Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old May 23rd 04, 04:54 PM
kstahl

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 09:49:04 -0400, kstahl wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

That was a cold prickly. Don't you have any warm fuzzies?

It is already quite warm outside thank you very much.

"The wildebeest -also known as the gnu is a large antelope. The bull's
deep grunts sound like a giant croaking frog. Because of its appearance
and spirited behavior, Dutch settlers in South Africa named the animal
wildebeest, which means wild beast."

I imagine when the female wildebeest grunts it sounds like a small
croaking frog. Isn't that what Hildebeest (Hillary) sounds like. Look
at the picture on this web site and see if you don't think it looks a
little bit like Hildebeest. Of course, the wildebeest is much better
looking than Hildebeest. It does have the fat rump like Hildebeest.

http://www.planet-pets.com/plntwldb.htm

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm

I don't actually need to see pictures of wildebeests. I've seen
them in the wild at close range near Nairobi.

Hillary's voice is high and squeaky with a whiney characteristic.

Old May 23rd 04, 05:40 PM
Holger Dansk

Holger Dansk wrote:

[...]

Well, that's why her other nickname is Shrillary.

Old May 23rd 04, 07:57 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
The examples I gave are just the tip of the iceberg. It's general
knowledge how a large number of black people abuse our language.

"General knowledge" is often incorrect.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
Old May 23rd 04, 07:59 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
Of course he would. You have to be blind and deaf not to see and know
that they not only mispronounce words, but also, use very poor grammar.

They pronounce words according to their dialect, and use the grammar
of that dialect, Neither is inherently "mis"use of the language. Your
parody, on the other hand, was not in accordance with any actual
dialect of the language, and hence could legitimately be called
"incorrect".

lojbab
Old May 23rd 04, 08:01 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:26:50 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
And, being the master, you should speak and walk and sit and behave
correctly and not sound like an idiot when you speak.

Take your own advice. The primary way one sounds like an idiot is NOT
with unusual grammar or pronunciation, but from drooling CONTENT,
which is about all you issue.

Imagine how much their lives would change for the better if they would
just take Cosby's advice and get these things corrected. Their whole
attitude could change and hopefully, they would stay out of prison.

I rather doubt that a) it is all that simple to "get these things
corrected" and b) that changing their manner of speaking would have
any significant effect on their attitude or likelihood of staying out
of prison.

lojbab
Old May 23rd 04, 08:04 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
Everyone should stand up straight when they walk.

^^^^^^^^

Why?

Should a wheelchair-bound person do so? Are they mentally deficient
because they don't?

You are really out of the ball park. You know exactly what I'm talking
about

Your word was "everyone". See it above? I responded to what you
said. I don't wish to infest myself with the perversion dwelling in
your mind by trying to read it.

lojbab
Old May 23rd 04, 08:09 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:38:34 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

So you think that correct pronunciation is only an opinion?

Yep.

That's going to bring you a lot of trouble.

It hasn't thus far, and I'm past the age of 50, and have held that
position since kindergarten, when they tried to teach us that the
"correct" way to pronounce "which" was NOT exactly like "witch", but
more like "hwich". The fact that no one outside of class pronounced
it that way, including all the adults I knew including highly educated
ones, convinced me that pronunciation rules are not really followed.

If your present job is sweeping floors at McDonalds, when you go for a
job interview, if you pronounce "sweep" as "****" and "floors" as
"goats", you might say in response to the question, "What do you do in
your present job?", "I **** goats.", and this will cause great confusion
and misunderstanding.

Then the flaw is in my failing to make myself understood, not in my
mispronouncing words. There is a difference.

lojbab
Old May 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:59:09 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

That is utterly ridiculous. Doctors would not think anything about
using the word, "crap". Many do not refer to your testicles and your
scrotum, but call it your cod sack. Doctors are not sissies.

I've never even HEARD the phrase "cod sack" before. And if any doctor
used the word "crap" in front of a kid, there are a lot of people that
would walk out then and there, and probably a couple that would try to
go after his license.

You are evidently very confused. What do you think is bad about the
word, "crap"? The American Heritage Dictionary says:

1. Vulgar Slang Excrement. 2. An act of defecating. 3. Foolish,

^^^^^^^^^^^^
deceitful, or boastful language. 4. Cheap or shoddy material. 5.
Miscellaneous or disorganized items; clutter. 6. Insolent talk or
behavior.

Did you notice that those behavior codes I cited mentioned "vulgar"
language as unacceptable or unprofessional?

Roget's Thesaurus says:

Slang. Something that does not have or make sense: balderdash, blather,
bunkum, claptrap, drivel, garbage, idiocy, nonsense, piffle, poppycock,
rigmarole, rubbish, tomfoolery, trash, twaddle. Informal : tommyrot.
Slang : applesauce, baloney, bilge, bull1, bunk2, hooey, malarkey.

Does it have some evil meaning to you?

It does to you, since you attribute such to the slang used by blacks.

But it is the "vulgar" not the "slang" that makes a word offensive.

What do you think is so bad
about it? There must have been something traumatic that happened in
your childhood when the word, "crap" was used.

It's not a bad word.

Did you think it is a word in the same category as "muhfugger"?

yes and no. It is in the dictionary; your concoction isn't.

lojbab
Old May 23rd 04, 09:55 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

R. Steve Walz wrote:
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

Christopher Weeks wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:

[Blacks] don't understand that they should value
education and speaking, walking, sitting, etc., correctly.

Are you serious? Do the rest of us all think this is hilarious, or
is it just me?

Chris

Not much on this issue is hilarious. Clearly there are racists
unleashing their hatred around here. But it is also clear (at least
by what I have read and my experience) that there is a 1 SD
difference between whites and blacks on standardized tests, asians
score even better. In my work (network research), I notice that I
have many asian and white colleagues, and almost no black
colleagues. It bothers me, but it is what I would expect in my area
from a black gaussian shifted 1 SD to the left. As far as I can
tell, this issue is very real, and its causes need to be understood.
As this problem currently seems to be intractable, I'm guessing we
don't understand enough yet.

Slainte,
Fletch

---------------
Results of IQ tests are meaningless, they only assess the results
of circumstances, they do NOT identify the causal origin of those
harmful circumstances.

IQ tests are not meaningless. They contain information. Fact, an IQ-80 guy
is *never* going to be a research mathematician.

The cause is racism and the results of racism
in the attitudes of blacks.

Prove it. From what I have read, IQs in African nations are generally even
worse.

Blacks long ago were tested for learning ability in large numbers
and it was determined that they have exactly the same ability to
learn at all levels of complexity, as whites, and as asians as well.

Prove it.

The disparity occurs due to attitudes toward white society and white
culture, and not because they are unable. They have been so brutalized
by racism and economic unfairness that they see any emulation of
anything that even MIGHT be seen as white as a betrayal of their own
kind.

Maybe. But this is hardly a settled issue.

The only way to defeat such a hatred is to pay reparations to blacks
and restore their standard of living that has been stolen from them,
by buying them homes, and buying them talented black tutors and
re-education and retraining by other talented blacks, and then giving
them jobs in black-owned businesses and industries until they have
an equal income tothe American average, then and ONLY then can they
feel that what had once been stolen from them by slavery and racism
has been restored and ON THEIR OWN TERMS! ONLY THEN will they feel
that those who robbed them have payed for their crimes!!

Even if that takes a decade of this nations GDP we will still have
to do it to finally correct the results of slavery and racism.
Steve

I could not disagree more. If I had to guess at a solution, it would be for
black leaders to force a change in black culture to more emulate that of the
right-off-the-boat asians.

Slainte,
Fletch

Old May 23rd 04, 10:03 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

EKurtz wrote:
"Fletch F. Fletch" wrote
But it is also clear (at least by what I have
read and my experience) that there is a 1 SD difference between
whites and blacks on standardized tests, asians score even better.
In my work (network research), I notice that I have many asian and
white colleagues, and almost no black colleagues.

My colleague situation is exactly the same (software, biotech,
genetics). Such blacks as there are invariably occupy lower rank
positions (HR, security, cafeteria, maintenance). Likewise Hispanics.

It bothers me, but it is what I would expect in my
area from a black gaussian shifted 1 SD to the left.

The same applies at the other end of the spectrum - more retarded
blacks than whites.

Of course, this is just a consequence of the approx. normal distribution.

As far as I can tell,
this issue is very real, and its causes need to be understood.
As this
problem currently seems to be intractable, ....

Why do you reject the genetic hypothesis? What doesn't the GH explain?

I don't. I''m not qualified to.

...I'm guessing we don't understand
enough yet.

Or, we do, but the inescapable conclusion is unacceptable, so we
demand further research.

I'm not sure we are at the inescapable conclusion stage just yet.

Slainte,

? "Scottish Libraries Across the Internet" ?

Gaelic for cheers.

Slainte,
Fletch