Doh!! Judge: Divorce cases skewed toward women

Old February 1st 05, 06:08 AM
Dusty

Default Doh!! Judge: Divorce cases skewed toward women

Judge: Divorce cases skewed toward women

BY JOE MAHONEY
DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU CHIEF

One of New York's top judges started tongues wagging after suggesting
divorce leaves men with the short end of the stick when it's time to divvy
up the dough.
In a speech last week, Court of Appeals Judge Robert Smith suggested
courts aren't always gender-neutral - and the marriage contract is often
skewed in favor of the woman, according to the New York Law Journal.

In divorce cases involving working women and stay-at-home husbands,
Smith said he suspects men still don't get their fair share.

"I read a case where the wife was a dental hygienist and the husband
said, 'That's marital property.' The court said, 'You're right, it is
marital property. You are getting 7%,'" the Law Journal quoted Smith saying
Thursday in a speech to the Family Law Section of the New York State Bar
Association.

A spokesman for the Court of Appeals said Smith had no additional
comments about the controversial speech.

"It's not something he wants to comment on further," spokesman Gary
Spencer said.

Claims of a pro-female tilt ignore the harsh financial realities of
divorce, said Marcia Pappas, head of the New York State chapter of the
National Organization for Women.

"Judge Smith is out of touch with real families," Pappas said. "How he
thinks the system favors women is really surprising to me. I'm not sure what
he's basing his personal opinions on."

But prominent New York divorce lawyer Eleanor Alter, whose clients
have included Christie Brinkley and Mia Farrow, hailed Smith for adding some
spice to the "discussion and disagreement" over matrimonial law.

"It's great that he said it," Alter said. "If we get to the point
where we can only say what's politically correct, then we're in pretty bad
shape."

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old February 1st 05, 02:52 PM
cloaked

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:08:03 -0500, "Dusty" wrote:

[...]

Gee a woman from NOW not understanding the plight of men in divorce.
What a surprize.

Wake up Marcia, he is likely basing his opinion at having seen men get
their wallet raped in a divorce 999/1000! It couldn't possibly have
anything to do with the high spousal and child support awards to women
now, could it??? Or perhaps the fact that men are often jailed and
stripped of their constitutional rights for "failure to pay"????

Get your head out of your ass Marcia.

But prominent New York divorce lawyer Eleanor Alter, whose clients
have included Christie Brinkley and Mia Farrow, hailed Smith for adding some
spice to the "discussion and disagreement" over matrimonial law.

"It's great that he said it," Alter said. "If we get to the point
where we can only say what's politically correct, then we're in pretty bad
shape."

AMEN!

Old February 1st 05, 10:31 PM
amb amb is offline
Member

Angry

The courts always favor women...we know this, however, how do you break they system when its already broken?

Join the ACLU, lets fight back. If Iraq could become a New Nation, then the strongest and wealthiest nation-USA could change their CSE Administration to reflect the "Real World" of known bias and be more pro-active in implementing new laws to assist men with, child cusody, child support...