Book Question

Old September 13th 06, 01:41 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default Book Question

In article ,
"Tori M" wrote:

If a book does not say it is a abridged it probably isnt right? I HATE
reading abriged books.. would be like reading cliff notes:P onely book I
almost read that way was beowolf.. I hated that book.

Look on the obverse (back) of the title page in the cataloguing details. It
should be mentioned there, or at least implied -- for example, a 2006
copyright date on Little Women would make me suspicious.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 13th 06, 06:05 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it by Lewis Carol and
it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland, Through The
Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria, and
Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these books but should they
all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including illustrations?

Tori
"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tori M" wrote:

If a book does not say it is a abridged it probably isnt right? I HATE
reading abriged books.. would be like reading cliff notes:P onely book I
almost read that way was beowolf.. I hated that book.

Look on the obverse (back) of the title page in the cataloguing details.
It
should be mentioned there, or at least implied -- for example, a 2006
copyright date on Little Women would make me suspicious.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old September 13th 06, 10:52 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"Tori M" wrote in message
What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it by Lewis Carol

and
it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland, Through The
Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria,

and
Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these books but should

they
all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including illustrations?

I would be very leery of that based just on the length of Alice and Through
the Looking Glass. My copy of those, alone, was nearly three inches thick!

Aula

Old September 13th 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

I would be very leery of that based just on the length of Alice and
Through
the Looking Glass. My copy of those, alone, was nearly three inches
thick!

Aula

Thank you Thats what I suspected. It is a long book but the font is big
enough that it makes up for the size.. not a normal book font.

Tori

Old September 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Aula" wrote in
news

"Tori M" wrote in message
What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it
by Lewis Carol

and
it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland,
Through The Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A
Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria,

and
Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these
books but should

they
all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including
illustrations?

I would be very leery of that based just on the length of
Alice and Through the Looking Glass. My copy of those,
alone, was nearly three inches thick!

maybe... i have a copy of The Complete Works of Lewis Carrol,
with the Tenniel illustrations. it's 1160 pages & only 2"
thick. it is not abridged & has a lot of lesser known poems &
essays.
however the type is fairly small... Alice & Through the
Looking Glass together are only 250 pages (& that includes the
book Intro), then there is Sylvie & Bruno, Sylvie & Bruno
Concluded, a collection of his verse, puzzles (& solutions)
from Wonderland, prologues to plays, Phantasmagoria, College
Rhymes & notes, acrostics, inscriptions & other verse, Three
sunsets & other poems, short stories, & a Miscellany.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old September 13th 06, 07:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Tori M wrote:
What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it by Lewis Carol and
it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland, Through The
Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria, and
Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these books but should they
all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including illustrations?

If it's the one I think it is, it isn't abridged.
It's certainly possible for the books to fit in that many
pages, depending on the number of illustrations included.
None of them are very long books, and some of them are
rather short.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 13th 06, 07:25 PM posted to misc.kids
Irene

Vanessa wrote:

UGH! My senior English teacher made us memorize and recite as a test
grade the entire prologue to The Canterbury Tales in Middle Engish.
Surprisingly, this was the lady that inspired me to teach (but also
inspired me *never* to make kids memorize lines from *anything*).

Hey - we had to do that, too! But, it was junior year English. She
told us it would be a good party trick someday. And strangely enough,
if you get a bunch of us together from hs, you may end up hearing us
try to stumble through it - quite amusing.

(I never had to read Beowulf)

Irene

Old September 14th 06, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
Tori M wrote:
What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it by Lewis Carol
and it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland, Through The
Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria,
and Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these books but
should they all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including
illustrations?

If it's the one I think it is, it isn't abridged.
It's certainly possible for the books to fit in that many
pages, depending on the number of illustrations included.
None of them are very long books, and some of them are
rather short.

Ok.. Enigma i think it was said she had a simular book with the same
illustrator.. I get discouraged reading a book just to find out it wasnt the
whole book later :P

Tori

Old September 14th 06, 02:28 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Tori M" wrote in
:

Tori M wrote:
What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it
by Lewis Carol and it seems short for 6 titles. It has
Alice in Wonderland, Through The Looking Glass, The
Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria,
and Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of
these books but should they all fit in 439 pages with say
a size 14 font including illustrations?

If it's the one I think it is, it isn't abridged.
It's certainly possible for the books to fit in that many
pages, depending on the number of illustrations included.
None of them are very long books, and some of them are
rather short.

Ok.. Enigma i think it was said she had a simular book with
the same illustrator.. I get discouraged reading a book
just to find out it wasnt the whole book later :P

Alice in Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass take about
250 pages (with intros & illos). Hunting of The Snark is a
poem of 4-5 pages. Phantasmagoria is another, longer set of
poems (67 pages in my book). Phantasmagoria itself is only
20ish pages.
Tangled Tales is a series of mathematical questions in a
story format (word problems anyone?). it was a series of
magazine articles & is around 87 pages.
i'm not sure what the Nonsense from Letters is, but it may be
excerpts from letters containing puzzles or acrostics that he
sent to his child friends. so, that particular section may be
abridged.

lee
Old September 14th 06, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Tori M" wrote:

What is making me suspicious is that it has 6 books in it by Lewis Carol and
it seems short for 6 titles. It has Alice in Wonderland, Through The
Looking Glass, The Hunting of the Snark, A Tangled Tale, Phantasmagoria, and
Nonsense From Letters. I have never read any of these books but should they
all fit in 439 pages with say a size 14 font including illustrations?

I did have the Complete Works of Lewis Carroll given to me when I was
a kid. It was a single book, rather small type, about 3" thick.
Probably thin paper. I read it - at least Alice and Through the
Looking Glass under the covers at night when I was a kid.