Any advice for potty training??

Old December 20th 07, 01:34 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

Default Any advice for potty training??

On Dec 20, 2:50Â*am, Chris wrote:
On Dec 19, 8:24�pm, mommak wrote:

On Dec 19, 6:40 pm, hedgehog42 wrote:

On Dec 19, 7:14 am, mommak wrote:

On Dec 18, 9:38 pm, hedgehog42 wrote:

On Dec 18, 7:10 pm, (Beth Kevles) wrote:

FYI, the early potty training of babies less than a year old is
currently called "elimination communication" or "elimination timing".
It's very healthy for babies, but time-consuming for parents.

Oh, that's right -- I'd read about this awhile back and forgot about
it; I don't know anyone practicing it. Thanks for the reminder. �I can
see its appeal. No diaper expense, no contact of waste material with
skin, much less irritation. I also like the name, which lets you know
up front that this is NOT a means of teaching a baby to use the
toilet.

I can also see its limits. That does require an extraordinary
commitment on the parents' part -- and one that's probably going to be
restricted to those willing or able to practice full-time AP.

Lori G

I have plenty of time to share with Ariel. I spend all day every day
with her... I didn't have to go back to work, so I didn't. I decided
to be a stay at home mom. So time isn't a problem.

I spent all day every day with each of my 3, too, and practiced �other
Attachment Parenting principles, like extended breastfeeding. But
"elimination communication" just seemed like too much extra work to
me, and it wasn't how I wanted to spend my time with each kid. You
mentioned that you can't yet read Ariel's cues when she's about to
pee. I never did recognize those signs in my (pre potty trained) kids,
and I bet most parents can't. Those cues are usually much more subtle
than bowel movement cues.

I hated the thought of all the extra laundry and cleanup that would be
necessary when I missed the kid's cues that he was about to eliminate.

And I didn't want to figure out all the specifics of how to cope with
car trips or the times when grandparents wanted to let us enjoy a
child-free anniversary dinner, or even if I needed emergency root
canal and needed to use our sitting co-op for an hour (caregivers who
aren't 24/7 can't read the kid's signals).

If diaper rash �had been a problem, or if we couldn't afford the
diapers, I might have been motivated to learn more.. (Parents who go
that route probably have solutions for all those situations.) But even
though I had the time, I didn't have the interest in putting that much
effort in on this aspect of parenting.

Your mileage may vary, and if so, best wishes for success.

Lori G.- Hide quoted text -

Well Thanks. �I'm not planning on spending every minute trying to get
her to potty on the toilet, but I will take her in the bathroom when I
go. And for car trips. If she isn't completely potty trained to where
she can hold it. I will put on a pull up or something... and it
explain to her it is just in cause she has an accident.- Hide quoted text -

There are portable blow-up potties you can put in the car. I made one
myself out of an old Christmas popcorn tin and a portable toilet seat
cover that folded real little. I kept a roll of toilet paper in the
car and paper towels and small garbage bags. When we were on long car
trips and the kids had to go, I pulled off on an exit, parked the car
and walked into the back, lined the can first with the trash bag and
then threw a bunch of paper towel in the bottom so it wouldn't leak,
put the cover on and they went right there sitting in the back of the
car. We had an SUV though, so I don't find that working as well in say
a 4-door sedan. lol. I then tossed it in the trash and we were on our
way again.- Hide quoted text -

Well... I didn't think of that, but that is a great idea. I'd at least
give it a try when I thought she was trained enough to tell me in
time. I wouldn't really want an accient in the seat of my car, but if
she didn't have an accident I still wouldn't get mad. Thanks for the
great advice / idea .
Old December 20th 07, 01:37 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 20, 6:40 am, enigma wrote:
mommak wrote
oups.com:

Well Thanks. I'm not planning on spending every minute
trying to get her to potty on the toilet, but I will take
her in the bathroom when I go. And for car trips. If she
isn't completely potty trained to where she can hold it. I
will put on a pull up or something... and it explain to her
it is just in cause she has an accident.

there are people who will tell you that putting a child in
pullups for part of the time when potty training "confuses"
the child. don't listen to them. it doesn't.
and it's not unusual for a daytime potty trained child to
continue to wet the bed for years, because there's an entirely
separate issue involved in night time urinary control, which
involves the body starting to make a particular hormone that
allows the kid to wake up when they have to pee. it is not
within the child's control when that happens.
just an FYI, because some kids night train at the same time,
but a good percentage of them don't.
lee

I don't see where she would be confused either, as long as I explain
to her why she is wearing a pull up instead of panties. Especially in
the first stages of potty training, like you said where they haven't
learned to control it at night. Thanks for the advice!
Old December 20th 07, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

On Dec 20, 8:04 am, Nan wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:30:38 -0800 (PST), mommak

wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28 pm, Nan wrote:
ps. You still didn't answer my question as to whether or not you
receive payment for click-throughs on your "blog".

I have put google adsense advertisers into my blog that are relevant
to my subject. Read up on google adsense, type a search and figure it
out for yourself. Thats the best answer I will give you.

Why can't you just say "YES I GET PAID FOR CLICK-THOUGHS" ??
Oh wait.... BECAUSE THEN YOU'D HAVE TO ADMIT TO SPAMMING.

You've been politely asked to stop. You refuse.
You've gotten the suggestion to put your spam in your sig. You
refuse, and lie that you're not spamming.

Nan

I'm not spamming my blog. I've not posted it on here any more.
Old December 20th 07, 02:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28 pm, Nan wrote:
ps. You still didn't answer my question as to whether or not you
receive payment for click-throughs on your "blog".

I have put google adsense advertisers into my blog that are relevant
to my subject. Read up on google adsense, type a search and figure it
out for yourself. Thats the best answer I will give you.

Why can't you just say "YES I GET PAID FOR CLICK-THOUGHS" ??
Oh wait.... BECAUSE THEN YOU'D HAVE TO ADMIT TO SPAMMING.

You've been politely asked to stop. You refuse.
You've gotten the suggestion to put your spam in your sig. You
refuse, and lie that you're not spamming.

Nan

I'm not spamming my blog. I've not posted it on here any more.

As of yesterday you were still defending yourself and claiming it was
not spam.

If you're not going to post it here any longer, then thank you.

Nan

Old December 20th 07, 02:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:37:30 -0800 (PST), mommak
wrote:
I don't see where she would be confused either, as long as I explain
to her why she is wearing a pull up instead of panties. Especially in
the first stages of potty training, like you said where they haven't
learned to control it at night. Thanks for the advice!

It's not that they haven't "learned" to control it at night- it's that
they *can't* control it. Somehow your body does not wake you up and it
does not hold the urine in. I was a bed-wetter and two of my three
children were bedwetters also.
I have found out over the years that bedwetting is much more common
than you will ever know, b/c it's not something people openly talk
about for some reason. And there are kids still being spanked for it,
so it's one of those forbidden subjects in some circles (
Marie
Old December 20th 07, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Zipadee

On Dec 20, 6:40 am, enigma wrote:
there are people who will tell you that putting a child in
pullups for part of the time when potty training "confuses"
the child. don't listen to them. it doesn't.
and it's not unusual for a daytime potty trained child to
continue to wet the bed for years, because there's an entirely
separate issue involved in night time urinary control, which
involves the body starting to make a particular hormone that
allows the kid to wake up when they have to pee. it is not
within the child's control when that happens.
just an FYI, because some kids night train at the same time,
but a good percentage of them don't.
lee

How true. My daughter was daytime trained at age 3 but
couldn't stay dry at night til around 6 and a half. On the
other hand my son trained day and night at the same
time (age 3). And neither of them ever got up at night
to go to the bathroom though I know many kids do.

Actually it seems that your child will be ready to
toilet train immediately after you buy a large load
of diapers on sale!

-- Zip
Old December 20th 07, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28 pm, Nan wrote:
ps. You still didn't answer my question as to whether or not you
receive payment for click-throughs on your "blog".

I have put google adsense advertisers into my blog that are relevant
to my subject. Read up on google adsense, type a search and figure it
out for yourself. Thats the best answer I will give you.

Why can't you just say "YES I GET PAID FOR CLICK-THOUGHS" ??
Oh wait.... BECAUSE THEN YOU'D HAVE TO ADMIT TO SPAMMING.

You've been politely asked to stop. You refuse.
You've gotten the suggestion to put your spam in your sig. You
refuse, and lie that you're not spamming.

Nan

I'm not spamming my blog. I've not posted it on here any more.

As of yesterday you were still defending yourself and claiming it was
not spam.

If you're not going to post it here any longer, then thank you.

Nan- Hide quoted text -

I wasn't spamming my blog. I found this group that was relavant to my
blog... and thought some might want to read my blog. Not once did I
ask people to click on anything. I though some might find my weaning
story interesting and might want to try the same way I did. Offering
information is not spamming. I posted my blog for people to read the
BLOG nothing more nothing less
Old December 20th 07, 07:13 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

Actually it seems that your child will be ready to
toilet train immediately after you buy a large load
of diapers on sale!

-- Zip

LOL. I always buy in bulk. And it will be my luck that, that will
happen to me as well
Old December 20th 07, 07:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28 pm, Nan wrote:
[...]

/smacks forehead
You're very dishonest.

Nan

Old December 20th 07, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids
mommak

wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:28 pm, Nan wrote:
[...]

ok bye

potty training advice please Karen \(LG\) Pregnancy 5 October 17th 07 10:07 PM
Potty training advice sought for twin boys Larry General 8 November 18th 06 03:34 PM
Potty training Jennifer Massey-Howe General 5 May 11th 06 04:45 PM
Potty Training Advice Cherie General 16 February 9th 05 12:05 AM
HELP!!! Desperate Mom needs potty training advice melissa General 15 October 31st 04 01:24 PM