Other activities

Old March 24th 04, 04:43 AM
Missy in Indiana

Default Other activities

IMO, if Ashlyn and Allyson aren't saying anything like "Why can't we
take____?", then they must be fine. By that age, they can express interest if
they have it.

My girls began ballet at a little over 2yo. They saw Barbie the Nutcracker and
went crazy. I researched some of the studios nearby and found one that fit our
needs (ie one that isn't "Nazi-like") and took them for a preview. They fell
in love and we signed them up. It's been a great experience for them and for
me and Rich. They go to preschool only 2 hours once a week and a parent's day
out program for 3 hours once a week, so I didn't feel this was too much.

Since summer is coming up and ballet is ending, we just did a gymnastics
preview class...again, they squealed like crazy when told they could do it if
they wanted to. I plan on enrolling them in that and one other class
consistently through the summer. We'll probably do swimming for a few weeks,
music/art program for a month, and a Spanish class for a month. This will give
them something special to do twice a week and let them try out some things.
Then, we still have 5 days for the museum, zoo, playing house, library,
veggin', etc.

Some kids like to be really scheduled, some like to play as they go. I don't
think you should be made to feel guilty no matter what you do or don't do.
Like I said, Ashlyn and Allyson don't seem to mind, so that's all that matters.
And, for what it's worth, I grew up in the country and only took one class
every now and then and I think I turned out okay LOL! (Although, that's up
for debate!) There are a lot of advantages to having those surroundings and
learning about things that some kids will not have the time or opportunity to
learn about.

Let us know what you decide!
Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old March 24th 04, 03:43 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Cindy,

I don't think you should worry too much yet. Probably when they start K and
talk to other kids, they will express more of an interest in something they
want to try. It's been my experience with DD that that is how they get
interested in things, from talking to other kids. When Erin was in K she
wanted to take dance because one of our babysitters was big into it. So we
signed her up and she hated it She now plays soccer and enjoys it a lot.
That is all she does outside of school. I really can't see us doing another
activity while soccer is going on, with two practices a week and games on
weekends. We know a lot of parents who are running to a different activity
every night and I don't know how homework or anything else gets done!

Good luck,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95