9 yr old hitting himself for fun

Old August 25th 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids
G.Mack

Default 9 yr old hitting himself for fun

I'll rely on my observations as a Cub Scout coleader, and this sure sounds
exactly like a nine year old boy to me. In fact, since I only have one child,
one great benefit of the Cub Scouts to *me*, was that I found that all that
nutso bam bam silly slam slam fall about giggle punch kick stuff *my* kid does -
they ALL do. Good thing else maybe *I'd* have been the one hauling my kid to a
shrink.

So you see kids punching themselves in the face or other kids in the
face? The later is normal. I don't remember seeing the former. Do
you?

Old August 25th 06, 01:35 AM posted to misc.kids
G.Mack

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this. Is the kid play hitting himself or
actually hitting himself? If he's play hitting himself, why the hell
the the original poster ever post this message?

Old August 25th 06, 01:50 AM posted to misc.kids
Jen

"soonerj" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff wrote:
"soonerj" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 9 year old step-son has just started hitting/punching himself on the
face and head, complete with fighting sounds. WHen asked why he did it
he said he likes to. I've told him to stop but I'm still catching him
doing it. Any ideas?

Is he watching too much TV?

He's only allowed 1 hour of tv per day; no cartoons. Usually Animal
Planet or Discovery.

I heard a comedienne say once that so much violence in kids is because they
don't get to see enough violence on TV to be able to get it out of their
system, if they saw it more they wouldn't have to try it out in real life

Seriously though, my 10 year old daughter does weird things like that at
times, we just take it matter of fact and tell her she's weird, and she
doesn't do them all the time.

I think TV has become a scapegoat for everything.

Jen

Old August 25th 06, 01:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article .com, G.Mack
says...

I'll rely on my observations as a Cub Scout coleader, and this sure sounds
exactly like a nine year old boy to me. In fact, since I only have one child,
one great benefit of the Cub Scouts to *me*, was that I found that all that
nutso bam bam silly slam slam fall about giggle punch kick stuff *my* kid does -
they ALL do. Good thing else maybe *I'd* have been the one hauling my kid to a
shrink.

So you see kids punching themselves in the face or other kids in the
face? The later is normal. I don't remember seeing the former. Do
you?

Um, yes. That's what I'm saying. They do silly stuff like that.

Banty

Old August 25th 06, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On 24 Aug 2006 17:59:08 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article .com, G.Mack
says...

I'll rely on my observations as a Cub Scout coleader, and this sure sounds
exactly like a nine year old boy to me. In fact, since I only have one child,
one great benefit of the Cub Scouts to *me*, was that I found that all that
nutso bam bam silly slam slam fall about giggle punch kick stuff *my* kid does -
they ALL do. Good thing else maybe *I'd* have been the one hauling my kid to a
shrink.

So you see kids punching themselves in the face or other kids in the
face? The later is normal. I don't remember seeing the former. Do
you?

Um, yes. That's what I'm saying. They do silly stuff like that.

Banty

Yep. My ds did it, and my 6 yo does it when she's feeling silly.

Nan
Old August 25th 06, 02:02 PM posted to misc.kids
user

On 24 Aug 2006 13:43:54 -0700, G.Mack wrote:

user wrote:
On 24 Aug 2006 11:13:30 -0700, G.Mack wrote:
He's doing this to get your attention; possible to say he's not happy
about something. As a male, I can tell you this is not normal
behavior. Is he very intraverted?

Or, he's doing it because he's a young boy, and young boys often
do things that are patently stupid or silly.

Must *everything* that some sort of deep social or emotional
significance?

Nope, but if you think back to when you were 9(4th grade), can you
remember any friends punching themselves in the face? I can't. We did
a lot of silly, stupid, and dangerous stuff, but no one ever goes
around punching themselves in the face. My 1 year old did that for a
while, but if I see a 9 year old do that, I'll assume he's mentally ill
and woudn't let my 10 year old play with him.

You haven't actually been around a lot of nine-year old boys, have you?

They do this sort of thing all the time. They run into walls at
high speed and fall over. They steer their bikes into trees. They whack
themselves with any convenient object, much to the delight of their
friends - who are probably doing much the same at the moment.

And then eventually they discover girls, and stop. :-)

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
http://www.mulveyfamily.com/kids

Old August 25th 06, 02:05 PM posted to misc.kids
user

On 24 Aug 2006 17:35:28 -0700, G.Mack wrote:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this. Is the kid play hitting himself or
actually hitting himself? If he's play hitting himself, why the hell
the the original poster ever post this message?

This is misc.kids. You get everything from people posting about something
cute their kids said, to postings like "My daughter just fell off her bike,
and bits of grey matter are oozing out of her ear. Do you think I should take
her to a doctor?" And if you think that's much of an exaggeration, you haven't
been here for long. ;-)

- Rich

Old August 25th 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids
soonerj

G.Mack wrote:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this. Is the kid play hitting himself or
actually hitting himself? If he's play hitting himself, why the hell
the the original poster ever post this message?

I posted this because several people who have seen my step-son do this
have mentioned it to me. Since this is my first experience raising a
child I felt it was better to get an idea of whether this is normal or
not rather than ignore it totally.

Old August 25th 06, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids
soonerj

You haven't actually been around a lot of nine-year old boys, have you?

They do this sort of thing all the time. They run into walls at
high speed and fall over. They steer their bikes into trees. They whack
themselves with any convenient object, much to the delight of their
friends - who are probably doing much the same at the moment.

And then eventually they discover girls, and stop. :-)

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
http://www.mulveyfamily.com/kids

Rich,

You're right, I haven't been around a lot of 9 year old boys. I
just wanted to be sure it was a sign of...something (I may be a bit
paranoid since him natural mother has been in a mental institution on
and off for years). Thanks for the reality check!

Old August 25th 06, 02:47 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article . com, soonerj
says...

[...]

You're welcome. And, try to avoid putting this boy under extra scrutiny because
of his mother's medical history. I myself have a mother with a psychiatric
history, and one of the unfortunate effects of this is the cloud of scrutiny
that children are put under, while their classmates and playmates don't have
every 'off' comment or childish escapade taken as possible evidence of emerging
psychiatric problems.

You might also try posting to alt.support.step-parents. It's an excellent
newsgroup. They're really good at keeping things in perspective.

Cheers,
Banty