Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old June 1st 04, 10:36 PM
Holger Dansk

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:13:17 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 07:45:10 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:28:12 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:

Fat black bucks in a wine-barrel room,

PLease indicate the relevance of Vachel Lindsay.

He wrote the above poem.

Duh. Since you didn't mention his name or give him credit, I supplied
that information. But why is it relevant? Poetry is seldom
considered as factual evidence of anything.

It helps set the mood of the way the black savages lived in the bush
with flies buzzing around and the smell of hyena and lion doo doo and
the stench of carrion in the breeze. You could probably smell the
savages a mile away.

http://www.bartleby.com/65/li/LindsayV.html

Please indicate what in his biography leads you to believe that Vachel
Lindsay had any clue how people in Africa live(d). He wrote rhythmic
poetry based on then-dominant stereotypes, which had no more in common
with reality than your pontifications.

Lindsay claimed that the poem tries to synthesize "vaudeville form back
towards the old Greek precedent of the half-chanted lyric" and also
spoke of it as "a rag-tune epic." This marked desire to fuse ancient
poetic culture with more recent Euro- and African-American performance
materials is part of Lindsay’s yearning to do something helpful to
extirpate racial prejudice (in the aftermath of the Springfield
anti-black riots in 1908), a yearning which is totally swamped by the
poem’s raucous, sinister primitivisms. These occur under the rubric (in
the subtitle) of a "study of the Negro race," which harnesses a social
scientific word to the poems observations, as if they were authorized
by, and part of, academic studies in an ethnographic mode. A free white
gaze upon blacks is part of the power of whiteness. From the first, this
poem was taken, by certain readers, as an indication of the failure of
white liberalism; it is a bombastic response to the history of white
misrule over blacks in the first half of the twentieth century.
Confronting the 1908, or 1919, racist riots and lynchings, Lindsay
changes the subject to "Africa" and its alleged traits.

"The Congo" is a six page poem in three sections. In "Their Basic
Savagery," the "Fat black bucks" are like the "Negroes [who] seemed
eight feet high" whom Lindsay had seen in the saloons he visited on
behalf of the Women’s Christian Temperance Association, men who left him
with "a jungle impression." The prurient desire to appropriate and
devour such a source of potency is a rich motivator for "whiteness."
Lindsay’s black drinkers inspire in his observer an atemporal Africanist
"vision" of the Congo River "CREEPING THROUGH THE BLACK, / CUTTING
THROUGH THE FOREST WITH A GOLDEN TRACK," with attendant "cannibals" and
"sorcerers." The poem maintains a hint of just revenge for the Belgian
atrocities in the Congo, but essentially it creates the fear of demonic,
unmotivated cannibalism. Terror of blacks seems to be a central element
in this construction of whiteness, terror combined with a brave
fascination at seeing the "truth" of Africa displayed, even if it
threatens to eat one alive. Or, as Lindsay explained: "’Congo, Congo,
Congo, Congo, Congo, Congo,’ I said to myself. The word began to haunt.
It echoed with the war drums and cannibal yells of Africa" (1915).

The address from the "witch-doctors" is directed past the other
characters inside the poem to the reader or listener "HOO, HOO, HOO" is
the sound that at once warns and threatens. "Be careful what you do, /
Or … / Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you" (Lindsay 1984, 175). Mumbo-Jumbo is
a spooky god of demonic power and reach. Lindsay is calling upon the
meaning "an object or fetish believed to have supernatural power," but
his use also evokes other senses of the word — "gibberish," "nonsense,"
or "confused and meaningless activity, unintelligible incantation."

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poe...dsay/congo.htm

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm
Old June 1st 04, 10:43 PM
Holger Dansk

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:24:03 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:24:48 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:
and were and had been savages for
thousands of years hunting with spears and they may have even had bows
and arrows. They ate wildebeest, antelope, monkeys, guineas, hyenas,
wild dogs and each other, etc., etc., etc.

That is true for all of mankind.

Not at all. Haven't you ever heard of the Greek and Roman
civilizations, for instance?

Yes. And the Greeks and Romans had ancestors who were uncivilized
savages who lived by hunting and gathering, just like all other human
beings, and most of the evidence indicates that all of these people
ultimate had ancestors who lived in Africa. But we don't know what
color those ancestors were.

The Greek and Roman civilizations existed about 2,000 years ago. They
contributed a great deal to the modern world.

Duh.

But their ancestors came from Africa just like yours. And even long
after they lived in Africa, they were
"savages for thousands of years hunting with spears and they may have
even had bows and arrows."

The Greeks had the greatest ancient civilization.

According to who? The Chinese probably feel differently.

And what about all those European societies that *weren't* Greek in
the same timeframe? What were their contributions to the world?

All of those
thousands of years the black savages in Africa were just savages
contributing nothing to the world.

1) Prove that they were savages.

2) Why should they "contribute something to the world"? The world
contributed nothing to them.

I'm sure that was the thinking of the very few who ever even thought
about contributing anything to the world. They did very little thinking
about anything except survival and where their next meal was coming
from. Any leisure time was probably spent sitting on a termite mound
saying "muhfugger". (in their primitive language, of course)

Old June 2nd 04, 03:45 AM
R. Steve Walz

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

greccogirl wrote:
---------------
Cosby is a rich rightist asshole, he always has been, he has
played golf with Nixon and Reagan, and he's a black racist. The
"I don't give a damn" attitide is a form of disrespect that the
white society has earned with its racist and economic brutality
and unfairness!!! Steve

Well I've heard a lot of weird stuff but labeling Cosby as a
racist is quite amusing. Besides what you're not getting, is the
form of "disrespect" that you think hurts white America is really
just hurting black America. It isn't hurting those they think
they are hurting. That is what Cosby is trying to say

In case you haven't figured it out yet, R. Steve Walz pretty much
likes to tell you the way it is and call people names. Period.
Gets old quick.

Slainte,
Fletch
--------------
And scares the racist **** who can't handle it.
Steve

Case in point.

Slainte,
Fletch

------------
You SUUURE are!
Steve

You just can't help yourself.

You need to relax. Unless your goal is to get high blood pressure, you're
not getting anywhere. Your pathetic style of debate rarely convinces
anybody of anything. But please, keep stamping your feet.

Slainte,
Fletch

--------------
Mind your mind, it's defective.
Steve
Old June 2nd 04, 03:46 AM
R. Steve Walz

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:
wrote:

On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:35:19 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

greccogirl wrote:

---------------
Cosby is a rich rightist asshole, he always has been, he has
played golf with Nixon and Reagan, and he's a black racist. The
"I don't give a damn" attitide is a form of disrespect that the
white society has earned with its racist and economic brutality
and unfairness!!! Steve

Well I've heard a lot of weird stuff but labeling Cosby as a
racist is quite amusing. Besides what you're not getting, is the
form of "disrespect" that you think hurts white America is really
just hurting black America. It isn't hurting those they think
they are hurting. That is what Cosby is trying to say
-----------------------
Cosby has always hung out with the GOP, he's a log-cabin repub
dildo. Or didn't you know that, he's a ****ing Oreo.
Steve

Do I detect a bit of jealousy in yours and the others' tone.

---------------
He's ****ing ignorant and evil, why would I or anyone be jealous!

The man made a lot of money,

----------------
Thieves don't impress me

contributed heavily to worthy charities

------------------
The RNC isn't a charity.

and educational programs and you and the others start with the
name calling.

-----------------------
Everything he pays for is self-serving on his part.

It would do
you well to take stock in what you're doing for your community
instead of expecting Bill Cosby to come to your sorry assed rescue.

-----------------
**** rescue, I only want that sad little liar to shut the **** up!
Steve

Why? You're allowed to talk. Why not him?

Slainte,
Fletch

-----------------
Simple. He's vicious and wrong.
Steve
Old June 2nd 04, 03:47 AM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

Holger
http://www.mind****.com/~holger1/holger1.htm

--------------------
You're a sick ****ing racist ****.
Steve
Old June 2nd 04, 03:50 AM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

Holger

http://www.mind****.com/~holger1/holger1.htm

---------------------
Cutting and pasting won't excuse you, you racist ****.
Steve
Old June 2nd 04, 03:52 AM
Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message
Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

wrote:

greccogirl wrote:

---------------
[...]

why don't you two butt-snifferz get a room somewhere and do your
crotch-grabbing in private ?

Old June 2nd 04, 03:56 AM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

The Greek and Roman civilizations existed about 2,000 years ago. They
contributed a great deal to the modern world.

The Greeks had the greatest ancient civilization. All of those
thousands of years the black savages in Africa were just savages
contributing nothing to the world.

Holger
http://www.mind****.com/~holger1/holger1.htm

--------------------------------
Greeks did nothing but quarrel and fight, the Athenian democracy
was impossible without the enslavement of captives taken in often
cowardly raids on other more peaceful peoples.

The Romans likewise, Rome was 3/5ths slaves when it fell apart.
The only thing amazing about that society was how much useless crap
architecture could be built by enslaving people and being vicious.

Mind you, I even LIKE the Romans, and Latin, which I studied for
5 years and can still SPEAK conversationally! But I like them ONLY
as SICK HUMOR and as an alternative example of public sexuality.

Your sick vicious racism cannot be excused by more of your cut and
paste pseudo-scholarship!
Steve
Old June 2nd 04, 04:00 AM
Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message

Mind you, I even LIKE the Romans, and Latin, which I studied for
5 years and can still SPEAK conversationally!

SURE you can, BOY

Old June 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
R. Steve Walz

wrote:
[...]

---------------------------
You're delusional. We lived exactly that way till we had the where-
withall to do better, which only happens little by little, and only
randomly as an accidental circumstance that permitted improvement.
We are no different than they are genetically, or even culturally,
as it was only a sick ignorant vicious streak in our culture that
allowed us to enslave people without conscience and to abuse other
cultures in the world to steal their resources and conquer another
continent from its peaceful resiedents, or we'd be living exactly
the same way! There's no nobility to western society, in fact we
are far more vicious than most of our victim cultures we looted
and pillaged and do still to this day! Or at least we have been,
we are finally just in the last 40 years beginning to develop a
conscience.
Steve