Dad's Visitation Responsibility

Old October 4th 07, 10:33 PM posted to alt.child-support
Lvnsurpriseaz

Default Dad's Visitation Responsibility

My sons father pays child support and I have 100% physical custody. Now, the
father refuses to pay for events that my son wants to participate in during
his visitation time. The father claims that is what his child support goes
towards. I tried explaining to the father that the child support is to help
support him during my 95% time share and that during his 5% time he is to pay
for expenses. Isn't that true????? or am I missing something here?

Dana

Old October 4th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

On Oct 4, 2:33 pm, "Lvnsurpriseaz" u37991@uwe wrote:
My sons father pays child support and I have 100% physical custody. Now, the
father refuses to pay for events that my son wants to participate in during
his visitation time. The father claims that is what his child support goes
towards. I tried explaining to the father that the child support is to help
support him during my 95% time share and that during his 5% time he is to pay
for expenses. Isn't that true????? or am I missing something here?

Dana

He actually may have a point. However, I'm in the same situation your
husband is in, and I would never take that stance, unless I was
totally broke. It just deprives the kid.

I just suck it up and pay for the stuff I sign my daughter up for and
the stuff that she needs when she's in my care. That why lots of NCPs
who share custody gripe about having to pay twice. It's hard, and not
really fair.

Shared custody, NO child support, and everybody's should be happy
(except for the those with a sense of entitlement).

Old October 4th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.child-support
Lvnsurpriseaz

Yes, child support is based on visitation time. If he had more visitation
time he would pay less in child support, because esentially he would need
more of the money for expenses for when he has him. Doesn't that make sense?

DB wrote:
So your idea is he pays when the child is with you and he pays when the
child is with him!

My sons father pays child support and I have 100% physical custody. Now,
the

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Dana

Old October 4th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Lvnsurpriseaz" u37991@uwe wrote in message news:7934879433388@uwe...
My sons father pays child support and I have 100% physical custody. Now,
the
father refuses to pay for events that my son wants to participate in
during
his visitation time. The father claims that is what his child support
goes
towards. I tried explaining to the father that the child support is to
help
support him during my 95% time share and that during his 5% time he is to
pay
for expenses. Isn't that true????? or am I missing something here?

CS awards are based on the CP having the children 100% of the time and do
not take into consideration expenses that "travel with the children". The
new parenting plans being adopted by some of the states allow for a
reduction of CS once a threshold of visitation is reached. The most common
threshold is 30+% visitation time. What that means is NCP's do not get a
break on CS paid until they care for the child at least 30% of the time.
And then the CS reduction is phased in so that even at 50% visitation the
NCP can still be forced to pay something.

If the dispute is over small amounts (like going to a movie) I think the
father is nit-picking. But if it is for transportation or any other larger
amounts the CP should pay it or send money along with the child to cover the
expenses.

Old October 5th 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.child-support
Lvnsurpriseaz

Bob,

I appreciate what you are saying. It is regarding baseball tournaments which
cost anywhere from $40 - $70. I feel that he should pay for the tournament
fee if he wants his son to play in a tournament on his weekend. The thing is
the father tries everyway possible to get out of paying for his
responsibilities during the time he has visitation time. The child is 16 yrs
old and believe me the childs food bill is almost more than his child support!
!!!!! LOL

Bob Whiteside wrote:
My sons father pays child support and I have 100% physical custody. Now,
the

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

Old October 5th 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"Lvnsurpriseaz" u37991@uwe wrote in

The child is 16 yrs old and believe me the childs food bill is almost more
than his child support!
!!!!! LOL

So the big question, how much money is the child support order for?

Old October 5th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Lvnsurpriseaz" u37991@uwe wrote in message news:7935511ed41be@uwe...
Bob,

I appreciate what you are saying. It is regarding baseball tournaments
which
cost anywhere from $40 - $70. I feel that he should pay for the
tournament
fee if he wants his son to play in a tournament on his weekend. The thing
is
the father tries everyway possible to get out of paying for his
responsibilities during the time he has visitation time. The child is 16
yrs
old and believe me the childs food bill is almost more than his child
support!
!!!!! LOL

Here's an NCP father's perspective - An extra $40-70 is a large amount. The
CP has the legal responsibility to make decisions for a minor child
regarding living arrangements, religious training, education, and medical
treatments. As long as you make these decisions unilaterally you should pay
for them. Even if the child's father approves of this activity that doesn't
mean he should pay for it. Baseball tournaments are dictated by where the
child lives and are an extracurricular activity related to education.

I had some similar experiences. My ex would send the children over and tell
me I needed to take them to soccer/basketball/baseball sign ups. I always
insisted she give me a check, or send a check with the children, to cover
the sign-up expenses.

The same happened with birthday parties. I'd pick up the children and she
would inform me I needed to take them to a friend's birthday party. That
meant I needed to buy the birthday present for them to take to the party.

I have always recommended to NCP's who come on this group to take a
hard-nosed stance and insist the CP pay for all these miscellaneous
expenses. The CP's complain the fathers won't pay for "extras" but the CS
awards are predicated on child rearing expenditures that include all child
related expenses so there are no extras. Well there are extras the NCP pays
but those extras are the visitation related expenses he voluntarily chooses
to make.