How to wean your baby from a mothers point of view

Old December 17th 07, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

Default How to wean your baby from a mothers point of view

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 05:15:34 -0800 (PST), mommak
wrote:
There are other ways to comfort babies. Babies are comforted by love
and sound. Some babies like music. When Ariel finally stopped
breastfeeding, I comforted her with music. I think that is why so
loves music now. She dances and moves her hips. She is really a happy
baby. And I feel as if how I've raised her is how I will try to raise
the next.

Yeah, that's what I did with my children also- try to raise them the
same. But my last baby, well the breast was all she needed. She would
NOT take a bottle the times I had to be away(funerals or health
crisis), she would NOT take a pacifier(and trust me I tried by day 2
with all the nursing she was doing). No music helped, and she does
love music now, it just did not help comfort her as a baby.
Now there was a short span of time when a calander would make her
squeal in laughter at about 8 weeks(and boy it took awhile to figure
out why she would squeal when I'd hold her over my shoulder in the
kitchen!) but that was it until much later. You NEVER know what kind
of baby mama nature is going to give you. After having two babies, I
figured I pretty much had it all down. Then my third one came and life
was a mess for the first year and it slowly camed down over the next
few years. She's 5 now and you'd never know how clingy and attached to
the breast she was unless you'd known her before.
Marie
Old December 17th 07, 02:51 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Caledonia wrote in

oups.com:

DD2 said to me tonight, 'will winter last forever?'
whereupon I explained that technically, this was still
fall.

only 5 more days

Way, way too much snow. 18", with a nice 1/3 inch crust of
ice. (Thursday, +10, Last night, +5)

seriously? i'm *so* glad we're having a more normal winter
finally! i don't like the ice, but we didn't really get any.
it never got above 16 yesterday.
i would be even more pleased about the snow if i didn't have
a llama needing PT and no barn or shed or anything to really
work in. she's cold & it's slippery on her platform. that's SO
not helping get her back on her feet.
lee
Old December 17th 07, 02:58 PM posted to misc.kids
hedgehog42

On Dec 17, 6:31 am, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Me Myself and I wrote:

"mommak" wrote in message

snip: paste

plus she eats solids,
of course I chew it up most of the time for her

Oh **** I hope you are joking. That's so filthy, have you not heard of a
fork or a masher??

What's so filthy about it? She's living with her child, in close daily
contact with her, presumably (hopefully) kissing her regularly. I'm
betting any germs she has are going to be transferred anyway.

I'm pretty sure that several years back I read a study linking early
childhood tooth decay to the transfer of saliva from mom to infant/
toddler. Not in kissing, but in the common practice of letting baby
eat off your own fork/spoon, or drink from your own cup. ("See --
mashed turnips are nummy -- Mama likes them-mmm!")

I'd expect chewing the food for the baby would up the transfer of
bacteria from Mom considerably.

I'd hope this is a practice confined to the privacy of her own home or
car! Because in a restaurant, I'm sure this would squick me out more
than seeing a 1 YO breastfeeding...

Lori G.

I can't
imagine why anyone would bother chewing food for a baby instead of
mashing it - sounds way too time-consuming, not to mention that a
one-year-old is going to be perfectly capable of eating finger food and
should really be learning how to chew for herself - but I don't see
hygiene as an issue here.

All the best,

Sarah
--http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old December 17th 07, 03:03 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Sarah Vaughan wrote in
:

Me Myself and I wrote:
"mommak" wrote in message

snip: paste

plus she eats solids,
of course I chew it up most of the time for her

Oh **** I hope you are joking. That's so filthy, have you
not heard of a fork or a masher??

What's so filthy about it? She's living with her child, in
close daily contact with her, presumably (hopefully)
kissing her regularly. I'm betting any germs she has are
going to be transferred anyway.

because, unless she's french kissing the baby, she's not
transferring the bacteria that cause tooth decay by kissing
her. by chewing the food & giving that to the baby, she's
transferring bacteria.
check with your dentist, but mine strongly discourages the
practice of giving babies prechewed food.
and, that said, Boo was grabbing & eating/gumming off my
plate before 8 months. he never had baby food & i never
bothered with pureeing things (or chewing them) for him. other
than yogurt, guacamole & hummus, he hated pureed food.
lee
Old December 17th 07, 03:07 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Stephanie" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
mommak wrote in

egr oups.com:

there may be truth to what you say but still, a 3 or 4
year old on a ninnie or bottle, come one now, we have a 1
year old that prefers good smelling food to anything
else.

it's not all about food. nursing is something very
comforting to a child. some kids need that comfort longer
than others. while my now 7 year old has been weaned for a
couple years, he still spends a great deal of time on my
lap, my back, kissing me, & hugging me. he has a very high
need for sensory input, particularly touch. that's just
how he is. lee

God I hated to hear that. "Oh he's just comfort nursing!"
What JUST? If you had something to comfort him, wouldn't
you? Instead of walking around the room with a screaming
baby?!? Who the hell doesn't want to comfort their baby?

so is you no-longer-a-baby still really cuddly?
i'm pretty sure it's Boo's personality, but he does like to
use me as an excuse to be shy. he acts a lot different when
i'm present & when i'm not.
lee
Old December 17th 07, 03:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Stephanie" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Very. he is just like that. My dd never comfort nursed.

i'm pretty sure it's Boo's personality, but he does like to
use me as an excuse to be shy. he acts a lot different when
i'm present & when i'm not.
lee

All kids are like that!

Old December 17th 07, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 17, 9:05 am, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
mommak wrote:

[...]

no attitude here just backing up how i RAISED MY CHILD

But you're *not* just doing that. You're also criticising how other
people choose to raise *their* children, and have even implied that
there's a morality problem with extended nursing.

All the best,

Sarah
--http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Ok. Maybe I got out of hand a little. I agree everyone raises their
child how they want. But I still don't see myself breastfeeding my
next child till he or she is 3 or even 4. I think the longest I'd
breastfeed would be up to 1.5 years old. I'm sorry if I have upset
anyone, but also don't critise me for the way I choose to raise my
child,.
Old December 17th 07, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Stephanie" wrote in
:

There are other ways to comfort babies. Babies are
comforted by love and sound. Some babies like music. When
Ariel finally stopped breastfeeding, I comforted her with
music.

there are other ways to comfort *some* babies. i don't really
dislike you, so i will hope that you never have a child with
sensory or other issues. you seriously do not understand what
it is like not having an "easy" baby.

My son was never comforted by music, rocking and sound.

the best way to get Boo off on a hissy was to try "other ways
to comfort". there's nothing like having a tiny baby turning
purple & arching backwards because the adult thinks they can
'handle babies'. baby wants cuddle & nurse, not walking,
rocking & a song & dance. sheesh. (yeah, my in-laws thought
they knew babies. they didn't know him)
lee and he still hasn't forgiven them either. he's very
stand-offish around them
Old December 17th 07, 03:22 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

Me Myself and I wrote:

"mommak" wrote in message

[...]

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell- Hide quoted text -

When she first started eating solid foods, we chewed them up for for.
We have been doing since then, and there are no problems here with
bacteria. And as far as chewing food up ..... how would that cause
tooth decay. Either we chew it or she chews it.... whats the
difference???? She is eating most foods on her own, but there are
still things we chew for her. Like I said before... she only has about
8 teeth. Doctors tell you a lot of things.... Such as to clean your
bottles you should boil them. Well I never boiled her bottles and she
is perfectly healthy.
Old December 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 17, 10:07 am, enigma wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote m:

"enigma" wrote in message
[...]

lee- Hide quoted text -

Ariel loves to cuddle. She is a very loving baby. She pats us ont he
back when she gives us hugs. She loves kisses. She was ready to be
weaned, and I know that because as soon as she was weaned, she idn't
bother with my ninnies. In the shower she don't bother them and I
sleep shirtless at night, and she still don't bother them. When I was
breastfeeding her, she had an all night buffet, so now that she is
weaned and not trying to suck on them at night, that is what lets me
know she was ready for it