2nd Child

Old July 13th 04, 04:32 PM
Coccinella

Default 2nd Child

My aunt had her first child at 40 and her second at 42. Both healthy
wonderful babies. If you want another child just go for it. Think though
that Morgan will be happy with or without a sibling.
We want at least another baby, too. My OB told me to wait a year from
Alexandra's birth to eliminate the risk of ruptures in the uterus (she said
that 1 year is standard healing time for the section).
Who knows, we could be pg again at the same time.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old July 14th 04, 04:02 AM
Zannah

In article OPIIc.77836$XM6.50340@attbi_s53,
"Carol Ann" wrote:

What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

~Carol Ann
http://tinyurl.com/33uk7 ---Recent Pictures of Morgan born 3.24.04

If you want another one, go for it.

If you had no problems conceiving or carrying Morgan, then chances are
pretty good that #2 will be pretty straightforward. (I know fertility
rates do go down, the older you get, but a previous pregnancy is as good
a sign you're going to get as any.)

A friend of mine had her first (a complete surprise at 40) and her
second at 42 with no troubles whatsoever.

Zannah.
Old July 14th 04, 04:28 AM
Carol Ann

If you want another one, go for it.

If you had no problems conceiving or carrying Morgan, then chances are
pretty good that #2 will be pretty straightforward. (I know fertility
rates do go down, the older you get, but a previous pregnancy is as good
a sign you're going to get as any.)

A friend of mine had her first (a complete surprise at 40) and her
second at 42 with no troubles whatsoever.

Zannah.

I can't believe that an earlier post scared me right into reality and away
from the possibility of having another child.

I am so afraid that my child will have birth defects. I do not want to put
myself in the situation of having to worry like I did with my last
pregnancy.

I just don't think I could handle it.

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the FREE Monthly Weightloss Challenge

http://tinyurl.com/33uk7 ---Recent Pictures of Morgan born 3.24.04

Old July 14th 04, 04:37 AM
Tori M.

Carol Ann
All parents worry about their children being born with birth defects. I am
only 26 and I worry about that all the time. I even had to go to genetic
counceling. The thing that keeps us going is that in the end we get a child
that will love us almost as much as we love them At least until they turn
13 and then it is iffy for a few years.

My daughter was born with an extra thumb or a thumblette I say she is
perfect though.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 14th 04, 04:43 AM
Carol Ann

Yes, I agree, we do worry about our children. The problem is that I won't
be around for LONG time, so if I have a child with special needs, I have to
think about who will take care of them.

I no it's not a rational way to think. I somehow feel that I was blessed
and was given a gift with Morgan.

I just don't want to push it. But then again, I should trust that all will
work out no matter what the health of my child is.

I'll give it a year and reconsider. I'm just so in love with her. I
thought it would be nice to have another.

Old July 14th 04, 05:22 AM
Christine

Awwww,,,,,DARN IT!...I would have LOVED to have had another child, i'll
be 39 in Jan. but i figured that I could have one more by the time i was
40.......BUT I would hate to take any of my time from my little
princess...;-))))

but the main reason is that my DH went and had the V
word...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say =91=91Go for it=92=92

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...ID=3D9T8S0V9F=
5G

Old July 14th 04, 01:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

I am so afraid that my child will have birth defects. I do not want to put
myself in the situation of having to worry like I did with my last
pregnancy.

The risk of DS changes by only half a percent from age 40
to age 42, so you'd hardly be changing your risk at all.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 14th 04, 02:14 PM
Marie

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that

Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

~Carol Ann
http://tinyurl.com/33uk7 ---Recent Pictures of Morgan born 3.24.04

I really recommend that you wait till Morgan grows up a bit before making
this major decision. She may be more of a handful later than you might think
now. I was 39 when I had my first child this year. There is no way I can
take care of a young baby and a toddler at the same time; other people can
but I know my limitations and it seems that I only can take care of a baby
at a time, probably due to my age. I prefer children about 3-4 years apart,
but then I would be in my mid forties before I would try again. Besides, it
took almost 3 years to (naturally) conceive my DD who is 5 months old. Who
knows how long it would take to conceive another one? I did have the
hormonal urge to have another baby when my DD was born. It since passed.

To echo others here, be sure that you want another one for yourself, not for
Morgan. Children who are onlies can have many opportunities to play and
socialize with other children and turn out just fine. I am an onlie myself
and don't feel like I missed out on not having a sibling.

Another Marie

Old July 14th 04, 02:58 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article KZ1Jc.68983$JR4.25031@attbi_s54,
Carol Ann wrote:

I no it's not a rational way to think. I somehow feel that I was blessed
and was given a gift with Morgan.

Hi Carol Ann. For the record, I'm 39 - I'll be 40 in two weeks.

I remember what you went through with the AFP and the amnio. I
actually thought of you a lot while I was pregnant - my AFP gave me 1/51
for Down Syndrome, and I freaked. The level 2 ultrasound lowered my odds
to 1/100; but I never stopped worrying until the moment she was born and
they told me she was fine. (We elected not to do the amnio; but I second-
guessed that decision every remaining day of my pregnancy.)

DH and I had always planned for just one baby. And I look back now at
the early part of my pregnancy, when I hadn't done so much reading and
didn't know to worry about a lot of things, and I can't imagine going
through it all again knowing what I know now.

But you know? If DH changed his mind, I'd try for another in a heartbeat.
(Which is probably unfair, since I'm a little ambivalent about the issue
just for myself; but if DH wanted it that'd be enough to tip the scale.)
I'd do the early (11-week) AFP/ultrasound assessment, rather than waiting,
and no matter what the results were I'd worry every single day. And I'd
worry about miscarriage and illness and what I was and wasn't eating and
accidents and stillbirth and all of it. But I'd do it. Like you, I'm madly
in love with my little demanding, sleep-depriving, diaper-generating
earthworm. How could another one be bad?

It's such an individual decision. You'll do what's right for you, no matter
what. Just remember: yes, Morgan was a gift; all our babies are gifts. And
her good health - while definitely a blessing - was not something unusual
given to you against all odds. There are never guarantees; but odds are
overwhelming that if you have another baby, he or she will also be healthy.
I understand your fear; but I suspect, like me, you give it more power than
it statistically deserves.

Best to you and Morgan, whatever you decide.

Liz & Emily (5/25/04)

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old July 14th 04, 03:24 PM
Sue

Carol Ann" wrote in message
I'll give it a year and reconsider. I'm just so in love with her. I
thought it would be nice to have another.

Then give her the gift of time from yourself. You're in love with the baby
phase like a lot of women are. I was myself. After I had my second child, I
wanted one right away. And I did end up having my last two children really
close together and I really regret not waiting a little longer with them. I
really feel like I have missed a lot of their baby years and toddler years
by having them so close together and being so busy with them. Even though
they are older now, I still don't feel like I can give all three children my
undivided attention. I am pulled three different ways most of the time and
feel like no one in my family is getting their fair share, even myself. I
really feel like I have triplets because overall all three are close
together and are requiring the same things at the same time. The last two
children don't get a long either, so that is another reason to consider. You
can't predict if siblings are going to be close or get along, so having them
close together just so that they can play and get along is not a good
predictor that they will be close and get along.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)