Induction: When is it necessary?

Old February 18th 04, 08:49 PM
CD

Default Induction: When is it necessary?

Hello,

I just discovered this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading all of your posts.

I am 41 weeks and 2 days and am a first time Mom (due Feb 9). I really
would like to give birth with as little intervention as possible. However
they induce at 42 weeks at our OB/midwives office. I am afraid that
induction will cause much unnecessary intervention and might lead to a C
Section.

Do you have any similar stories? I am hoping to go into labor naturally
prior to 42 weeks but am concerned that I might not and then what do I do?
Should I do the induction? If so any recomendations on how to induce to try
and avoid pitocin-epidural-pitocin-C Section? They said they try the bubble
first and then if that doesn't work then they break water and then if that
doesn't work they do pitocin. Anybody had similar situation and what did
you do and how did it turn out?

Thanks,
Crystall

Old February 18th 04, 09:03 PM
Melissa Ann

I really do not think induction after 42 weeks in necessary. You will have
a slightly increased chance of still birth (goes from 2 in 1000 to 3 in 1000
after 42 weeks, which could actually be caused by interventions more than
post term status). The baby will be bigger, but that is really a non issue.
If you do allow an induction, do let them break your water. It is
dangerous. It can cause a cord prolapse and will set the clock on how long
you have to deliver before being sent to the OR. Care providers will let
you go anywhere from 12 to 48 hours after your water is broken to deliver
the baby before they perform a c-section. Also, breaking your water leaves
you and baby at great risk for an infection. It is dangerous and should not
be done.

This website might interest you:
http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

Sending you gentle labor vibes ~ - ~ - ~ - ~
-Melissa Ann

Old February 18th 04, 09:21 PM
HollyLewis

However
they induce at 42 weeks at our OB/midwives office.

Only if you let them. :-)

I can't help a whole lot with your other questions -- I managed to go into
labor (41w2d) before anyone suggested an induction to me -- but you're right to
be wary of an induction for no better reason than postdates. You may want to
read the Henci Goerr book, _A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth_, which
gives a lot of information about the respective risks of various forms of
induction vs. doing nothing, and has some information on low risk, "self help"
methods of getting labor started (e.g., nipple stimulation).

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old February 18th 04, 09:30 PM
Welches

CD wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Round here (UK) you can request you go over (up to 4 weeks) but they insist
(as much as they can) that you come in daily after ~42 weeks to check the
placenta is still functioning properly.
Debbie

Old February 18th 04, 09:57 PM
Ericka Kammerer

CD wrote:

[...]

Do you have Henci Goer's book, _The Thinking Woman's
Guide to a Better Birth_? She has a whole chapter on inductions/
post dates that I think would be very helpful to you. Basically,
there's no easy answer and what you'll want to do can be a
very personal decision. She also gives lots of strategies
for dealing with an induction if you choose that course at
42 weeks.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 18th 04, 11:19 PM
Larry McMahan

CD writes:
[...]

my wife gave birth naturally at 42 weeks 3 days, and at 42 weeks 6 days.
Both of these would have been inductions under the rules you state.

There is some actual danger of going over too long. The two most likely
ones are placental calcification, which reduces nutrients to the baby,
and reduction in amniotic fluid which make birth more difficult. Both
these can be monitored by u/s. They will also try to tell you that
there is danger caused by a larger baby, but if your birth in a good
position (not lying on your back or semisitting) this is mostly a load
of crap.

What I would suggest that your counter their induction at 42 weeks with
an offer to do twice weekly ultrasounds until the baby delivers. If
any problems are noted on the ultrasound, then you can do the induction.

Good luck,
Larry
Old February 19th 04, 12:22 AM
Anne Marie

I don't have any advice for you, since i am prego with my first baby but
i still wanted to say hello and congrats :-D
I hope everything works out for you and let us know about babies birth
when you have her or him!

Take care,

AnneMarie
#1 Xandria Marie EDD 06-05-04

Old February 19th 04, 01:26 AM
Kat

"CD" wrote in message
[...]

I just gave birth to my DS at 41 weeks 2 days. I was getting ready to start
doing some home remedy stuff, under the advice/supervision of my doula. I
was probably going to try Black or Blue Cohosh tea. But I would highly
recommend that you talk to someone about doing any home remedy stuff before
you actually do it. I was induced with my DD when my water had broken
pre-labor and since I had a doula there I was able to deal with it better.
Although in hind-sight I wish I had not gotten induced and I had stayed home
longer. Anyway, I wish you good luck!!
Kat
Mama to maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04