ummmm--- ok

Old October 18th 06, 09:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Tori M

Default ummmm--- ok

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/...RpBHNlYwM3NTc-
Wed Oct 18, 10:00 AM ET

ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school south
of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other
unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the
school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School
Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local
rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro,
a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago,
saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., also recently
banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, S.C., school outlawed all
unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there
are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie
Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston.
"Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of
the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said

--
Mom To:
Bonnie (03/20/02)

From the end of the earth I will cry unto thee when my heart is overwhelmed:
lead me to the rock that is higher then I. Psalm 61:2

Old October 18th 06, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Tori M" wrote in message
.. .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/...RpBHNlYwM3NTc-
Wed Oct 18, 10:00 AM ET

ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school
south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any
other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and
hold the school liable.

DS says they can't run during recess. I've watched the kids and they run
from swing to slide and soforth, but I don't see tag and chasing games. I
think it's banned at DS's school. Wrestling games are against the rules.

Old October 18th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Tori M" wrote in message
.. .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061018/...RpBHNlYwM3NTc-
Wed Oct 18, 10:00 AM ET

ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Tag, you're out! Officials at an elementary school
south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any
other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and
hold the school liable.

DS says they can't run during recess. I've watched the kids and they run
from swing to slide and soforth, but I don't see tag and chasing games. I
think it's banned at DS's school. Wrestling games are against the rules.

I'd have thought there would be more accidents on swings than running
about-particularly running to swings.
What do they do when it's cold? #1 says that if they say they're cold at
playtime they're told to run around. I'd have thought it would mean that the
children couldn't play outside if it gets really cold.
Debbie

Old October 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"Welches" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Tori M" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I suppose they just wear jackets. It doesn't snow here or anything. I
don't like running around in the cold myself, because my lungs freeze and I
find it hard to breathe.

Old October 19th 06, 01:52 AM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Welches" wrote in message

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Tori M" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I keep getting more and more shocked. No running during recess?
What the heck else is recess for?

Bizby

Old October 19th 06, 02:12 AM posted to misc.kids
sscreen

I'd have thought there would be more accidents on swings than running
about-particularly running to swings.

When I was a youngster in school, there was only one accident on the
playground. A girl broke her leg on the merry-go-round. Of course, the
merry-go-round was removed from the playground that same month...

Seems silly to ban contact sports and sports that involve running when
a child can get hurt on something as innocent as a mere merry-go-round.

Old October 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Aula

"sscreen" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'd have thought there would be more accidents on swings than running
about-particularly running to swings.

When I was a youngster in school, there was only one accident on the
playground. A girl broke her leg on the merry-go-round. Of course, the
merry-go-round was removed from the playground that same month...

Seems silly to ban contact sports and sports that involve running when
a child can get hurt on something as innocent as a mere merry-go-round.

maybe they'll install couches in the play ground, since "they" appear to be
more into raising fat couch potatoes.

/sarcastic mode off

I wonder when the thinking people will start to exercise their strength in
the world again.

-aula

Old October 19th 06, 12:27 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Aula" wrote in
:

"sscreen" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'd have thought there would be more accidents on swings
than running about-particularly running to swings.

When I was a youngster in school, there was only one
accident on the playground. A girl broke her leg on the
merry-go-round. Of course, the merry-go-round was removed
from the playground that same month...

Seems silly to ban contact sports and sports that involve
running when a child can get hurt on something as innocent
as a mere merry-go-round.

maybe they'll install couches in the play ground, since
"they" appear to be more into raising fat couch potatoes.

don't forget installing playstations & xboxes...

I wonder when the thinking people will start to exercise
their strength in the world again.

when Congress gets a backbone & actually passes the
legislation limiting petty lawsuits? it's unfortunate that
people refuse to take personal responsibility anymore & need
that legislated, but really... accidents happen, and they
*are* nothing more than accidents. you do NOT have the right
to sue for any little bump or scrape little Susie or Johnny
gets.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 19th 06, 06:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Jonathan Levy

enigma wrote:
when Congress gets a backbone & actually passes the
legislation limiting petty lawsuits? it's unfortunate that
people refuse to take personal responsibility anymore & need
that legislated, but really... accidents happen, and they
*are* nothing more than accidents. you do NOT have the right
to sue for any little bump or scrape little Susie or Johnny
gets.

I know exactly how to get that passed. Couple it with legislation
providing universal health insurance so that when accidents that really
are no one's fault happen to families without coverage, the expense is
not ruinous.

Old October 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Jonathan Levy" wrote in
oups.com:

enigma wrote:
when Congress gets a backbone & actually passes the
legislation limiting petty lawsuits? it's unfortunate that
people refuse to take personal responsibility anymore &
need that legislated, but really... accidents happen, and
they *are* nothing more than accidents. you do NOT have
the right to sue for any little bump or scrape little
Susie or Johnny gets.

I know exactly how to get that passed. Couple it with
legislation providing universal health insurance so that
when accidents that really are no one's fault happen to
families without coverage, the expense is not ruinous.

i'm one of the uninsured. i'm fortunate in that the heath
care group i go to has discounts for the uninsured (it is
basicly thier savings for not having to deal with an insurance
company passed on to me/my family).
i'd be up a creek if something really major hit, like cancer,
but otherwise we're ok. hopefully...
lee