name fights

Old June 18th 04, 04:15 AM
Tori M.

Default name fights

Would Petro be the same as Pedro? That is what came to my mind.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Melody wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

Well... I think that's the reason you give babies two names... a first

and a
middle, you pick one, he picks the other... He'll be overseas when the

baby
is born, right? Call him the name YOU like and that's the one that will

have
stuck by the time he comes home... May be mean, but it'll work

*giggle*

Nope, not me! Mine's a professor! He has no plans to travel. He's a
hermit. ;-) He only goes to the odd conference if it's not too far
away, and that's it.

Try to come up with one of his ancestors names that you like and can

live
with, that'll pass on his heritage AND make you happy

We tried that approach. The problem is that the natural choice would be
to use his father's name, since his father passed away a few years back.
Unfortunately, this would mean naming our kid , which is not a
name I'm particularly fond of. And no, it's *not* pronounced like
"petro" as in "petroleum." ;-) See what I mean about the
pronounciation thing? OMG the pronounciation thing is a nightmare.

Old June 18th 04, 04:21 AM
Melody

Melody wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

We tried that approach. The problem is that the natural choice would be
to use his father's name, since his father passed away a few years back.
Unfortunately, this would mean naming our kid Petro, which is not a
name I'm particularly fond of. And no, it's *not* pronounced like
"petro" as in "petroleum." ;-) See what I mean about the
pronounciation thing? OMG the pronounciation thing is a nightmare.

What's his middle name?

Old June 18th 04, 04:28 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

Here is my huddys guess at how to pronounce your last name is bill annie
OOK.. just wondering if he is right to your knowlage Arnt their some good

YUP! Good one! :-) Stress definitely on the final syllable.

ukranian male names like Sasha or is that german?

Sounds German to me. I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that I like it.
See, part of the problem is that I'm pretty darn picky. ;-)

Old June 18th 04, 04:35 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

Would Petro be the same as Pedro? That is what came to my mind.

Tori

No, unless I'm mistaken on how to pronounce Pedro. Petro definitely has
the stress on the second syllable (as always seems to be the case - they
like to stress the ends of names), but "o" in Ukrainian is pronounced
like the "o" in "off." Also, there's the "r" issue, which I just can't
resolve. I mean, no matter how hard I try, I can't do a Ukrainian r. I
always end up spitting out a French or a German r. I love listening to
my husband pronounce things so perfectly, because the "r"'s are really
kind of neat, what with the way the seem to click rather than roll.
(and you know, the sad part is that I've even asked people to try to
describe to me exactly what their tongues are doing when they pronounce
a Ukrainian r, and despite their efforts, I still can't do it). Anyway,
I think "Pedro" is a bit more like "Paydroe" but maybe I'm just being
too French - I don't know.

Old June 18th 04, 04:36 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Melody wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
om...

We tried that approach. The problem is that the natural choice would be
to use his father's name, since his father passed away a few years back.
Unfortunately, this would mean naming our kid Petro, which is not a
name I'm particularly fond of. And no, it's *not* pronounced like
"petro" as in "petroleum." ;-) See what I mean about the
pronounciation thing? OMG the pronounciation thing is a nightmare.

What's his middle name?

No middle names. I don't think anyone in his family has one, actually.
He's also dead set against them.

Old June 18th 04, 04:37 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Melody wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

We tried that approach. The problem is that the natural choice would be
to use his father's name, since his father passed away a few years back.
Unfortunately, this would mean naming our kid Petro, which is not a
name I'm particularly fond of. And no, it's *not* pronounced like
"petro" as in "petroleum." ;-) See what I mean about the
pronounciation thing? OMG the pronounciation thing is a nightmare.

What's his middle name?

No middle names. I don't think anyone in his family has one, actually.
He's also dead set against them.

Sorry, I meant that DH's father had no middle name. No one in DH's
family has one, that I know of, and DH is dead set against them.

Old June 18th 04, 04:38 AM
Leslie

Vicky asked:

So, how do people deal with the seemingly totally unavoidable fights
that develop between two parents when it comes to naming their child?

I give in. :-) My husband once asked me what decisions he got to make about
our family and I thought for awhile and said that he decides when and where we
vacation, and what to name the kids!

We don't have a big problem because we have similar, traditional taste in
names, and usually I have veto power but this time I don't because I promised
him that if he would agree to #5 he could pick the name. :-)

always had a sneaking suspicion that DH and I would have this problem,
and of course we've been having it ever since we first started talking
about names. ;-)

Our problem is that he cares about heritage, and I don't. I like
standard names (well, standard as in "normal" for the area in which you
live, and the language which you speak in public) DH, OTOH, cares only
about making sure that names are in line with his heritage (or his
interests, which are classical history). Yes, *his* heritage. His
heritage first, then mine. Seriously! So, that means that he prefers
everything Ukrainian, then German (his mother is German), and *then*
French as a last choice, because I have a French background. This just
ticks me off, and I don't know how to deal with it.

My husband is kind of like this too. He thinks it would be nice for all our
kids to have German names, because that is what the last name is. In fact,
they are more Scotch and Irish than they are German. :-) But personally I
don't like ethnic first names UNLESS they match the last name. I love certain
Irish names, and I would have liked to call William Liam, but I thought it
sounded stupid combined with a German last name.

I just want
something that's standard Canadian/US English, because this is where we
*live*. (but OK, I admit that I'm actually not very creative when it
comes to names)

So, how to deal with this? It's been an ongoing battle for months (well
years, actually, since we talked about names long before we decided to
actually have a baby). Well, it hasn't really ramped up, yet, because
I've been keeping mostly quiet about it, but we're going to have to deal
with it soon, now.

I'd let him come up with a list, and then you pick the final name from the
list, and also come up with the nickname.

I actually mentioned this to the midwife, just because I felt like
whining that day. ;-) She said that usually guys give in after they
see their wives/girlfriends go through labour, but DH tends to be
different in that the more he feels pushed in some way, the more
stubborn he gets. I'm not sure that watching me go through labour will
have much of an affect on him when it comes to names. It will be sort
of like "Wow, I can't believe you did that, and I'm glad it was you and
not me, but I still say we should call him Uri." (note: we have
actually agreed on a girl's name - it's just picking a boy's name that
is giving us trouble. We've agreed on Clio for a girl, after the muse
of history, but *only* if it's after the muse of history. Just "Clio"
is unacceptable otherwise.)

He's willing to go with Latin names over English names, actually (the
history thing), so one name that we're *sort of* agreeing to for a boy
is Maxim, but I'm not too sure if I'm all that hot on that one. At
least I could call our possible future son Max for short, though. But
believe it or not, I already know a kid named Max! Although I want
something fairly standard for where we live, I at least want to try to
pick something that no one else I know already has! ;-)

I like Maxim, and Max as well.

Oh WHY does this have to be hard?!

It's hard because it is so important, such a big responsibility, to name a new
human being who is going to be identified by the name you choose for the rest
of his life.

Not to put the pressure on, or anything. ;-)

Leslie
Old June 18th 04, 05:02 AM
Shelly

Tori M. wrote:

Here is my huddys guess at how to pronounce your last name is bill annie
OOK.. just wondering if he is right to your knowlage Arnt their some

good

YUP! Good one! :-) Stress definitely on the final syllable.

ukranian male names like Sasha or is that german?

Sounds German to me. I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that I like it.
See, part of the problem is that I'm pretty darn picky. ;-)

Not sure about Ukrainian, but Sasha is the usual nickname for Alexander in
Russian. I think that is a great one, too.

Old June 18th 04, 05:06 AM
Melody

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

No middle names. I don't think anyone in his family has one, actually.
He's also dead set against them.

Think he'd go for an Americanized version of a Ukrainan name?

Old June 18th 04, 05:11 AM
Tori M.

Tori M. wrote:

Here is my huddys guess at how to pronounce your last name is bill

annie
OOK.. just wondering if he is right to your knowlage Arnt their

some
good

YUP! Good one! :-) Stress definitely on the final syllable.

ukranian male names like Sasha or is that german?

Sounds German to me. I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that I like it.
See, part of the problem is that I'm pretty darn picky. ;-)

Not sure about Ukrainian, but Sasha is the usual nickname for Alexander in
Russian. I think that is a great one, too.

I would pick that as a name if is wasnt for the fact that I have a girl
cousin named Sasha pronounces Sash-ah.

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Circumcision Fights Saffyre3 Pregnancy 5 January 25th 04 06:24 AM
arrggh hate bullies at school!! David&Wendy General 27 September 25th 03 09:49 PM