Safely into 2nd trimester?

Old October 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
Jill

Default Safely into 2nd trimester?

At what point do you feel like you are safely into your second trimester?
For example, I don't know how accurate a sonogram is in telling you "you are
8 weeks along today" etc, but if this makes sense I am wondering when you
can officially feel you are in your 2nd trimester?

If my doctor wants me to try to wait until 2nd trimester for certain
medications it's not like I want to jump into them the day I reach 13 weeks.
But more than that I was just wondering if certain developments take place
in 1st trimester and not counting date or days,. you are officially in the
2nd trimester after a developmental stage etc..this may be a silly question!

Old October 22nd 03, 03:12 PM
Carol Ann

: At what point do you feel like you are safely into your second trimester?
: For example, I don't know how accurate a sonogram is in telling you "you
are
: 8 weeks along today" etc, but if this makes sense I am wondering when you
: can officially feel you are in your 2nd trimester?

What do you mean by "officially feel"?

: If my doctor wants me to try to wait until 2nd trimester for certain
: medications it's not like I want to jump into them the day I reach 13
weeks.
: But more than that I was just wondering if certain developments take place
: in 1st trimester and not counting date or days,. you are officially in the
: 2nd trimester after a developmental stage etc..this may be a silly
question!

My recommendation is to ask your doctor.

How are things going for you, Jill? I haven't read much lately. Are your
panic attacks lessening? Mother still driving you batty?

I'm arguing with the father of the baby. It sucks!

~Carol Ann

Old October 22nd 03, 03:35 PM
Crystal Dreamer

I just had to reply when Jill wrote:
At what point do you feel like you are safely into your second
trimester? For example, I don't know how accurate a sonogram is in
telling you "you are 8 weeks along today" etc, but if this makes
sense I am wondering when you can officially feel you are in your 2nd
trimester?

If my doctor wants me to try to wait until 2nd trimester for certain
medications it's not like I want to jump into them the day I reach 13
weeks. But more than that I was just wondering if certain
developments take place in 1st trimester and not counting date or
days,. you are officially in the 2nd trimester after a developmental
stage etc..this may be a silly question!

I'm going to put my two cents in here, and probably won't even answer your
question. I apologize in advance if this may upset you, it's not my
intention. There is no safely in the second trimester. It's true that your
risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, etc decrease, and that often we are told
certain medications, hair dyes, etc are safe once you reach this milestone.
My opinion, and from my own personal experience, is that there is no such
thing as a safe time. If you're in doubt, please please don't do anything
that may harm your baby!

Since the death and then stillbirth of my daughter at 24 weeks, I am on a
crusade to raise awareness about pregnancy and infant loss. It's not a
pleasant subject, and yes, it is very uncomfortable to talk about. I just
don't want anybody to have to go through what I did!

Best wishes to you, and I hope that your doctor can give you more answers.

--
-Crystal Dreamer
http://www.livin-it-up.net

Old October 22nd 03, 08:29 PM
Ilse Witch

Jill wrote:
At what point do you feel like you are safely into your second trimester?
For example, I don't know how accurate a sonogram is in telling you "you are
8 weeks along today" etc, but if this makes sense I am wondering when you
can officially feel you are in your 2nd trimester?

Mathematically, a trimester is a third of your total pregancy period, so
that would be 14 weeks. However, some doctors take 12 weeks as a limit,
since that is when all of the baby's organs are present in a very
rudimentary state. Before that, they are still being build, so to speak,
after that, they only have to grow bigger and better.

So if you need medication and start in your second trimester, you can
start to build up between 12 and 14 weeks, but I'd always do that under
medical supervision.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (15m)

Old October 22nd 03, 09:41 PM
Erin

Usually they say week 14 (Fetal age 12 weeks, or 14 weeks since last
menstrual period) is the beginning of the second trimester. So if you have
a question about whether the sonogram dates are correct, you could always
wait another few weeks to be sure that the baby is out of that crucial,
early developmental stage before taking a medication your doctor recommended
for the second trimester.

As for Crystal Dreamer's comments ... I know what she means about how in
pregnancy in particular, and life in general, is that there is no such thing
as a 100 percent guarantee of safety. Fetal death rates drop dramatically
after week 12 or 14, but obviously deaths still occur at every stage, which
is scary to think about.

I read CD's posts about her daughter's stillbirth and was touched by
them -- She certainly has my sympathy for her loss. However, I think it's
really important to remember that many stillbirths are caused by genetic
problems, accidents, or fluke incidents in the womb that cannot be prevented
or even diagnosed easily after the fact. Even if every single woman
acted/behaved "perfectly" in pregnancy, we would still see fetal deaths and
defects because of the precarious nature of how life comes together. So
avoiding all meds and chemicals during pregnancy won't take away all the
risks that can cause a baby to die. In fact, it may not even take away the
*largest risks.* Add in the fact that many meds have not been specifically
shown to cause any damage after the first trimester (or even during), and
the decision to abstain completely from all meds is just not clearly the
best choice for all. We all have different bodies, babies, and physical
issues, and this doesn't appear to be an issue where there is a black and
white correct answer on what to do.

There is a tendency for women to blame themselves when they have a
miscarriage or still birth, but in the vast majority of cases this is an
unfair burden they place upon themselves (or on other women, if they
generalize their situation outward). Women have a right to try to find ways
to alleviate their own medical problems during pregnancy, and I feel
strongly that they shouldn't be considered bad, selfish, or otherwise
admonished for trying to find relatively safe methods for treating ailments
during pregnancy because there might be a very small risk to the baby.
Again, "relatively safe" may not be "completely safe," but since NOTHING in
life is completely safe, "relatively safe" is usually the best bet we can
make.

Best, Erin edd 10/27