(x-posted) Dishwasher recommendation needed please...

Old December 16th 07, 04:13 PM posted to misc.kids, alt.mothers
[email protected]

Default (x-posted) Dishwasher recommendation needed please...

We need to buy a new dishwasher. It's a family of four and we use it
every day. Up until now we never had to buy one new. We always used
whatever came with the apartment or house and as you know the builders
buy the one with bare minimum features.

Since there are a few dozens of models out there, I wanted to ask for
recommendation. What features do you like about the one you have? Or
given a chance what would you get? We've had bad experience with GE
microwave and dishwasher in our house and their customer service
wasn't good either so we'd prefer another brand.

My only requirement is that it doesn't break and does its job well.
It's bad enough that we have to replace a 6 year old unit and we're
just about sick of washing dishes by hand every night.

TIA for your suggestions.
Old December 16th 07, 04:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

The features that I love on my dishwasher a

Delay start: which lets you set the dishwasher to run, but not right
away. This way I can have it run in the middle of the night when no one
will be bothered by the noise of hot water use, and I can even keep
set the thing to run later.

Temperature sensor: Won't start the cycle unless the hot water is
actually hot. Useful in our house, where two showers use up the hot
water for the next 30 minutes.

Consumer Reports (available at most public libraries) can give you
information about reliability, how clean dishes come out, etc. You can
also google "best dishwasher" to get other takes.

Features to consider that I've never had:

Grinder: Does it grind up the solid waste for you or do you need to
rinse dishes well and clean the filter regularly?

Water and energy efficiency: Some washers are very efficient, others
aren't.

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old December 16th 07, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On 16 Dec 2007 16:54:10 GMT, Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi --

The features that I love on my dishwasher a

Delay start: which lets you set the dishwasher to run, but not right
away. This way I can have it run in the middle of the night when no one
will be bothered by the noise of hot water use, and I can even keep
set the thing to run later.

I used to only do dishes at night, because the dishwasher was so loud.
That was a problem when we had guests, because the guest bedroom was
downstairs and doing dishes anytime was too loud.

We finally resolved that problem by buying a quiet dishwasher. Now, we can
wash dishes anytime and that is the absolute best thing about my
dishwasher.

It's a Bosch. I think they can get expensive, but the one we got was a
lower end one and did not cost much.
Old December 17th 07, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids, alt.mothers
Zipadee

On Dec 16, 11:13 am, wrote:
We need to buy a new dishwasher. It's a family of four and we use it
every day. Up until now we never had to buy one new. We always used
whatever came with the apartment or house and as you know the builders
buy the one with bare minimum features.

Since there are a few dozens of models out there, I wanted to ask for
recommendation. What features do you like about the one you have? Or
given a chance what would you get? We've had bad experience with GE
microwave and dishwasher in our house and their customer service
wasn't good either so we'd prefer another brand.

My only requirement is that it doesn't break and does its job well.
It's bad enough that we have to replace a 6 year old unit and we're
just about sick of washing dishes by hand every night.

TIA for your suggestions.

I also have one that has a delayed start feature but I rarely use
that.
My dishwasher is pretty quiet. It's a Sears Kenmore one that I've
had for about 2 years now and it's been fine.

I wanted to mention that you can also look at some of the Consumer
Reports stuff online at www.consumerreports.org You can get some
general information without subscribing, or you can subscribe to
the online version to see ratings.

-- Zip
Old December 17th 07, 11:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message
Delay start: which lets you set the dishwasher to run, but not right
away. This way I can have it run in the middle of the night when no one
will be bothered by the noise of hot water use, and I can even keep
set the thing to run later.

We used to run the dishewasher at night until it caught on fire. And it was
a good brand name and only less than a year old. It happen to be a
malfunction in the wiring. We were able to trade in for a new one that was
more quiet to run anytime.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 17th 07, 02:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:38:02 -0500, "Sue"
wrote:
We used to run the dishewasher at night until it caught on fire. And it was
a good brand name and only less than a year old. It happen to be a
malfunction in the wiring. We were able to trade in for a new one that was
more quiet to run anytime.

OMG! I already won't run the dryer while we are away from home, now
the dishwasher too! Did it damage your kitchen any?
Marie
Old December 17th 07, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Marie" wrote in message
OMG! I already won't run the dryer while we are away from home, now
the dishwasher too! Did it damage your kitchen any?
Marie

No, thank goodness. DH happened to get up and go to the bathroom and smelled
something funny. I do think though if he hadn't gotten up when he did that
it would have been more damage because the door of the dishwasher was
extremely hot and smelling really bad. I used to run the dryer and washer
when I left the house, but now I am too paranoid and our house is really
old. I don't trust the wiring.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 17th 07, 05:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:54:15 -0500, "Sue"
wrote:
No, thank goodness. DH happened to get up and go to the bathroom and smelled
something funny. I do think though if he hadn't gotten up when he did that
it would have been more damage because the door of the dishwasher was
extremely hot and smelling really bad. I used to run the dryer and washer
when I left the house, but now I am too paranoid and our house is really
old. I don't trust the wiring.

I'm glad it didn't damage anything else. Did you get another
dishwasher yet?
I'm too paranoid to even leave the crockpot on all day if we're not
home. I have issues with fire hazards!!
Marie