name fights

Old June 17th 04, 11:37 PM
Puester

Default name fights

Denise Anderson wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

I have no advice because I'm about to have this baby and DH and I have yet
to agree on a name for a lot of the same reasons, but I can say I totally
sympathize. I wish I could tell you what to do or how to make it less of a
battle, but my husband's still fighting for Breeeeeauuuna, so I'm useless.
Good luck though!

Denise

If he won't budge, name her that and immediately
start with a nickname that you like--Bree, Bee,
Bebe (Beebee), Baby Bean, etc. Or tell him you ]
will do this and maybe he'll change his mind....

gloria p
who believes in more than one
way to skin a cat....
Old June 18th 04, 02:33 AM
Zannah

In article ,
"Denise Anderson" wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

I have no advice because I'm about to have this baby and DH and I have yet
to agree on a name for a lot of the same reasons, but I can say I totally
sympathize. I wish I could tell you what to do or how to make it less of a
battle, but my husband's still fighting for Breeeeeauuuna, so I'm useless.
Good luck though!

Denise

My husband resolutely *refused* to suggest any baby names. However, we
had both agreed that the other one had power of veto - that we wouldn't
call the baby something the other one hated. Would your husband agree to
that? (And then you could veto Breeeeeauuuna?)

My husband vetoed my first three suggestions, including the name my
heart was set on, but I figured she was his daughter too, so I wanted a
name we both liked.

Zannah.

(whose shortlist consists of 37 boys' names and 43 girls' names, but my
husband hasn't seen it yet.)
Old June 18th 04, 02:45 AM
Alpha

Sophie says:

Max is pretty common I'd say. Maxim reminds me of the mens' magazine.
Sorry again. Now Maximus is a good one.

I can think of two things wrong with Maximus: gluteus maximus, and
http://www.goodvibes.com/cgi-bin/sgs...W=maximus%2Cml.

:-)

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old June 18th 04, 03:39 AM
Melody

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

Well... I think that's the reason you give babies two names... a first and a
middle, you pick one, he picks the other... He'll be overseas when the baby
is born, right? Call him the name YOU like and that's the one that will have
stuck by the time he comes home... May be mean, but it'll work *giggle*

I decided not to even think about trying to choose names until we know the
sex of the baby... less to argue about, less to think about. My DH seems
like he could care less about girl names (or he likes all the ones I've
rattled off at least..) but I think but he's dead set on the boy name... I'm
keeping my mouth shut until we know what we're having, then we'll work
something out that we both like AND passes on his family name because I know
that's very important to him and I want him to have that.

Try to come up with one of his ancestors names that you like and can live
with, that'll pass on his heritage AND make you happy

Good luck!
Mel

Old June 18th 04, 03:44 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Sophie wrote:

What background is the last name? I like first and last names to match, I
like very ethnic names. I don't see what's wrong with liking heritage. Or
liking a "normal" name for where you live.

He and his last name are both Ukrainian. :-) (meanwhile he has a
German first name) He is really only half Ukrainian but he still calls
himself Ukrainian. Anyway, I don't have a problem with ethnic names,
but my chief complaint is a pronounciation one. I can't properly
pronounce the names of probably about three quarters of his family. I
can't even spell most of their names, and wouldn't even be able to
hazard a guess. I can't even pronounce my own last name properly (my
MIL can't either, and she's had it for decades). The problem is that
although Ukrainian uses a phonetic alphabet, that all gets trashed in
the transliteration - and besides, I can never remember which syllables
to stress (they are all the exact opposite of what I would naturally
assume). Ukrainian is a hard language, even just when looking at names.

You make a lsit of names you like and he does the same. You swap lists,

That's the approach that we're currently trying, actually. I hope it
ends up giving us more choices of names. Right now we only have the two.

Well I'm gonna look dumb but I'd think Clio was Cleo spelled wrong, and it
reminds me of 2 things - Clifford the Big Red Dog has a friend named Cleo,
and the Sony Clie PDA - sorry.

Nope, it's Clio with an i. There is also Cleo but that's a different
name. Anyway, I am not bothered by associations with products. I find
it too much to worry about, since so many names get used for so many
different products. Marketing has never made sense to me.

Max is pretty common I'd say. Maxim reminds me of the mens' magazine.
Sorry again. Now Maximus is a good one.

No need to apologize, because that type of stuff doesn't bother me. ;-)
I've never even heard of that magazine. Maybe it's not available in
Canada.

Old June 18th 04, 03:49 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Shelly wrote:

I like Maxim, FWIW. My good friends named their son Maxim (mom is American,
dad is Russian). It does get mispronounced (with a short i sound, instead of
long), but they go with Max usually, so it isn't a big deal.

Yeah, that's one problem I've been noticing right off the bat. Every
time we tell someone that we're thinking of Maxim, they immediately
repeat the name, but pronounce it with the stress on the first syllable,
as if to correct us. I *know* that if we go with that name, people will
always put the stress on the first syllable (heh, especially if we tell
them that we just say Max for short, which we will do since Ukrainians
never use full names).

Old June 18th 04, 03:51 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

D&K Condron wrote:

Vicky -

My hubby was like this, too, so I reminded him that his heritage was
represented very well in the family's LAST name - which I had happily taken
as mine, and am happy with my son having. I thought have a very ethnic
first name as well would be overwhelming for our child, and was finally able
to convince him of this and he relented on the first name. I don't know if
that will work for you, but it might.

Hmmmmmmmm, good angle. ;-) I'll have to give it a try if he still
keeps suggesting things like Uri. (My apologies to anyone out there
named Uri. It's nothing personal. I just can't possibly spell the
other names that he's suggested, so Uri is always my example.)

Old June 18th 04, 03:58 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Melody wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

Well... I think that's the reason you give babies two names... a first and a
middle, you pick one, he picks the other... He'll be overseas when the baby
is born, right? Call him the name YOU like and that's the one that will have
stuck by the time he comes home... May be mean, but it'll work *giggle*

Nope, not me! Mine's a professor! He has no plans to travel. He's a
hermit. ;-) He only goes to the odd conference if it's not too far
away, and that's it.

Try to come up with one of his ancestors names that you like and can live
with, that'll pass on his heritage AND make you happy

We tried that approach. The problem is that the natural choice would be
to use his father's name, since his father passed away a few years back.
Unfortunately, this would mean naming our kid Petro, which is not a
name I'm particularly fond of. And no, it's *not* pronounced like
"petro" as in "petroleum." ;-) See what I mean about the
pronounciation thing? OMG the pronounciation thing is a nightmare.

Old June 18th 04, 04:10 AM
Melody

Sophie wrote:
Nope, it's Clio with an i. There is also Cleo but that's a different
name. Anyway, I am not bothered by associations with products. I find
it too much to worry about, since so many names get used for so many
different products. Marketing has never made sense to me.

Things like that don't bother me either. I guess I don't watch TV enough to
hear all these fancy new product names... Clio didn;t strike me as anything
other than a pretty name for a girl. It's not like most products have any
longevity these days anyway... by the time they're old enough to be teased
most of these products will be ancient history.

Old June 18th 04, 04:11 AM
Tori M.

Here is my huddys guess at how to pronounce your last name is bill annie
OOK.. just wondering if he is right to your knowlage Arnt their some good
ukranian male names like Sasha or is that german?

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Circumcision Fights Saffyre3 Pregnancy 5 January 25th 04 06:24 AM
arrggh hate bullies at school!! David&Wendy General 27 September 25th 03 09:49 PM