Opinions.....is this rude?

Old August 14th 04, 04:41 AM
Leslie

Default Opinions.....is this rude?

Ericka said:

As someone
else mentioned, it's possible you'd get a nasty or unsafe
crib, but I've actually had very good luck in a variety
of hotels. It certainly beats hauling something with you

I stopped using hotel cribs after one of them collapsed! We get two hotel
rooms these days so William has gotten a whole bed to himself for quite a
while, but when that hasn't been possible, I just make a pallet on the floor
for him. It makes it very easy to lie on the floor next to him and nurse him
to sleep, and it doesn't take up the room that a crib does.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old August 14th 04, 05:25 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Leslie wrote:
some sort of appropriate floatation device (suggestions welcome, and I
understand that the baby may simply be too young to fit safely into
anything),

IIRC, babies have to be able to hold their heads up pretty well to use
those--why not just HOLD the baby?

Because I don't want to rely on that. What if I slip? In some hotels,
the pool (and the room that it's in) is so completely empty that I'll be
the only adult there. I would rather have some sort of backup in case I
let go for some reason (e.g. if the baby wiggles out). The shallow ends
are not always all that shallow (we're talking big inground pools, here
- no kiddie wading areas). It would be especially risky if there were
other people there, making waves, but no lifeguard.

He will feel safer in the water that way
anyhow.

You must be assuming that I would just let the baby float around freely.
Um, no. I would imagine that *no one* would do that. I will be
holding the baby, but if I slip for some reason, I want some backup that
will keep the baby afloat. I wonder what they use in those water babies
classes? If they use nothing, then I'm surprised.

If I were you, I wouldn't go out of sight of the baby; I would more or less
bounce around in the water near wherever the baby is.

Well, yeah. ;-) However, I don't want to have the stroller be close
enough so that it might get accidentally knocked into the pool by some
other kids. In an empty room, I wouldn't worry. I'll just have to wait
and see how busy the room is, for this one. The problem is that the
Westin tends to be more popular a hotel (beats me as to why), so their
pool might never be quiet enough for my liking. Oh well - we'll see.
Old August 14th 04, 05:44 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Leslie wrote:
some sort of appropriate floatation device (suggestions welcome, and I
understand that the baby may simply be too young to fit safely into
anything),

IIRC, babies have to be able to hold their heads up pretty well to use

I just went and looked around online, and there are baby life jackets
available for a baby as small as mine should be by then. Mine will be
around 3 months by then. I will have to wait and see what head control
is like. I'll have to research the baby life jackets a bit more.
Old August 14th 04, 06:01 AM
Carol Ann

Ok, DH wants to plan a small vacation with his 2 daughters,,,7 and
14,,,,,

~Yippee! Alone Mommytime with Chloe'!!

he wants to take them to a huge ( FUN ) water park in Erie, then to
Canada....to see the falls,
and to the beach...etc.
from what I understand you should'nt take a baby out of the country till
they have x amount of shots....

~I wouldn't want to travel far with a 12 week old.

and she cant go on the beach....she is very fair, complected, and might
burn OR be cold on the beach if its chilly ( and IT IS! ) and my main
concern is ''sand in her eyes'' she doesnt even sit up by
herself yet..shes 12 weeks....

~Beach would be fun, but I would recommend all the safety stuff. Morgan
wears sun glasses. She looks so cool in them. Then you need a hat,
sunscreen, light long sleeved clothes...aw heck.....too much trouble! LOL!

DH thinks I should just go and sit in the hotel while him and his kids
have a ball...

~Sitting in a hotel room with room service and movies sounds like luxury to
me! Just be sure to take along whatever toys Chloe would like to play with.
I would also recommend nice long walks on the beach as the sun goes down or
early morning. Sounds like a good "memory" to make.

Is it selfish of me to expect him to wait till next year, for a
vacation? because I told him she would probably be able to do a beach at
age one,

~I wouldn't call it selfish; just more overly cautious to a point of
affecting those around you. I'm the same way...waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to
paranoid. But, we are alike so I get your reasoning. I think it would be
more of a "****er" if I had to explain why he should select a vacation that
fits the entire family!

but he wants to take his kids,,,,,,,
they BOTH had been on a NICE vacation already with their moms....as a
matter of fact, the 7 year old is at the beach as we speak!
PLUS we went to a nice resort a few weeks ago,,,it was all indoors,,,I
walked around with chloe while they had fun!

~Oooh, lucky you!!!!!! I get to walk around the mall! I really NEED a
holiday!!

BUT this place,,( the water park ) you cant take a stroller in, and she
is too little to sit in the water, so we would have to stay in the hotel
room,,,

~I personally wouldn't take Morgan to a water park regardless of her age.
The one time I went some nincompoop stuck his leg up in the landing pool and
I ran into his foot. Knocked me out.

I would MUCH rather spend my time with chloe than leave her with a
sitter...that is OUT!
DH would never expect me to get a sitter either...if it was just him and
I...then I would have my mom keep her BUT i wont leave Chloe behind to
go on a ''family'' vacation!

~Morgan won't be alone with anyone other than my mother until she is at
least 2 years old.....I hope.

But I just want to stay home if he wants to go that bad......

so, is it rude of ME to stay here with Chloe?

~No. Think of it as a vacation away from the rest of the family. Invite a
friend over. If you know of any other moms, have a nice play date at your
house!!

and is it rude of HIM to still go knowing chloe is too small yet?

~He's thinking of his other children. I don't think he's being
intentionally rude.

I think the final desicion is that I am going to stay home with
Chloe...but i was just wondering what you all thought?

~Think I answered that many times above.

~Carol Ann

Old August 14th 04, 07:13 AM
Jamie Clark

In general, most people just hold their baby. Babies aren't that slippery
when dry or wet, and you don't hear lots of terrible stories about mothers
who slipped and accidentally let their baby drop into the pool. Really. I
can't remember the last time I slipped in a pool -- maybe when I was 12, and
being very wiggly and stupid with friends, but not as an adult, walking
around, getting in or out. I've taken Taylor in the pool lots of times,
sometimes with a floaty device, and many times without, and we've never had
any problems. I think once your baby is in your arms, and you've bathed
him/her a few times, you'll get a better feel for how it might be in a pool
together.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/
enough for my liking. Oh well - we'll see.

Old August 14th 04, 01:53 PM
newfy.1

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message

I just went and looked around online, and there are baby life jackets
available for a baby as small as mine should be by then. Mine will be
around 3 months by then. I will have to wait and see what head control
is like. I'll have to research the baby life jackets a bit more.

Oh, they make them. Just don't be too dissapointed if the baby despises it.
They are *very* bulky and restrictive. We're boaters and really didn't do
too much boating the first year of ds' life because he detested the life
jacket.

I'd just hold the baby. You aren't going to be in the water all that long
anyway.

JennP.

Old August 14th 04, 02:27 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jamie Clark wrote:
I think once your baby is in your arms, and you've bathed
him/her a few times, you'll get a better feel for how it might be in a pool
together.

Yeah - it's hard to plan anything before you know what the child is
going to be like. ;-)
Old August 14th 04, 02:29 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

newfy.1 wrote:

You aren't going to be in the water all that long
anyway.

Yeah I have to keep reminding myself of that. I keep forgetting and
thinking that I'll be able to keep the baby in there with me for an
hour, and then I say "oh but you just *know* that the baby is going to
like it for all of 2 seconds, heh heh."
Old August 14th 04, 02:57 PM
Leslie

I said:

why not just HOLD the baby?

And Vicky replied:

Because I don't want to rely on that. What if I slip? In some hotels,
the pool (and the room that it's in) is so completely empty that I'll be
the only adult there. I would rather have some sort of backup in case I
let go for some reason (e.g. if the baby wiggles out). The shallow ends
are not always all that shallow (we're talking big inground pools, here
- no kiddie wading areas). It would be especially risky if there were
other people there, making waves, but no lifeguard.

Well, if you DID slip, it's unlikely the baby would drown in the second or two
it would take you to get back up again. I have fallen down before while
carrying a baby on dry land but that doesn't mean I think I should always have
the baby in a stroller just in case!

He will feel safer in the water that way
anyhow.

You must be assuming that I would just let the baby float around freely.

I didn't say that at all. A baby that little wouldn't know the difference
between floating freely and being in a flotation device that you were holding
on to anyway. I meant that feeling cold wet plastic on your skin while
floating in a large pool of water would probably be more scary to a small
infant than being held close to its mother's body while in the same pool. I
thought when you spoke of flotation devices that you were speaking of the kind
that babies sit in.

Um, no. I would imagine that *no one* would do that. I will be
holding the baby, but if I slip for some reason, I want some backup that
will keep the baby afloat. I wonder what they use in those water babies
classes? If they use nothing, then I'm surprised.

I've taken the water baby class and IIRC we used nothing. They do have a thing
that goes around baby's waist and sits on their back; I think if you dropped
the baby it would still float with that but it's head would go under. They
also make bathing suits with floaty things right inside them; those may be
meant for older babies though.

If I were you, I wouldn't go out of sight of the baby; I would more or less
bounce around in the water near wherever the baby is.

Well, yeah. ;-) However, I don't want to have the stroller be close
enough so that it might get accidentally knocked into the pool by some
other kids.

I agree. I wouldn't have a stroller if there are kids running around. What
about just an infant car seat? that's what we used with my second while he was
napping and I was playing with my three year old in the pool. I placed him in
the shade next to the rec building, far from the edge and out of people's
way--this was a very corwded pool.

In an empty room, I wouldn't worry. I'll just have to wait
and see how busy the room is, for this one. The problem is that the
Westin tends to be more popular a hotel (beats me as to why), so their
pool might never be quiet enough for my liking. Oh well - we'll see.

Probably depends a lot on what time of day you are able to go swimming as well.
You might ask the hotel staff if they have noticed when the pool is less
likely to be in use.

Old August 14th 04, 03:12 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

I'm just wondering what to do about swimming. The pools generally don't
have age-related rules or anything, so I'm not worried about *that*, but
I'm worried about what to do *with* the baby. When the baby is awake, I
can take him/her (yeah I'm still trying to hide the sex from you all,
heh heh, although I've let hints slip here and there) in with me,
provided I can find appropriately sized diapers meant for swimming and
some sort of appropriate floatation device (suggestions welcome, and I
understand that the baby may simply be too young to fit safely into
anything),

Also check the pool temp. It should be at least 80F
for a baby to stay in for a long time.

but if (s)he is sleeping, I'm wondering if I can just let
her/him sleep in the stroller, off to the side, while I swim.

That, I probably wouldn't do. You don't know when
kids (or adults, for that matter!) will come charging through
and knock the stroller or whatever.

Best wishes,
Ericka