Celebrating Menarche

Old October 16th 03, 04:42 PM
Wendy

Default Celebrating Menarche

Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy
Old October 16th 03, 05:05 PM
dragonlady

In article , Wendy
wrote:

Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy

We took the family out for a dinner, and gave the girls a ring with a
red stone in it.

I thought about putting together a more elaborate ritual, but neither of
the girls was interested.

meh

Old October 16th 03, 07:09 PM
JennP

"Wendy" wrote in message
Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy

Hmmm, there was an interesting article in Mothering about a year or so ago.
You might want to try to research it. IMO, it was a little over the top but
that's just me. If you are looking to celebrate it then you might find
something interesting. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 16th 03, 07:43 PM
Sophie

"JennP" wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote in message
Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy

Hmmm, there was an interesting article in Mothering about a year or so

ago.
You might want to try to research it. IMO, it was a little over the top

but
that's just me. If you are looking to celebrate it then you might find
something interesting. HTH
--
JennP.

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

Old October 16th 03, 07:53 PM
JennP

"Sophie" wrote in message

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I guess the transition into becoming a woman or something like that. Like I
said, not my cup of tea, but it was interesting since I'd never really
thought of it that way. It was a really touchy-feely kind of article. When I
was that age, if my mom tried to "celebrate" it, I would have been
mortified. Again, JMO.

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

Sounds good to me. Any excuse to shop!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 16th 03, 07:56 PM
Banty

In article , Sophie says...

"Wendy" wrote in message
Is there some nice thing that mothers do with their daughters when they
first start their period? All my mother did was point out the uses of
cold water. Can I do better than this?

Wendy

Hmmm, there was an interesting article in Mothering about a year or so

ago.
You might want to try to research it. IMO, it was a little over the top

but
that's just me. If you are looking to celebrate it then you might find
something interesting. HTH
--
JennP.

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

Only the beginning of biological womanhood. Seems work celebrating to me!

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

How about a lunch out, and a shopping trip for something special like her first
heels or a nice coat.

Banty

Old October 16th 03, 08:08 PM
Wendy

Sophie wrote:

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

In fact, there aren't many life passages bigger than that one for a
child. I believe in acknowledging people's life passages. (I send
graduation cards, too.)

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

I'm thinking chocolate. :-)

Wendy
Old October 16th 03, 08:51 PM
Sophie

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

I'd be thrilled to not have gotten my period till a yr later than I did.
Till you're ready for kids, what's the great thing about a period?

In fact, there aren't many life passages bigger than that one for a
child. I believe in acknowledging people's life passages. (I send
graduation cards, too.)

You have to do something to graduate (work hard). I still don't get the
need to celebrate your period - lol.

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

I'm thinking chocolate. :-)

Wendy

Chocolate is always good

Old October 16th 03, 08:58 PM
AGreen1209

When I
was that age, if my mom tried to "celebrate" it, I would have been
mortified. Again, JMO.

Me too. In fact, I didn't tell my mom for a few days, and when I did she just
said "Oh really? Do you know what to do?" I said "yes", and that was the end
of it. Anything more would have been beyond embarrassing. If she'd done some
sort of ritual celebrating I would have hated absolutely every minute of it.

JMHO.

Amanda

Old October 16th 03, 09:06 PM
Donna Metler

"Sophie" wrote in message

I'm not being sarcastic/mean/weird but what's there to celebrate about
*that*?

I recall being nearly 14 - a 9th grader - and everyone else in the world
(including my little sister) had gotten their period. I felt left

behind
in childhood. I've got an 8th grade daughter in the same boat. It's
really a big deal to the kid.

I'd be thrilled to not have gotten my period till a yr later than I did.
Till you're ready for kids, what's the great thing about a period?

Well, I didn't get mine until I was almost 16-which was late enough that I
was absolutely convinced something was horribly wrong with me. It may not be
a big deal if you're one of the first in your group to get it, but believe
me, when you're last, it's a major event!

In fact, there aren't many life passages bigger than that one for a
child. I believe in acknowledging people's life passages. (I send
graduation cards, too.)

You have to do something to graduate (work hard). I still don't get the
need to celebrate your period - lol.

A mother-daughter shopping trip would sound good to me, for clothes or
whatever little things she might like.

I'm thinking chocolate. :-)

Wendy

Chocolate is always good