Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old June 7th 04, 06:39 AM
Holger Dansk

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 17:28:30 -0500, toto wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:18:55 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

Some things I just know, and don't have the remotest idea
when I learned them and from whom or what.

And, of course, you have no idea whether or not they are
really true or even whether or not they can be reasonably
deduced in a valid manner.

I know that they are true and rational. You mean you don't know
anything and have to look up everything?

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm
Old June 7th 04, 06:49 AM
Holger Dansk

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:25:57 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
I do. Regularly. And I read the results, and I comprehend what I
read. Unlike you, or you'd be able to post evidence.

I'm not going to go to the web and find evidence for everything I say on
here or in my life off the newsgroups. That would be ridiculous and
silly.

Instead, YOU look ridiculous and silly, when we do the research and
show yet again that you are full of ****.

If you want to find something about anything I say you will just
have to go look it up yourself. I never heard of such a thing. Running
and looking up everything someone says.

When someone has as little credibility as you, and makes statements
which I know to be false, I identify them.

So you know things without looking them up, but I don't know anything
and have to look everything up. Very
innnnnnnnnnteressssssssstinnnnnnnnngggggggg. :-)

If I am not sure, I'll look it up rather than look like the fool you are.

Calling me names and denial, denial, denial will not solve your
problems. It's easy to see why Bill Cosby is disgusted because after
several generations many blacks have not learned how to pronounce
"police" and "President", etc., whereas Hispanics and Asians learn in
just a few seconds.

Some things I just know, and don't have the remotest idea when I learned
them and from whom or what.

And as we've shown, most of what you "know" is folk myth or absolute
falsehood.

I'm not always right, but most of the time I am. You don't have to
always be right, just most of the time, and can get along very well.

If you are worried about something, then look it up. However, let me
warn you. Just because you find something on the web does not mean that
it's true. Writing something down doesn't make it true. You must pick
reliable sources.

lojbab

Old June 7th 04, 03:30 PM
Bob LeChevalier

wrote:

Some things I just know, and don't have the remotest idea
when I learned them and from whom or what.

And, of course, you have no idea whether or not they are
really true or even whether or not they can be reasonably
deduced in a valid manner.

I know that they are true and rational. You mean you don't know
anything and have to look up everything?

Like most intelligent people, she values her credibility and supports
her claims with references.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
Old June 7th 04, 05:35 PM
Circe

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:22:53 -0700, "Circe"
wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:01:16 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:
The fact that people in parts of Africa own slaves
or commit atrocities is equally irrelevant--the civilizations
you admire having created things of "importance" (Greeks,
Romans, et al.) did the same things. Nor are these behaviors
limited to sub-Saharan Africa in modern times.

Well, now, we are talking about today, not thousands of years
ago, etc.

What other countries have slaves today. I'm sure there may be a
few if you look real hard.

Today, black people have black slaves in Mauritania, southwest of
Algeria.

I knew there would be another savage place that had slavery.

De factor slavery still exists in the US. This particular acticle
from February of this year discusses slavery/human bondage in
Florida:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/02/...rafficking.ap/. Of
course, it's not legal, but I'm not sure it's legal in Mauritania,
either.

That's silly. We're not talking about prostitution to pay off
debts, etc.

Oh, so it's okay to sell people into slavery if they owe you money? Gotcha.

They have the real thing in Mauritania and have had it
for thousands of years in Sudan. Lots of children slaves.

So what? "High" cultures the world over (and particularly in Europe) had
slavery (and children slaves) for thousands of years. One of the reasons
that the wealthy in the Greek and Roman culture (who produced most of the
art and literature that we admire today) *were* wealthy was because they
relied on slave labor to produce surplus goods and earn their money for
them. Wow, what a wonderful achievement, eh?

So, is Florida a "savage" place, too?

I'm sure they have doo doo too.

But, that's about all the savages in Africa have produced for
thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

Nonsense. From http://www.worldbank.org/afr/finding...sh/find11.htm:
"Africa's rich and varied cultural heritage finds expression in a wide
variety of arts and crafts. Cultural property is preserved in
paleontological, archaeological, historical, and sacred sites, as well as in
museums, residences, and the daily life of the people. African archaeology
traces the history of human evolution from its very beginning, recording
such significant cultural achievements as the development and use of tools,
the independent invention of agriculture, long distance trade, fine arts as
illustrated by early rock paintings, metalworking, and urban settlements.
Contemporary architecture, paintings, sculptures, textiles, and other
cultural artifacts draw on a rich variety of traditions, many of which are
still an integral part of daily life.

Many thousands of cultural sites have been identified in Africa, often
clustered along coastal areas, river basins, or major transportation axes.
Many others may exist unknown to the outside world. Archaeological studies
conducted as part of project environmental assessments can provide valuable
information concerning the nature and distribution of human activity in the
area in ancient times. Such surveys have been conducted, for example, in the
Volta Basin, in the area to be flooded by the Kafue Dam in Zambia, as part
of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, and for the Tuli Block Roads Project
in Botswana.

The UNESCO World Heritage Convention has been ratified by 28 African
countries, listed in the handbook. Under the convention, international
assistance can be secured by governments to facilitate the protection of
sites that have been registered as World Heritage Sites. Currently listed
World Cultural Heritage sites in Africa include the royal palaces of Abomey,
Benin; the rock churches of Ethiopia; Ashante traditional buildings in
Ghana; the ancient towns of Djenne and Timbuktu and the cliff of Mandiagara
in Mali; the island of Mozambique, Mozambique; Goree Island in Senegal; the
ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara, Tanzania; and Great Zimbabwe and
Khami Ruins National Monuments in Zimbabwe."
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 7th 04, 07:10 PM
Holger Dansk

wrote:
[...]

Well, we are talking about now. (today) Who else still has slavery
other than the blacks in Sudan and Mauritania?

One of the reasons that the wealthy in the Greek and Roman culture (who produced most of the
art and literature that we admire today) *were* wealthy was because they
relied on slave labor to produce surplus goods and earn their money for
them.

The Greeks had a great civilization. Much greater than the Romans.
They gave us many, many things. Not just some art and some literature.
The art and literature was of minor importance compared with their other
contributions.

Of course, there was philosophy, and:

"The Golden Age of Greek science came in the Hellenistic period, with
the greatest advances in mathematics. The geometry theories published by
Euclid about 300 bc still endure. Archimedes (287-212 bc) calculated the
value of pi (the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter)
and invented fluid mechanics. Aristarchus, early in the 3rd century bc,
argued that the earth revolved around the sun, while Eratosthenes
accurately calculated the circumference of the earth. Also in the 3rd
century bc, Ctesibius invented machines operated by air and water
pressure; Hero later built a rotating sphere powered by steam. These
inventions did not lead to practical uses because the technology did not
yet exist to produce the pipes, fittings, and screws needed to build
powerful machines. Military technology vaulted ahead with the invention
of huge catapults and wheeled towers to batter down city walls. Finally,
medical scientists made many discoveries, such as the significance of
the pulse and the nervous system."

There was architecture.

"The importance of Greek art and architecture for the history of Western
civilization can hardly be overstated, for the Greeks established many
of the most enduring themes, attitudes, and forms of Western culture.

Wow, what a wonderful achievement, eh?

So, is Florida a "savage" place, too?

I'm sure they have doo doo too.

But, that's about all the savages in Africa have produced for
thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of years.

Nonsense. From http://www.worldbank.org/afr/finding...sh/find11.htm:
"Africa's rich and varied cultural heritage finds expression in a wide
variety of arts and crafts. Cultural property is preserved in
paleontological, archaeological, historical, and sacred sites, as well as in
museums, residences, and the daily life of the people. African archaeology
traces the history of human evolution from its very beginning, recording
such significant cultural achievements as the development and use of tools,
the independent invention of agriculture,

Invented agriculture? Heheheheheheheheheh. Really????????? Did they
put a fish in the hole with corn seeds to make it grow better like the
American aborigines?

long distance trade,

How long a distance? About as far as you could hear their drums?

fine arts as illustrated by early rock paintings,

Were these those paintings inside of caves?

metalworking, and urban settlements.

I don't think they even knew what metal was.

Contemporary architecture,

Was that the mud and straw huts?

Let's not bull **** with a lot of meaningless rhetoric. Be specific.

Many thousands of cultural sites have been identified in Africa, often
clustered along coastal areas, river basins, or major transportation axes.

Any place that they had a tribal village was a cultural site.

Many others may exist unknown to the outside world. Archaeological studies
conducted as part of project environmental assessments can provide valuable
information concerning the nature and distribution of human activity in the
area in ancient times.

Tell me what marvels were discovered in these digs.

Such surveys have been conducted, for example, in the
Volta Basin, in the area to be flooded by the Kafue Dam in Zambia, as part
of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, and for the Tuli Block Roads Project
in Botswana.

What in the world does a study have to do with what these savages did
other than run around naked raping and pillaging and hunting wildebeest?

The UNESCO World Heritage Convention has been ratified by 28 African
countries, listed in the handbook. Under the convention, international
assistance can be secured by governments to facilitate the protection of
sites that have been registered as World Heritage Sites. Currently listed
World Cultural Heritage sites in Africa include the royal palaces of Abomey,
Benin; the rock churches of Ethiopia; Ashante traditional buildings in
Ghana; the ancient towns of Djenne and Timbuktu and the cliff of Mandiagara
in Mali; the island of Mozambique, Mozambique; Goree Island in Senegal; the
ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara, Tanzania; and Great Zimbabwe and
Khami Ruins National Monuments in Zimbabwe."

I'm afraid that there, evidently, was not anything in these sites of any
interest to anyone. If there had been then people would know about
them. What issues of National Geographic were all of these sites in?

I know about the ugly fat wooden carvings of figures with big butts,
etc.

Old June 7th 04, 07:13 PM
Holger Dansk

wrote:

Some things I just know, and don't have the remotest idea
when I learned them and from whom or what.

And, of course, you have no idea whether or not they are
really true or even whether or not they can be reasonably
deduced in a valid manner.

I know that they are true and rational. You mean you don't know
anything and have to look up everything?

Like most intelligent people, she values her credibility and supports
her claims with references.

That's horrible. She has to show where someone else wrote it down for
people to believe her? How pitiful. Poor little girl/woman.

Old June 7th 04, 08:09 PM
Bob LeChevalier

wrote:
When someone has as little credibility as you, and makes statements
which I know to be false, I identify them.

So you know things without looking them up, but I don't know anything
and have to look everything up. Very
innnnnnnnnnteressssssssstinnnnnnnnngggggggg. :-)

I know things and I look them up anyway. I *learn* by doing so.

If I am not sure, I'll look it up rather than look like the fool you are.

Calling me names and denial, denial, denial will not solve your
problems.

Idiots like you ARE a problem. Not a particularly important one,
since you ARE idiots. But one best addressed on Usenet in the way I
do.

It's easy to see why Bill Cosby is disgusted because after
several generations many blacks have not learned how to pronounce
"police" and "President", etc.,

I await your evidence that Bill Cosby has any problem with how blacks
pronounce words.

whereas Hispanics and Asians learn in just a few seconds.

I await your evidence of this.

And as we've shown, most of what you "know" is folk myth or absolute
falsehood.

I'm not always right, but most of the time I am.

Your track record in this discussion has been abysmal. You haven't
gotten anything right yet, so far as I know.

You don't have to always be right, just most of the time, and can get along very well.

Studied mediocrity is probably the best you can aspire to, but you
have a lot of study needed to achieve it.

If you are worried about something, then look it up. However, let me
warn you. Just because you find something on the web does not mean that
it's true.

Correct. That is why I also evaluate the sources, and check them.

Writing something down doesn't make it true. You must pick
reliable sources.

When I use an unreliable source, I expect to be called on it.

lojbab
Old June 7th 04, 09:05 PM
Circe

wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
[...]

And that matters why, exactly?

Who else still has slavery
other than the blacks in Sudan and Mauritania?

People all over the world, hon. Legally or illegally, slavery exists on
every part of the globe. Deal with it.

One of the reasons that the wealthy in the Greek and Roman culture
(who produced most of the art and literature that we admire today)
*were* wealthy was because they
relied on slave labor to produce surplus goods and earn their
money for
them.

The Greeks had a great civilization. Much greater than the Romans.

So, you view Republican democracy--which the Romans invented and upon which
all modern systems of democracy are based--as not a particularly great
accomplishment?

There was architecture.

"The importance of Greek art and architecture for the history of
Western civilization can hardly be overstated, for the Greeks
established many of the most enduring themes, attitudes, and
forms of Western culture.

Pish-tosh. How many modern buildings do you see that look like Greek
temples? How many do you see that use domes? Now, who figured out the dome?
(Hint: not the Greeks.)

Nonsense. From
http://www.worldbank.org/afr/finding...sh/find11.htm:
"Africa's rich and varied cultural heritage finds expression in a
wide
variety of arts and crafts. Cultural property is preserved in
paleontological, archaeological, historical, and sacred sites, as
well as in
museums, residences, and the daily life of the people. African
archaeology
traces the history of human evolution from its very beginning,
recording
such significant cultural achievements as the development and use
of tools,
the independent invention of agriculture,

Invented agriculture? Heheheheheheheheheh. Really????????? Did
they put a fish in the hole with corn seeds to make it grow better like
the American aborigines?

Of course not, since they didn't *have* corn in Africa (or, indeed, anywhere
else in the so-called Old World). You've just demonstrated, yet again, your
ignorance.

The rest of your rant is similar nonsense, since it is not based on any fact
whatsoever but on your pitiful rantings and ravings. When you're willing to
support your claim that Africans never invented or did anything of value
with actual evidence of the facts, then maybe we'll sit up and take notice.
Until then, all *you've* managed to produce is, in your own words, doo doo.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old June 7th 04, 10:05 PM
Holger Dansk

wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
[...]

Well, some cultures have learned that slavery is not a good thing.

Who else still has slavery
other than the blacks in Sudan and Mauritania?

People all over the world, hon. Legally or illegally, slavery exists on
every part of the globe. Deal with it.

So, you don't know of any other countries and/or cultures.

One of the reasons that the wealthy in the Greek and Roman culture
(who produced most of the art and literature that we admire today)
*were* wealthy was because they
relied on slave labor to produce surplus goods and earn their
money for
them.

The Greeks had a great civilization. Much greater than the Romans.

So, you view Republican democracy--which the Romans invented and upon which
all modern systems of democracy are based--as not a particularly great
accomplishment?

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison studied Aristotle. Aristotle was
Greek. The Romans did not invent anything much. They were pretty good
engineers. The aqueducts were nice.

"Aristotle, who was a student of Greek philosopher Plato, praised reason
and moderation as practical guides to life. Known to medieval
intellectuals as simply “the Philosopher,” Aristotle is possibly the
greatest thinker in Western history and the single greatest influence on
Western intellectual development."
Microsoft® Encarta® Encyclopedia 2002. © 1993-2001 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

Jefferson also studied John Locke, an English philosopher who studied
Aristotle.

"James Madison, often called the father of the U.S. Constitution,
defined a republic in terms similar to those of Aristotle's polity. In
his view, republics were systems of government that permitted direct or
indirect control by the people over those who govern. He did, however,
warn against the effects of “majority factions” and emphasized the
rights of minorities.

The Madisonian concept of republicanism parallels Aristotle's vision of
polity in many important dimensions, and both are essentially different
from Plato's. Madison and Aristotle were concerned with the means by
which just and stable rule by the many could be secured. To this end
Aristotle relied on a predominant middle class, Madison on an “extended”
republic, in which varied interests would check and control one another.
Madison also emphasized election of representatives by the people. These
representatives, he believed, would be less likely to sacrifice the
“public good” than the majority of the people. “Pure democracies,” in
which the people ruled directly, Madison wrote, “have ever been
spectacles of turbulence and contention.”"

[...]

They had corn in America.

"Corn is generally regarded as the greatest agricultural contribution of
American Indians to the world's diet. It was the major food source for
many native groups throughout North and South America. Corn is descended
from teosinte, a wild grass that some eight thousand to fifteen thousand
years ago began to be modified by human selection. It was probably
domesticated in northern Mexico and introduced into the American
Southwest by about 4000 b.c. It was a relative latecomer in the Midwest,
appearing sometime around 200 b.c."

http://college.hmco.com/history/read...odandcuisi.htm

The rest of your rant is similar nonsense, since it is not based on any fact
whatsoever but on your pitiful rantings and ravings. When you're willing to
support your claim that Africans never invented or did anything of value
with actual evidence of the facts, then maybe we'll sit up and take notice.

If they produced something, please tell us what it was. We are
listening.

Old June 7th 04, 10:17 PM
toto

wrote:

Some things I just know, and don't have the remotest idea
when I learned them and from whom or what.

And, of course, you have no idea whether or not they are
really true or even whether or not they can be reasonably
deduced in a valid manner.

I know that they are true and rational. You mean you don't know
anything and have to look up everything?

No, I mean that I know where my ideas come from and how to tell
whether or not they are logically valid *and* I know what experiences
led me to my conclusions. If you don't, then you are flying blind or
you accept what authorities (most likely your parents and teachers)
told you on faith.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits