They can afford televisions, but . . .

Old September 16th 03, 08:37 PM
dragonlady

Default They can afford televisions, but . . .

In article ,
"Welches" wrote:

dragonlady wrote in message
This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

Surely the children could paint one if it's that necessary. Personally I
think saying the pledge sounds very cringy. Why should they need a flag,
televised or otherwise?

As an aside: me and dh were wondering whether you can withdraw your child
from saying it, like you could if it was religious? (I know nothing about
it)

Debbie

yes.

There are religions that prohibit saying the pledge for one reason or
another. Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, will not say the pledge.
According to

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness3.htm,

a web site which I have found highly reliable, Jehovah's Witnesses
"regard the world and its governments as being under the control of
Satan. For this reason they do not run for public office, salute the
flag, join the Armed Forces, or vote in elections."

I know there are other religions that prohibit swearing oaths or
allegiences to any but God, and my own children have refused to say the
"under God" part. The schools cannot compell the children to recite the
pledge (or even to stand during its recitation).

I don't live in Minnesota, but if I remember what I've read about their
new law, the law requires that the classes recite the pledge but does
not require that each child take part. Indeed, if they tried to, I
suspect there'd be a very quick law suit!

meh

Old September 17th 03, 05:41 AM
Lina

Default Channel One WAS: They can afford televisions, but . . .

"toto" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:28:58 GMT, dragonlady
wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Unable to buy enough real flags for the new school
year, Central High has taken to showing an image of the American flag on
classroom TVs while students make the pledge.

A new state law requires school children to say the pledge at least once
a week, and the school simply doesn't have enough flags for that.

Per your subject header, they probably did not buy the televisions,
those were undoubtedly provided free by Channel one when they
agreed to have the kids watch the *commercials* in exchange for
the equipment.

We had Channel One at my college. Let me just say "
ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH"
I was sure that within about three minutes, I was going to go mental!
At home, I mute commercials for a good reason! The propaganda is
overwhelming!
I've heard that in addition to this, school are also getting sponsored
textbooks. "If one McDonald's cheeseburger costs...."
This is sickening. I know that schools are underfunded, and horribly so,
but should we as parents really be letting our kids learn from giant
organizations who could care less about their health and well being? I
personally think not.

Old September 17th 03, 06:07 AM
Vicki

I expect that in a classroom, a real television and/or computer have more
alternative educational uses than a real flag. If they didn't have a real
flag for all-school assemblies, I'd find that troublesome.