old September 26th 04, 02:43 AM
Bryna729

. . . our beautful, sweet, perfect little baby!!!!

Our newest wee baby-sprout was born on Thursday, after about 4 hours of
back labor. We are totally, blissfully in love.

Congratulations! What a beautiful birth story. Enjoy your new little one.

Be well,

Bryna
Mommy to Yosef, 3
& Temima, 1
Old September 26th 04, 03:12 AM
Mamma Mia

"Mary S." wrote in message

Such a wonderful birth. Thank you, everyone, for your support and
encouragement over the last nine months! Maybe next time I'll get that
anterior baby, eh?

Mary S.
mommy to two beautiful girls

congrats, welcome baby elizabeth

christine in oz

Announcing and thank you Gorgon Park Pregnancy 12 October 23rd 03 07:22 PM
Announcing....... Carol Ann Pregnancy 18 October 3rd 03 06:41 PM
Announcing... slowly Pregnancy 1 July 13th 03 06:08 PM
Announcing misc.kids.family-life just me General (moderated) 4 July 12th 03 07:20 PM
announcing misc.kids.family-life Ali's Daddie Pregnancy 1 July 12th 03 04:22 AM