OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Old October 16th 04, 07:29 PM
firedancer623

"Banty" wrote in message
In article Nsccd.733287$M95.730025@pd7tw1no, lizzard woman says...

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:Ygccd.319$TU5.270@trndny06...

(snip)

| Ok, lets get back to reality now. Im not moving anywhere (though I'd
love
| move to Canada) however it's NOT because of jury duty!!!

I'm a US citizen who has been living in Canada for the last ~1.5 years.
Canada is very similar to the US except the taxes are higher and the
health
care access is worse.

Worse only if you've been fortunate enough to be on employer-sponsored
medical
benefits.

You mean like the military? I can't imagine it being worse than that was. I
can't even count the times I was sick and had to wait at least a week to be
seen. I'd have to go to the er only to be asked "why didn't you make an
appointment?" and get poorly treated after having waited all day. And don't
get me started on the active duty in uniform head-of-line priveledge. So
many times I'd wait for an obscene amount of time with screaming kids for
some young guy to walk in and go first, or cut in the prescription line. My
husband, if in uniform, would go to the end of the line and they would
actually MAKE him go first. He hated it too.

My daughter was treated so badly by both an Air Force hospital ER and the
next night at the Naval hospital when she was 16 mos old that we ended up
saying screw it and took her to a civilian emergency room (and paid out of
pocket for the cost) they told us there that she could have *died* due to
severe dehydration if we had waited another day. And those fools told us
"she looks fine to me" and sent us home.

However, it was free so that was a plus.I'd still rather pay what we do than
deal with that. It's sad and it shouldn't be that bad. I hope it's gotten
better since we've gotten out.

Banty (who carried those less fortunate in the U.S. to emergency rooms)

Old October 16th 04, 07:29 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:12:38 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

Did you have to give up your US citizenship?

IIRC Canada do not require you to give up another citizenship if you
take up Canadian citizenship anyway - I have family with dual
Canadian/UK citizenship.

OTOH there's always my Mum who lived in NZ 40 years before she applied
for citizenship (non-Citizens can vote in NZ, as long as they have
permanent residency).

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005
Old October 16th 04, 07:37 PM
lizzard woman

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message

(snip)

| OTOH there's always my Mum who lived in NZ 40 years before she applied
| for citizenship (non-Citizens can vote in NZ, as long as they have
| permanent residency).

What do you have to do to show permanent residency? We own a house and my
kids attend public school... is that enough?

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old October 16th 04, 07:50 PM
Banty

In article kEdcd.733799$M95.507787@pd7tw1no, lizzard woman says...

"Banty" wrote in message
| In article roccd.116745$a41.69103@pd7tw2no, lizzard woman says...

(snip)

| Rabidly religious people who admit they they rely on religion rather than
| critical thought and logic are not peers of most people and shouldn't sit
on
| juries. Recall that although most people in the US identify themselves
with
| one religion or another, they in fact do not use those values in living
| their every day life.
|

| Oh, foo.
|
| Religious people also go on trial, and need a jury of their peers, too!
|
| And there's a reason why a jury is twelve (or sometimes six), and why
there is a
| vior dire procedure in sitting a jury.

I've also got it from good sources that the Amish use up their horses with
gay abandon, having little concern for taking proper care of them. They tend
to buy up unusable trotters and pacers from race tracks at very cheap prices
and just use them up because they are relatively cheap and they can always
get more where the other ones came from.

Say "foo" to that!

Sort of reminds me of Falwell's opinion that environmental laws are
completely insane because the rapture will happen soon and there is no need
to ever conserve anything on the planet because of that. Heh.

Your extreme dislike of religious people is well known. I'm not even religious,
and I'm getting tired of it.

But, since you're right that there won't be a 'rapture' to make all these things
moot, here's something I do care about: If anyone is banned from juries because
of their lifestyle or opinions, there's nothing stopping the next lifestyle or
opinion to be banned being mine. Or yours.

Banty

Old October 16th 04, 07:54 PM
Sara

In article T%7cd.580$EL5.92@trndny09,
"firedancer623" wrote:

I dont know. I guess we dont know all that much about it other than the few
people he's talk to who work over there (all are US citizens who have
transferred over) I think he was concerned more with the kids. I am pretty
sure they can get dual citizenship but not sure.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't see it actually happening though.

Do they not have jury duty in Canada?

--
Sara,
accompanied by her traveling companion
Old October 16th 04, 07:54 PM
Banty

In article 8Mdcd.412$UX3.362@trndny03, firedancer623 says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article Nsccd.733287$M95.730025@pd7tw1no, lizzard woman says...

"firedancer623" wrote in message

(snip)

| Ok, lets get back to reality now. Im not moving anywhere (though I'd
love
| move to Canada) however it's NOT because of jury duty!!!

I'm a US citizen who has been living in Canada for the last ~1.5 years.
Canada is very similar to the US except the taxes are higher and the
health
care access is worse.

Worse only if you've been fortunate enough to be on employer-sponsored
medical
benefits.

You mean like the military? I can't imagine it being worse than that was. I
can't even count the times I was sick and had to wait at least a week to be
seen. I'd have to go to the er only to be asked "why didn't you make an
appointment?" and get poorly treated after having waited all day. And don't
get me started on the active duty in uniform head-of-line priveledge. So
many times I'd wait for an obscene amount of time with screaming kids for
some young guy to walk in and go first, or cut in the prescription line. My
husband, if in uniform, would go to the end of the line and they would
actually MAKE him go first. He hated it too.

My daughter was treated so badly by both an Air Force hospital ER and the
next night at the Naval hospital when she was 16 mos old that we ended up
saying screw it and took her to a civilian emergency room (and paid out of
pocket for the cost) they told us there that she could have *died* due to
severe dehydration if we had waited another day. And those fools told us
"she looks fine to me" and sent us home.

However, it was free so that was a plus.I'd still rather pay what we do than
deal with that. It's sad and it shouldn't be that bad. I hope it's gotten
better since we've gotten out.

*I* grew up with military medical care. You may have your complaints (and
frankly, you don't seem to be satisfied with *anything*), but that does not even
begin to address how people have to live who don't have access to care at all.
Let alone the public health concerns for such a large population without any
access. Like the resurgence of TB.

Banty

Old October 16th 04, 08:11 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:37:45 GMT, "lizzard woman"
wrote:

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message
.. .

(snip)

| OTOH there's always my Mum who lived in NZ 40 years before she applied
| for citizenship (non-Citizens can vote in NZ, as long as they have
| permanent residency).

What do you have to do to show permanent residency? We own a house and my
kids attend public school... is that enough?

Permanent residency is an immigration status - she doesn't have to
prove she'll always be there! Just have to have been awarded
permanent residency. Oddly enough she couldn't *actually* prove her
permanent resident status for a long time. She emigrated as a child
and when she first came to leave NZ she had no official piece of paper
confirming her residency status, since she'd been admitted to the
country on her father's passport. All she could do was present proof
of 30 years in the country (most of her schooling, two university
degrees, a marriage, two NZ born children, admittance as a Barrister
and Solicitors of the High Court of NZ, etc etc) and on that basis
they awarded her a returning residents visa so she could get back in
the country!

There are different categories of residency visa in NZ, of which
permanent residency entitles the holder to remain in NZ as long as
they wish. They can vote, whereas those whose residency is only
temporary (i.e. they have a time limited visa) or student, or
whatever, cannot.

Its unusual for non-Citizens to be able to vote, most countries
restrict to only citizens (the US, for example) or only allow them to
vote in certain elections (in the UK, Commonwealth citizens can vote
in local elections, but not national ones). Personally I disagree
with restrictions on non-citizens voting, but thats the rules.

Megan
Old October 16th 04, 08:25 PM
Sophie

"lizzard woman" wrote in message

"Sophie" wrote in message
| I'm a US citizen who has been living in Canada for the last ~1.5 years.
| Canada is very similar to the US except the taxes are higher and the
| health
| care access is worse. My tree trimmer, as a small businessman,
| spontaneously launched into a rant about how hostile Canada is to

small
| business owners. He said taxes are killing him partly because 60% of
| employed people in Alberta are employed by the government (all levels

| think he was taking about). He said his brother in the US has a

similar
| business and keeps much more of his income. He claimed Canada was red
| communistic; I talked him off that ledge and we mutually decided that
it
| was closer to "pink."
|
| Just my observation.
|
| --
| sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)
|

| Did you have to give up your US citizenship?

NO! We are temporary residents. My husband has a limited work visa (can
only work at his company), I have an open work visa (nice of them but I
don't need it since I am still with my US Fed Agency), and our kids have
school visas. All visas expire in 3 years if I'm not mistaken and would

have
to be renewed if we are still here then.

I don't think we could even apply for dual citizenship under our
circumstances, nor would I bother to do so. No reason whatsoever.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Okay, just wondered since Kari mentioned it. I didn't think you would have
to.

Old October 16th 04, 08:25 PM
Sophie

"lizzard woman" wrote in message

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message

(snip)

| OTOH there's always my Mum who lived in NZ 40 years before she applied
| for citizenship (non-Citizens can vote in NZ, as long as they have
| permanent residency).

What do you have to do to show permanent residency? We own a house and my
kids attend public school... is that enough?

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Here (in the US) I suppose that would be having a Green Card.

Old October 16th 04, 08:30 PM
Sophie

You mean like the military? I can't imagine it being worse than that was.
can't even count the times I was sick and had to wait at least a week to

be
seen. I'd have to go to the er only to be asked "why didn't you make an
appointment?" and get poorly treated after having waited all day. And

don't
get me started on the active duty in uniform head-of-line priveledge. So
many times I'd wait for an obscene amount of time with screaming kids for
some young guy to walk in and go first, or cut in the prescription line.

My
husband, if in uniform, would go to the end of the line and they would
actually MAKE him go first. He hated it too.

Um, the hospital and its staff are there for the military. As a benefit we
get to be seen there.
When I need a prescription to be picked up and Dylan's here, he goes after
work in uniform and is done in 5 minutes

My daughter was treated so badly by both an Air Force hospital ER and the
next night at the Naval hospital when she was 16 mos old that we ended up
saying screw it and took her to a civilian emergency room (and paid out of
pocket for the cost) they told us there that she could have *died* due to
severe dehydration if we had waited another day. And those fools told us
"she looks fine to me" and sent us home.

Why didn't you demand she wasn't fine? Ask for the hospital CO. They will
definitely go get him/her. They have for us. Maybe it shouldn't have to go
that far but you can do that. There's also the Patient Advocacy Office.

However, it was free so that was a plus.I'd still rather pay what we do

than
deal with that. It's sad and it shouldn't be that bad. I hope it's gotten
better since we've gotten out.

It has but I think attitude makes a difference.