Opinions.....is this rude?

Old August 13th 04, 04:26 PM
Christine

Default Opinions.....is this rude?

I think that is fine as long as you don't lay a guilt
trip on him about it.

Guilt trip?
why would I do that, when I feel it IS best to stay home....DH and I
dont play games......

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 13th 04, 04:29 PM
Christine

Your stepdaughters may appreciate having
some time with just their father

Bingo.

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 13th 04, 05:33 PM
Nikki

Christine wrote:
I think that is fine as long as you don't lay a guilt
trip on him about it.

Guilt trip?
why would I do that, when I feel it IS best to stay home....DH and I
dont play games......

I just got that impression from the over all tone of your post that you felt
he should delay or cancel the vacation since you didn't feel it was
appropriate for Chloe. Apparently that isn't the case so ignore that part
:-)

--
Nikki

Old August 13th 04, 08:20 PM
Beach mum

We went to Canada with E when she was 7 weeks old and (like the bad parents
that we are) let virtually everyone hold her. At that point, she'd had no
shots at all. OTOH, I did insist on hand washing before holding but every
relative in existance and several family friends held her. She's fine.

If you were going somewhere with strange diseases, I'd worry. Canada is
really safe.

(BTW, we actually went through Toronto airport while the city was having its
SARS scare. However, the airport was safe so we weren't worried.)

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Christine" wrote in message
Ok, DH wants to plan a small vacation with his 2 daughters,,,7 and
14,,,,,

he wants to take them to a huge ( FUN ) water park in Erie, then to
Canada....to see the falls,
and to the beach...etc.
from what I understand you should'nt take a baby out of the country till
they have x amount of shots....
and she cant go on the beach....she is very fair, complected, and might
burn OR be cold on the beach if its chilly ( and IT IS! ) and my main
concern is ''sand in her eyes'' she doesnt even sit up by
herself yet..shes 12 weeks....

DH thinks I should just go and sit in the hotel while him and his kids
have a ball...

Is it selfish of me to expect him to wait till next year, for a
vacation? because I told him she would probably be able to do a beach at
age one,

but he wants to take his kids,,,,,,,
they BOTH had been on a NICE vacation already with their moms....as a
matter of fact, the 7 year old is at the beach as we speak!
PLUS we went to a nice resort a few weeks ago,,,it was all indoors,,,I
walked around with chloe while they had fun!

BUT this place,,( the water park ) you cant take a stroller in, and she
is too little to sit in the water, so we would have to stay in the hotel
room,,,

I would MUCH rather spend my time with chloe than leave her with a
sitter...that is OUT!
DH would never expect me to get a sitter either...if it was just him and
I...then I would have my mom keep her BUT i wont leave Chloe behind to
go on a ''family'' vacation!

But I just want to stay home if he wants to go that bad......

so, is it rude of ME to stay here with Chloe?

and is it rude of HIM to still go knowing chloe is too small yet?

I think the final desicion is that I am going to stay home with
Chloe...but i was just wondering what you all thought?

tia.......

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 13th 04, 08:23 PM
Beach mum

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote
Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

We've got another one coming up in November. It will be our first with
the baby. Woohoo! It will be so weird! I'm not sure what I'll be able
to bring for the baby to sleep in. Yes, that's my worry, believe it or
not. I think everything else will be pretty easy to deal with (unless
there is illness or something).

What's wrong with asking the hotel for a crib?
I've never encountered one that didn't provide them on
request.

However, some of them are simply pack-n-plays that were last cleaned when we
were kids. When E was really little, she once slept on a sofa since she
always slept with her head jammed into the side of the bassinet. When she
was six months old, we put her in the middle of the king-sized pull-out sofa
since we didn't think she'd roll that much (we put pillows on the floor, but
it was fine). She's also slept on a small pile of blankets surrounded by
pillows on the floor. We've travelled waaaay too much with her and have
found that some hotels have cribs that you just wouldn't want to use...but
you can alwasy improvise.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old August 14th 04, 12:30 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

We've got another one coming up in November. It will be our first
with the baby. Woohoo! It will be so weird! I'm not sure what I'll
be able to bring for the baby to sleep in. Yes, that's my worry,
believe it or not. I think everything else will be pretty easy to
deal with (unless there is illness or something).

What's wrong with asking the hotel for a crib?

Well, this has already been suggested, which has helped, but to answer
your question: there is nothing wrong with asking the hotel for a crib.
However, you must keep in mind that not everyone knows that they can
do this. I've never had reason to know about this sort of thing before,
so I had no idea that hotels had cribs. (and for all I know, maybe they
*don't* in Canada, or at least in Ottawa, where the hotels are blatantly
obviously geared towards men who are travelling alone. I will find out.)
Old August 14th 04, 12:52 AM
TXVIOLET31

I think 12 weeks is still early for some people to want to go on a vacation. A
vacation with a new baby and my toddler wouldnt feel like much of a vaca to
me more like my life times 10! I think it can be gracious to say, I honestly
am not up to going, you and the girls have a wonderful time, and we'll all do
something fun when you get back. I wouldnt begrudge him the time, and sometimes
time alone bonding with Dad can be a great thing.
I am a stepmom, and its not always an easy adjustment. You shouldnt feel the
need to justify your relationship with them if there isnt a problem. If
everything is rosy, great, but if its not, I would find it refreshing to see
someone say what they really have conflicts with and with and work through them
to be a better stepmom.
Old August 14th 04, 01:35 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

What's wrong with asking the hotel for a crib?

Well, this has already been suggested, which has helped, but to answer
your question: there is nothing wrong with asking the hotel for a crib.
However, you must keep in mind that not everyone knows that they can do
this. I've never had reason to know about this sort of thing before, so
I had no idea that hotels had cribs. (and for all I know, maybe they
*don't* in Canada, or at least in Ottawa, where the hotels are blatantly
obviously geared towards men who are travelling alone. I will find out.)

Ahh, I gotcha. I thought maybe you had a reason
you were unwilling to use the hotel crib ;-) As someone
else mentioned, it's possible you'd get a nasty or unsafe
crib, but I've actually had very good luck in a variety
of hotels. It certainly beats hauling something with you
unless you've got a lot of room in the car.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 14th 04, 02:26 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

[...]

I'm most definitely bringing the Peg Perego stroller (we've got an older
Graco model that someone gave us, but it's huge and not trunk-friendly),
so worse coming to worse, the baby can sleep in that. I'm sure it will
be OK. It will be like the bassinet. In fact, maybe I will prefer the
stroller anyway.

I'm just wondering what to do about swimming. The pools generally don't
have age-related rules or anything, so I'm not worried about *that*, but
I'm worried about what to do *with* the baby. When the baby is awake, I
can take him/her (yeah I'm still trying to hide the sex from you all,
heh heh, although I've let hints slip here and there) in with me,
provided I can find appropriately sized diapers meant for swimming and
some sort of appropriate floatation device (suggestions welcome, and I
understand that the baby may simply be too young to fit safely into
anything), but if (s)he is sleeping, I'm wondering if I can just let
her/him sleep in the stroller, off to the side, while I swim. My only
concern is hotel rules regarding that. I guess I'll have to find out.
If we go to the Sheraton, it will be sooooo nice because that pool is
always completely empty. I'm not sure about the Westin, because I
haven't actually used their pool yet, however the last couple of times,
I met up with people who were definitely using the pool. I wouldn't
want the baby to be disturbed. I also don't want to feel like I'm
abandoning my kid. ;-) I also wouldn't want to leave the stroller,
with baby, around strangers (*obviously*, especially when there is a
pool nearby).
Old August 14th 04, 04:39 AM
Leslie

some sort of appropriate floatation device (suggestions welcome, and I
understand that the baby may simply be too young to fit safely into
anything),

IIRC, babies have to be able to hold their heads up pretty well to use
those--why not just HOLD the baby? He will feel safer in the water that way
anyhow.

but if (s)he is sleeping, I'm wondering if I can just let
her/him sleep in the stroller, off to the side, while I swim. My only
concern is hotel rules regarding that.

No hotel I have ever been at had any rules against that, nor did they even have
people around to enforce whatever rules they claimed to have!

I guess I'll have to find out.
If we go to the Sheraton, it will be sooooo nice because that pool is
always completely empty. I'm not sure about the Westin, because I
haven't actually used their pool yet, however the last couple of times,
I met up with people who were definitely using the pool. I wouldn't
want the baby to be disturbed. I also don't want to feel like I'm
abandoning my kid. ;-) I also wouldn't want to leave the stroller,
with baby, around strangers (*obviously*, especially when there is a
pool nearby).

If I were you, I wouldn't go out of sight of the baby; I would more or less
bounce around in the water near wherever the baby is.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth