My 12 year kid had lot of cough, lot of mucus coming out, what was the reason?

Old June 4th 05, 03:46 PM

Default My 12 year kid had lot of cough, lot of mucus coming out, what was the reason?

My 12 year kid had lot of cough, lot of mucus coming out, what was the
reason?. Why this mucus comes out a lot, Is this is coming out because
of food, or something else. Thanks.

Old June 4th 05, 03:49 PM
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 12 year kid had lot of cough, lot of mucus coming out, what was the
reason?. Why this mucus comes out a lot, Is this is coming out because
of food, or something else. Thanks.

A lot of mucus coming out of where? His nose? Is he coughing it up?

What other symptoms? Weight loss? vomiting? Diarrhea? Sneezing? Runny eyes?
Wheezing? Does he have a fever? When does he have problems? During the
day? At night? At home? At school? At soccer?

He might have a cold. My guess is that he has allergies. He might also have
problem with asthma.

If the problems are ongoing, he should see a doctor.

Jeff

Old June 4th 05, 04:02 PM
Sue

It might be allergies. As a sufferer of allergies since I was a kid (nothing
was done about it then), get your son to an allergist to see if he is
allergic to anything. Allergy medicine has come a long way and no one should
suffer like I did with allergies.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old June 4th 05, 04:05 PM
Jeff

"Sue" wrote in message
It might be allergies. As a sufferer of allergies since I was a kid
(nothing
was done about it then), get your son to an allergist to see if he is
allergic to anything. Allergy medicine has come a long way and no one
should
suffer like I did with allergies.

Actually, I would recommend starting at your regular pediatrician's office.
It might not have anything to do with allergies. And, your regular
pediatrician should be skilled in taking care of allergies. If necessary,
you can get a referral.

Jeff

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old June 4th 05, 05:23 PM

Jeff,

Actually mucus comes out of mouth, first she gets cough and then she
gets some mucus, we took her to Doctor, he gave allergy medicine, he
was asking us, does anybody in my family have any asthma, actually we
don't have at all.

I am wondering why this mucus comes a lot, thanks.

Old June 4th 05, 05:32 PM
Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jeff,

Actually mucus comes out of mouth, first she gets cough and then she
gets some mucus, we took her to Doctor, he gave allergy medicine, he
was asking us, does anybody in my family have any asthma, actually we
don't have at all.

I am wondering why this mucus comes a lot, thanks.

It is probably mucus coming from her nose or draining from her sinuses.

Jeff

Old June 4th 05, 05:53 PM

We are little scared, this may be because of asthma or something
related.

Thanks,

Old June 4th 05, 10:12 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

may be an infection that needs separate treatment. Or you may need a
different, or more, allergy medication. Or there may be a different
underlying cause.

Asthma doesn't cause mucous. Allergies can, infections can, and so can
some chronic diseases.

When you see your doctor, get very specific instructions as to when to
take the allergy medication, and you should return in 10 days (the
DOCTOR should be the one telling you this, by the way) for a followup
visit unless the cough goes away completely and permanently.

You may need a referral to an allergist or an ENT.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 5th 05, 03:16 PM
Sue

"Jeff" wrote in message
Actually, I would recommend starting at your regular pediatrician's

office.
It might not have anything to do with allergies. And, your regular
pediatrician should be skilled in taking care of allergies. If necessary,
you can get a referral.

True, it could be an infection or virus. I have found in the past that
regular pediatrian is not capable of handling allergy testing, medication
and treatment unless they have specialized in that area. I find that most
doctors just put you on medication without actually testing for the kinds of
allergies. For me, I prefer my allergist.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)