Post Partum Activity

Old November 19th 04, 07:24 PM
Leslie

Default Post Partum Activity

Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one, I have
always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving birth. So what I
am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way of activity at this point (9
days pp)? Am I still supposed to be resting a lot? Should I be thinking about
getting up at the normal times and doing all the things I usually do (or used
to do, months ago)?

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
Lorelei (11/10/04 -- another VBAC)

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old November 19th 04, 08:01 PM
Larry McMahan

Leslie writes:
: Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one, I have
: always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving birth. So what I
: am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way of activity at this point (9
: days pp)? Am I still supposed to be resting a lot? Should I be thinking about
: getting up at the normal times and doing all the things I usually do (or used
: to do, months ago)?

Hmmm. Let' see. Three days after giving birth to Clara, Monika came to our
soccer practice, when she was 3 days old, and was also caring for my dying mother,
which meant turning her in bed several times daily (I was home the first couple
days after Clara was born.

After Niel's birth, we went out to lunch at a restaurant the next day (gasp!).

I would suggest resuming your normal routines, but take it easy on lifting
heavy objects and try to get an extra hour or hour and a half nap each day.
Don't forget to drink plenty of water, too. I wouldn't start running or
swimming for a while.

Larry
Old November 19th 04, 08:02 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Leslie wrote:

Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one, I have
always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving birth. So what I
am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way of activity at this point (9
days pp)? Am I still supposed to be resting a lot? Should I be thinking about
getting up at the normal times and doing all the things I usually do (or used
to do, months ago)?

Your lochia will give you an idea. If it gets worse, you've
probably overdone it. My midwives recommended that in the first few
days I only do as many flights of stairs as days postpartum (e.g.,
1 flight of stairs the first day, 2 flights the second day, etc.).
I think that was a bit conservative, but it's a good way to keep a
lid on things. By nine days I was pretty much doing whatever I
felt like doing. I certainly wasn't trying to rest up a lot, but
of course I wasn't up to full speed either. I just did whatever
I felt comfortable doing. I would start doing things, but be
prepared to cut back if you find it's too much. Be kind to
yourself.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 19th 04, 08:26 PM
firedancer623

"Leslie" wrote in message
Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one, I
have
always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving birth. So
what I
am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way of activity at this
point (9
days pp)? Am I still supposed to be resting a lot? Should I be thinking
about
getting up at the normal times and doing all the things I usually do (or
used
to do, months ago)?

If you feel fine, you can probably do whatever you'd like. I left the house
and went shopping at 5 days pp with my 1st. Took our 2nd one out 4 days pp
to breakfast at Ihop with my parents and made a few stops to show him off to
friends. I felt *great* after him. I actually felt the worst with #3 but I
think that was partly due to the older 2!

If your bleeding gets worse, slow down. It happened to me each time because
I was always overdoing it. I felt fine physically but apparently my body
was telling me otherwise.

Kari

Old November 20th 04, 12:09 AM
Kaybee

If all is going well for you I would say go ahead and do your normal routine
but please take it easy.

Hugz
Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old November 20th 04, 12:16 AM
Cathy

Leslie wrote:
Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one,
I have always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving
birth. So what I am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way
of activity at this point (9 days pp)? Am I still supposed to be
resting a lot? Should I be thinking about getting up at the normal
times and doing all the things I usually do (or used to do, months
ago)?

I would listen to your body. I spent 5 days in hospital for a routine
vaginal birth (baby wouldn't latch, hence time spent), and by the time I got
out, I was feeling great. I started walking almost immediately, but quickly
realised that my body was more tired than I thought, so only went for 10
mins at a time. And I got out of the house almost every day (but it was my
first, and it was so easy to pack my bag, grab the baby and go). I'm sure
you'll know if you're overdoing it.

Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old November 20th 04, 05:43 AM
A&G&K&H

"Leslie" wrote in message
Never having had an exactly normal birth experience before this one, I

have
always been more or less an invalid for a month after giving birth. So

what I
am wondering is, what should I be doing in the way of activity at this

point (9
days pp)? Am I still supposed to be resting a lot? Should I be thinking

about
getting up at the normal times and doing all the things I usually do (or

used
to do, months ago)?

Start back sing your normal activities but if you feel tired - rest! I know
that going for short walks a few times a day helped my tear to heal and the
bruising to feel better.
The other thing you might like to think about doing is some kegels ... but
the word on those is to go slowly and gently for the first few weeks.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old November 20th 04, 06:24 AM
Kelly

Do what feels right. Your body will let you know if it's too much.
Sometimes it is easier to get out of the house with just the baby-not the
siblings in tow (if you have someone at home to be with the other kidlets)
I found it not particularily hard to go to the store or other errands with a
baby, but add a sibling or two and it was a much larger production.

warmly,
Kelly

Old November 20th 04, 08:34 PM
Mum of Two

If you want to go for a leisurely walk, or take Lorelei out to lunch with
friends, do it :-)
If there's a big pile of laundry to be done, or the floors need scrubbing,
tell DH that your Dr. recommended you take it easy for at least the next 8
weeks ;-)
I think it's about doing what you feel up to....

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 25th 04, 04:41 AM
Leslie

My midwives recommended that in the first few
days I only do as many flights of stairs as days postpartum (e.g.,
1 flight of stairs the first day, 2 flights the second day, etc.).
I think that was a bit conservative, but it's a good way to keep a
lid on things.

I'd be in big trouble if I tried to follow that rule, unless I was expecting to
be waited on hand and foot. :-)

By nine days I was pretty much doing whatever I
felt like doing. I certainly wasn't trying to rest up a lot, but
of course I wasn't up to full speed either. I just did whatever
I felt comfortable doing. I would start doing things, but be
prepared to cut back if you find it's too much. Be kind to
yourself.

I can't get over how good I feel! I have no pain/soreness whatsoever and I
know I couldn't sit down comfortably for a month after William. I don't have
any ppd (which I had after all three sections but not last time). At worst,
I'm a little tired and of course overwhelmed by a new baby to care for, but I
know that will get easier. And best of all, my anxiety/depression/inability to
do anything that I suffered during pregnancy is magically gone.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
Lorelei (11/10/04 -- another VBAC)

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Swimming post partum? Jody Pellerin Pregnancy 2 July 17th 04 07:08 PM
alt.parenting.spanking FAQ Chris Spanking 2 March 18th 04 04:12 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
Money, Honey RRob888372 Single Parents 0 November 22nd 03 04:45 PM