Bed rest & Stroller choice

Old July 16th 04, 11:28 PM
SMB

Default Bed rest & Stroller choice

Hello. I am in my 21st week of pregnancy W/ twins. My doctor just informed
me that I will be put on bed rest at 24 weeks. He said this is standard
practice,but I have many friends w/ twins that have not had bed rest until
the last couple of weeks?!? Any insight? I also have an 18 month old right
now & am not certain if we should get a double stroller or a triple
stroller. Any insight on size or brand?
Thank you!!! Stacey

Old July 17th 04, 12:30 AM
Jen in South Florida

SMB wrote:
Hello. I am in my 21st week of pregnancy W/ twins. My doctor just informed
me that I will be put on bed rest at 24 weeks. He said this is standard
practice,but I have many friends w/ twins that have not had bed rest until
the last couple of weeks?!?

Do you have any conditions that would make bedrest necessary? Is your
cervix shortening or starting to dilate? Are you having serious blood
pressure problems?

I carried my twins to 36 1/2 weeks without bedrest as there were no
indications for it. I ended up having a very rough birthing experience,
but bedrest would not have changed that one bit. I did stop working by
my own choice at about 25 weeks. Neither my OB or my perinatologist
ever even asked me if I was still working or not.

I realize that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I can name lots
and lots of twin mommies I know who never went on bedrest. IMHO, this
"standard practice" needs to be examined a little closer.

Jen
twin boys - 11/26/03

Old July 17th 04, 01:26 AM
Terri and Rob

I agree. With my twin pregnancy, I went to 38 weeks with no bedrest and no
complications at all. My doctor never even mentioned it, so for your doctor
to say that it is "standard practice" for all twin pregnancies is incorrect.
Bedrest is recommended in certain circumstances only. Mind you, maybe you
fit one of these circumstances, and that is what your doctor is referring to
when he/she says "standard practice". I don't know your individual
situation, but in a healthy, uncomplicated twin pregnancy, bed rest is not
usually necessary.
As for the stroller question, I would not recommend a triple because of the
size and cost. I would go with a double for your older child and one of the
babies, and to put the other baby in a sling carrier.

--

Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

"Jen in South Florida" wrote in message